BCS is a farce...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Once again... we won't know who truly is the best team in the country...

I have no dog in this hunt... but how can you possibly deny Auburn a shot?

Until we have a playoff system in place in D1... asteriks should abound next to the name of the so-called "National Champion"...

The arguments are ridiculous... D1-AA has been doing it for decades...

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Every year I think it will change but it never does. It truly is pathetic on many levels:

Auburn is denied a chance at the national championship though they did nothing wrong the entire season other than going undefeated.

California may be where USC is had it not been for a solitary dropped pass. Though ranked #5, they will be going to the Holiday Bowl.

Pittsburgh, ranked #21 in the nation and in a four-way tie for Big East lead, will play Utah in the Fiesta Bowl. Utah does not get a chance to prove itself against a top 5 power to show that they are for real.

An eight-team playoff would makes sense. Probably will never happen because there's too much greed and money involved in the entire bowl process.

I'm off the soapbox. There's nothing more to say. The system does not work.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every level of football from Peewee up to the pros has a playoff system...except...you guessed it the NCAA's money making division.

Is that odd or what...no it is not odd, it is all about the money.

Sad thing is they could make even more money if they did have a playoff system.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think the BCS is much better than the old system. I also think the BCS sucks. College football has really not taken any major steps to truly determine their national champs. The thing I don't understand is that it is all about money. To me, it looks as if they incorporate a playoff sytem, they will make even more money.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss said:
I think the BCS is much better than the old system. I also think the BCS sucks. College football has really not taken any major steps to truly determine their national champs. The thing I don't understand is that it is all about money. To me, it looks as if they incorporate a playoff sytem, they will make even more money.

Agreed....it just makes no sense even if money is the issue...when more money can be made.

trickblue

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Agreed....it just makes no sense even if money is the issue...when more money can be made.

It's everyone wanting this but the University Presidents...

It makes me wonder if perhaps kickbacks are involved... ;)

Reaction score
trickblue said:
It's everyone wanting this but the University Presidents...

Yea, don't blame the BCS itself, it's the University Chancellors/Athletic Directors who have baulked at any "NFL-type" playoff system.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Auburn and Utah deserve a shot. Texas should be a BCS team but so should Cal. Cal really should have beaten SC. I'll tell you who is really getting a major screw job here, it's Louisville. They lost one overtime game to Miami in Miami and they get zero consideration. That aint right. This whole system sucks from day one. Playoffs are the key but too many are making money on this thing. Doesn't work, never has. Why is it still here?

Kangaroo

Reaction score
The sad thing is Div 1a football playoff system would generate more income than the Bowl system ever would.

The top 16 teams should go that is how it works in the Divison 1aa system

16 team playoff system would be more than fair imo and if you can not make it in the top 16 you have nothing to cry about.

Small school or not if you are good you can make it into the top 16.

This is that good ole boy network still at play time for us to go and break it up :)

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If Auburn and Utah both deserve a shot, we should also give it to Boise State. They haven't had the greatest of schedules, but they are undefeated.

Eight teams whittled down to one championship. Football fans would go nuts. The sponsors would love it as well though the season would include another 2-3 games.

trickblue

Reaction score
Avery said:
If Auburn and Utah both deserve a shot, we should also give it to Boise State. They haven't had the greatest of schedules, but they are undefeated.

Eight teams whittled down to one championship. Football fans would go nuts. The sponsors would love it as well though the season would include another 2-3 games.

1AA has been doing it for many years... the excuse of "too many games for the student athletes" doesn't hold water...

joseephuss

Reaction score
trickblue said:
1AA has been doing it for many years... the excuse of "too many games for the student athletes" doesn't hold water...

The amazing thing is that it is better than the old system. Under the pre-BCS format:

#1 USC vs. #13 Michigan in the Rose Bowl and #4 Cal would still not be a factor

#2 OU(still in Big 8) vs. invitee in the Orange Bowl

#3 Auburn vs. invitee in the Sugar Bowl

#5 Texas(still in the SWC) vs. invitee in the Cotton Bowl

#6 Utah may get the invite to go to the Fiesta Bowl to face some other inviteee.

There could be 4 teams finishing undeafeted.

I like the idea of a 16 team playoff format. With just 8, it is possible that a quality team could be left out. Looking at the top 6 above, you would still have either Boise St., Louisville or VaTech to consider for two spots. Plus the Big East and Big Ten would be clamoring to get their top team involved. So, like Kangaroo said, if you are good you can make it into the top 16.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Another thing about playing extra games that is easy shorten the schedule by 1 it is not that hard every sport from college to Pro accept for Divison 1 football have playoffs of some type.

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
trickblue said:

Agreed...the ones going to the NFL will be playing 16 game seasons. What better way to get them prepared for longer seasons than to tack on a little playoff after the regular season? :D

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
We need a playoff system but we need to distinguish it from other playoff systems. The thing I'm afraid of is seeing a team like USC who is 11-0 and ranked #1 to slack off their final game knowing they are already in the playoffs. The regular season has to mean something. In college basketball, no one watches the regular season because the tournament means everything. And we have seen talented college basketball teams slack off during the regular season only to play hard in the NCAA tournament.

I agree the current system is unfair but I don't want to sacrafice the regular season either. I do like how the regular season means something in college football.