BBQ Smokers

TheCowboy

Reaction score
Today I did something stupid. We bought three racks of ribs for our GAS grill (yes gas). I put one rib rack on each burner that was off and put a pan of water on the last burner on high and cooked it for about 5 hours.It was fairly done but I had to actually grill it for the last 10 minutes to make sure it was fully cooked. Man it turned out bad. Instead of being fall off the bone, it was rip and tug off the bone. I hate it.

What does your BBQ Smoker look like? Show it off! I want one, but I also need a new gas grill. It was be cool if it was combined.

This is what I am looking at for right now as a smoker: http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Of...TF8&qid=1372542935&sr=8-2&keywords=bbq+smoker

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
If you are new to the smoking thing, get a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. Check out this site. I'm sure there are many great smokers out there, but this will give you good results without investing a ton of money. Once you get into the game, you'll might want to try the off-set cookers. The bullet style cookers require less charcoal and produce good BBQ.

Check out this site for a ton of info!

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

TheCowboy

Reaction score
If you are new to the smoking thing, get a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. Check out this site. I'm sure there are many great smokers out there, but this will give you good results without investing a ton of money. Once you get into the game, you'll might want to try the off-set cookers. The bullet style cookers require less charcoal and produce good BBQ.

Check out this site for a ton of info!

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

I had something like that before. I hardly got ribs onto it. But for brisket and chicken it is fine I guess. It was kind of cheap but I'm sure this is the better one.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Today I did something stupid. We bought three racks of ribs for our GAS grill (yes gas). I put one rib rack on each burner that was off and put a pan of water on the last burner on high and cooked it for about 5 hours.It was fairly done but I had to actually grill it for the last 10 minutes to make sure it was fully cooked. Man it turned out bad. Instead of being fall off the bone, it was rip and tug off the bone. I hate it.

What does your BBQ Smoker look like? Show it off! I want one, but I also need a new gas grill. It was be cool if it was combined.

This is what I am looking at for right now as a smoker: http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Of...TF8&qid=1372542935&sr=8-2&keywords=bbq+smoker

When I started to smoke more of my meats I started losing the time to do it, so I went electric (some would tar and feather me for that). I've got a $200 electric smoker and I couldn't be happier. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it does its job. You can spend a lot more money for that, but all I need is something that heats low and cooks. I smoke ribs and pork butt a couple of times a month. I went with electric because I wanted something I can set and forget. I have a very good gas grill, but no matter what I've tried I haven't had luck cooking low and slow like a good smoker will get you.

Here is what I got on the smoker thing. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smoke-Ho...ctric-Smoker-30168E-DS/203223801#.Uc-UbrHD-wk

Am I missing something? I can't embed links? I have to paste the whole link now?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Smoking is an art form with several interpretations. At home in Texas, we have a really nice grill that can be pulled with a hitch on it. When the wife and I travel for months, we buy a gas grill at Home Depot/Lowe's and we smoke ribs, brisket, pork butt, etc. Gas grills can be used as smokers really well, but one item is a must....get a side fire box. If your gas grill doesn't have an option for a side box, get a new one or just get a true smoker. This is usually the one we get...

http://www.chargriller.com/index.ph...&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

You can use gas, charcoal and smoke with the side box.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
When I started to smoke more of my meats I started losing the time to do it, so I went electric (some would tar and feather me for that). I've got a $200 electric smoker and I couldn't be happier. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it does its job. You can spend a lot more money for that, but all I need is something that heats low and cooks. I smoke ribs and pork butt a couple of times a month. I went with electric because I wanted something I can set and forget. I have a very good gas grill, but no matter what I've tried I haven't had luck cooking low and slow like a good smoker will get you.

Here is what I got on the smoker thing. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smoke-Ho...ctric-Smoker-30168E-DS/203223801#.Uc-UbrHD-wk

Am I missing something? I can't embed links? I have to paste the whole link now?

Now that is interesting. How does it work as an electric smoker? Put brisket in it, set it for 200 degrees and let it do its thing?

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now that is interesting. How does it work as an electric smoker? Put brisket in it, set it for 200 degrees and let it do its thing?

Pretty much. Don't forget the wood to smoke. It has a plate you put your wood on. I usually set it higher until the wood starts to smoke and then I turn it down to cooking temp.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
Pretty much. Don't forget the wood to smoke. It has a plate you put your wood on. I usually set it higher until the wood starts to smoke and then I turn it down to cooking temp.

That's nice. No coals or anything either right? Do you still get that good BBQ taste and a smoke ring, ect?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's nice. No coals or anything either right? Do you still get that good BBQ taste and a smoke ring, ect?

I never use coals to smoke, don't want it to taste like charcoal and lighter fluid :)

Use only wood, I like a mix of apple, cherry and mesquite. Hickory is ok, but don't use too much of it. A helpful tip when smoking, spray a mixture of juices over the meat every so often(like apple juice or a mixture of peach/apple, etc). If doing ribs, after 2-2.5 hours, wrap them tight in aluminum foil then finish cooking.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I never use coals to smoke, don't want it to taste like charcoal and lighter fluid :)

Use only wood, I like a mix of apple, cherry and mesquite. Hickory is ok, but don't use too much of it. A helpful tip when smoking, spray a mixture of juices over the meat every so often(like apple juice or a mixture of peach/apple, etc). If doing ribs, after 2-2.5 hours, wrap them tight in aluminum foil then finish cooking.

No coals, all wood? I've never used wood but I would really like to. I love to Smoke but my only gripes with it is finding out if it is done enough, how long to cook something and how to keep a consistent fire. I like the idea of the electric one but I feel like it's the lazy man method. And that silver bullet thing doesn't seem right to me for some reason. That Duo Model you posted would be perfect. Or just to have a separate actual smoker.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No coals, all wood? I've never used wood but I would really like to. I love to Smoke but my only gripes with it is finding out if it is done enough, how long to cook something and how to keep a consistent fire. I like the idea of the electric one but I feel like it's the lazy man method. And that silver bullet thing doesn't seem right to me for some reason. That Duo Model you posted would be perfect. Or just to have a separate actual smoker.

Some use a bed of coals with wood over them to get a more consistent temp. I only use wood, it is a lot harder to regulate the temp but you will figure it out eventually. Ribs take approx. 4-5 hours at a temp between 200 to 220. Brisket is low and slow, around 200 temp at 12 -18 hours. The lower the heat and longer time=more tender meat.

For your first true smoke, don't go over 240 and eyeball or use a meat them(on brisket). It is ok for the temp to fluctuate while ya learning to control it, just don't let it get too hot. Some cook at high temps for less time, but it can turn out dry and tough if ya don't know what your doing.

Low and slow is the way to go :)

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I've used Webers and smokers (barrel grill with fire box) for years. The cheap ones you get at Lowes, Home Depot or Academy won't last but for a couple of years before they rust out. I finally spent more and got the Big Green Egg. Best decision I ever made. You can smoke and grill with it as well as cook pizza. Uses hardwood charcoal and 1 bag will last over a month BBQ's a couple times a week. It's expensive, but well worth it if you're serious about cooking ribs and brisket.

Staggerlee

chip_gilkey
Reaction score
I posted this question on here last year and got some of the best advice ever. First, go to the bbq brethern forums, just google it. They have everything youll ever hope to know about smoking on there. I eventually bought a weber smokey mountain smoker for 300 (mid-line model) and smoking is soooo easy. If you have any other questions just pm me and ill be happy to help.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I posted this question on here last year and got some of the best advice ever. First, go to the bbq brethern forums, just google it. They have everything youll ever hope to know about smoking on there. I eventually bought a weber smokey mountain smoker for 300 (mid-line model) and smoking is soooo easy. If you have any other questions just pm me and ill be happy to help.

That thing scares me. When I think of smokers I think of things like this:
BBQ_smoker_AA20X60-closed.jpg

But that electric thing really intrigues me. I just can't believe it will keep a consistent temperature without my help. It's the lazy man method I guess but if its good I don't care. The smokey mountain one is also a choice but still scares me. Decisions decisions decisions...

ologan

Reaction score
Smoking is an art form with several interpretations. At home in Texas, we have a really nice grill that can be pulled with a hitch on it. When the wife and I travel for months, we buy a gas grill at Home Depot/Lowe's and we smoke ribs, brisket, pork butt, etc. Gas grills can be used as smokers really well, but one item is a must....get a side fire box. If your gas grill doesn't have an option for a side box, get a new one or just get a true smoker. This is usually the one we get...

http://www.chargriller.com/index.ph...&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

You can use gas, charcoal and smoke with the side box.

It took me and two friends to lift this set up into the recycle metal bin a month ago. Had it about 4 1/2 years, and it was fun to use the side box for smoking. However, you may want to think about lining the curved bottom of all chambers with the heaviest duty aluminum foil you can find to help prevent rusting. I went out a month ago to stir fry veggies on the gas grill portion and found I didn't have a bottom to that portion of the grill. I could have cooked on it, I guess, but with a completely rusted out bottom there was no protection between the gas fire..........and the gas cylinder! I really liked it for it's versatility;It just didn't last that long.
I asked the wife if she wanted me to get another like it, and she said "No...go out and get your Big Green Egg". So far, I've had fantastic steaks, excellent pizza, and just chowed down on a smoked pork loin this evening, that stayed very moist during slow cooking. Some folks have had these "Eggs" for over a decade, with no problems with the ceramic.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It took me and two friends to lift this set up into the recycle metal bin a month ago. Had it about 4 1/2 years, and it was fun to use the side box for smoking. However, you may want to think about lining the curved bottom of all chambers with the heaviest duty aluminum foil you can find to help prevent rusting. I went out a month ago to stir fry veggies on the gas grill portion and found I didn't have a bottom to that portion of the grill. I could have cooked on it, I guess, but with a completely rusted out bottom there was no protection between the gas fire..........and the gas cylinder! I really liked it for it's versatility;It just didn't last that long.
I asked the wife if she wanted me to get another like it, and she said "No...go out and get your Big Green Egg". So far, I've had fantastic steaks, excellent pizza, and just chowed down on a smoked pork loin this evening, that stayed very moist during slow cooking. Some folks have had these "Eggs" for over a decade, with no problems with the ceramic.

Yes, they are heavy suckers for sure. I don't use this particular grill for longer than six months, so rust is never an issue. When we move back home, I give it to neighbors who lack a grill before we leave :)

When we head back to Cali, we buy a new one, rinse and repeat. My mac daddy stays at home in Houston. If and when we want BBQ out here, we have to cook it ourselves, yet to find one good place for ribs and brisket :( Unless we want to dive a long ways to The Texas Roadhouse that is.

Staggerlee

chip_gilkey
Reaction score
That thing scares me. When I think of smokers I think of things like this:
But that electric thing really intrigues me. I just can't believe it will keep a consistent temperature without my help. It's the lazy man method I guess but if its good I don't care. The smokey mountain one is also a choice but still scares me. Decisions decisions decisions...

While the smokey mountain looks like R2D2 it will hold 255 for hours if you just set the vents right and forget it. Trust me, I had no smoking experience, period, and after 3 cooks I can smoke anything. Oh, and to each his own, but those electric smokers will get you laughed at if you ever bring it around "purists". If electric is your thing then I say go with it but just keep in mind that many many bbq people look down on them. The WSM is so ridiculously easy to use though.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
I recently replaced my gas grill with a Cypress Grill, Bayou Classic's Kamado grill offering. So far it has been awesome for both grilling and smoking.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I've got 3 pit/grills that I use. My big pit is a heavy gauge 1/4 steel double lid smoker with a 19x22 fire box made by Lyfe Tyme pits in New Braunfels Texas. It weighs 700 lbs. and I had to move it in my yard with a borrowed skid loader. It's so big I only use it about 6-8 times a year and cook huge when I light it. Usually brisket, sausage, ribs, and whole chickens. I also make smoked tomatoes from my garden that I hang in cheese cloth in the top of my smoker. It makes an amazing smoked marinara sauce.

My charcoal grill is just a Weber kettle grill, but I love it. It was the first type of grill I remember as a kid and we had one on my back porch, at our deer lease, and even had a crappy one we'd pack up for camping trips and tail gating. It's still my go to for steaks and chops and probably my second most used pit/grill.

My gas grill is a Weber Summit stainless 6 burner built into a rock island. It's my second Weber gas and my first one was still working after 15 years when I moved and put this one in. I gave my old one to a friend to keep at his lake house and he's still using it, so that's about 20 years on that grill. They're just great. Start first time every time, can go several years without replacing parts, and don't cook with hot and cold spots. Due to convenience it's my most used pit/grill and I cook on it at least twice a week. The built in rotisserie is fantastic.

bounce

Reaction score
I have the Weber Smokey Mountain and it's amazing. Took me a few times to get it right, but now it's really easy to get it lit and hovering in the 200-250 range for smoking. I can fit two racks of ribs on the top rack, just barely. I would probably spring for the larger one next time.