BCS is crap

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
The BCS needs to go. I mean it's just ridiculous.

ND, I knew they were going to a BCS game. OSU too. But they need to stop this whole BCS ranking **** if they are only using it for the national championship.

I know how its set up, and I put alot of blame on our Pac-10 commisioner for getting us such a ****ty agreement.

ND vs OSU doesnt bug me. I never denied that it would happen. I know why it happened too.

It makes me angry that FSU is playing in a BCS game. THEY ARENT EVEN TOP 20. I know it's about conference championships, but please, dont try and humour us by calling the other 3 bowls BCS games. Its ridiculous.

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
The BCS needs to go. I mean it's just ridiculous.

ND, I knew they were going to a BCS game. OSU too. But they need to stop this whole BCS ranking **** if they are only using it for the national championship.

I know how its set up, and I put alot of blame on our Pac-10 commisioner for getting us such a ****ty agreement.

ND vs OSU doesnt bug me. I never denied that it would happen. I know why it happened too.

It makes me angry that FSU is playing in a BCS game. THEY ARENT EVEN TOP 20. I know it's about conference championships, but please, dont try and humour us by calling the other 3 bowls BCS games. Its ridiculous.

Sadly, it's all about tv ratings and money. Jim Rome was talking about this last week.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Think of the ratings of a college playoff where the teams are actually playing for a shot at the title. And the possible revenues.

I would be staggering in comparison.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
The problems with the BCS are numerous, but the single biggest one is that it rewards teams for losing.

Look at Michigan St. They actually made more money losing to Penn State in the season finale than if they had won. If MSU would have won, Ohio State gets the automatic, Penn State would not have gotten the BCS at large bid and MSU would have missed out on their share of the $$$ that second BCS game added to the Big 10's bowl pool.

This in no way implies that Michigan St. threw that game, but you can't tell me that no one in the athletic department understood that a win would cost them over a million dollars.

My other big complaint is that the power conferences top to bottom like the SEC or Big 10 are at a competetive disadvantage (only 3 or the 16 BCS MNC teams have been from those two conferences).

After watching USC and several Big 10 teams against the Domers, I can say with almost absolute certainty that USC wouldn't be undefeated if they played a Big 10 schedule.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with the others that say Playoffs.

I could get a great deal of revenue and NCAA DIV I-A is the only football from midget all the way up that does not have a playoff system.

Also I do not think that conferences should get automatic BCS bowl bids...even if a team is just barely won enough games to be allowed in a bowl (6) but they win one of the major conferences...they get a bid over a team that has a much better record who lost in their conference championship.

Many people say they like college football because it is pure and not tainted like the pro game...IMO it is even worse then the pro-game...at least in the program all of the players get a little share of the pie and there is a playoff system.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Most Texas fans are probably in agreement. 2000 9-2, No BCS Bowl, 2001 10-2, No BCS Bowl. 2002 10-2, No BCS Bowl. 2003 10-2, NO BCS Bowl.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
The BSC (yes I spelled it that way on purpose) is crap and a playoff is the only way to go but the fat cats don't want to take the chance they might miss out on a big payday. Every team should have a chance to win the championship but unless you are a BSC school you have no chance. A team could go undefeated and still not have a chance to win the nation title.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
The BCS system is still better than the old way, but a playoff is the way to go.

I disagree with BP thought and think that the power conference champs should be get automatic bids to the playoffs.

If you're doing a 8 team playoff, only allow 8 conference champs in. ACC, PAC 10, SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 get auto bids. Take the three highest rated conference champs from the remaining conferences (CUSA, Big East, MAC, Mountain West..) or independents. Harkens back to the old days of the basketball tourney where no "at large" bids were had.

It would essentially be an 11 team tourney anyway thanks to the ACC, Big 12 and SEC championship games.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Big 10 is possibly the most overrated conference in the country. Im not going to go out of my way to say they are better or worse than the Pac-10, but they really aren't that good.

SEC is a good conference, but they have ALOT of gimme's on the schedule.

I think that USC would still be undefeated if they palyed a Big 10 schedule because they are that damn good.

Big 10 is a joke

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
Big 10 is possibly the most overrated conference in the country. Im not going to go out of my way to say they are better or worse than the Pac-10, but they really aren't that good.

SEC is a good conference, but they have ALOT of gimme's on the schedule.

I think that USC would still be undefeated if they palyed a Big 10 schedule because they are that damn good.

Big 10 is a joke

I've seen some stupid things written on this board, but this ranks near the top.

The Big 10 is far and away the best conference this year as it is most years with close competition from the SEC. Let's look at the "weak" teams this year in the Big 10. Illinois was undefeated OOC and beat a bowl eligible Rutgers team yet got rolled in the Big 10. Michigan State put a hurt to a BCS team in Notre Dame but couldn't win games in the Big 10. Even Indiana looked good OOC.

I guess every computer in the country that rates the Big 10 as the toughest must be wrong.

USC in Columbus in late November would get hammered, especially after Michigan and Penn State physically abused them the preceding two weeks even if USC won those games.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
I really think that people jock the BCS far too hard.

RUTGERS!! haha, you gotta be kidding me.

I'm not even that sold on Penn State.

You think that USC wouldnt domninate the Big 10. USC is the best team in the country for a reason. Please realize that their entire backfield, White, Bush and Leinhart will all be 1st round picks. Also, Steve Smith is probably going to go in the 1st or 2nd round. Now factor in their offensive line...Penn State basically steam rolled the Big 10, and USC would destroy them.

I can't believe you would even say that USC would get hammered in Columbus late November. Now that is a stupid comment. Hammered? You're going to associate OSU and the word hammering with USC? You must be joking. Texas will get rolled by USC, and OSU couldnt even handle them at home.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
I really think that people jock the BCS far too hard.

RUTGERS!! haha, you gotta be kidding me.

I'm not even that sold on Penn State.

You think that USC wouldnt domninate the Big 10. USC is the best team in the country for a reason. Please realize that their entire backfield, White, Bush and Leinhart will all be 1st round picks. Also, Steve Smith is probably going to go in the 1st or 2nd round. Now factor in their offensive line...Penn State basically steam rolled the Big 10, and USC would destroy them.

I can't believe you would even say that USC would get hammered in Columbus late November. Now that is a stupid comment. Hammered? You're going to associate OSU and the word hammering with USC? You must be joking. Texas will get rolled by USC, and OSU couldnt even handle them at home.

Penn State is a VERY good team... don't be fooled by the perfumed inner thigh that is USC football...

The championship game will be a very good game imo... I can't wait for it!

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
USC has a very good offense but their defense would be exposed if they had to play a decent team every week. There's a reason everyone is excited about the Colts being undefeated this late in the season. Teams don't win 30 some straight by playing quality opponents, they do it by playing overrated cupcakes (you know, PAC 10 schools and such).

Ohio State lost to Texas but it was similar to an NFL game in that one or two plays changed the outcome like the TE who dropped the easy TD pass. USC has played a mediocre at best Fresno State team that lost to Nevada and needed late game heroics to stave off defeat and also needed an intentional fumble out of bounds to stop the clock that wasn't called to beat an overrated Notre Dame squad. Who else have they played of any consequence? The Oregon Cupcakes? This year's version of the Cal team that cried about the BCS then got rolled badly in the Holiday Bowl.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree with this. If SC played in the Big10, they would not have the streak they currently have. IMO, the SEC is the toughest conference this year. I have believed that the Big12 has been the best conference the last few years but this year, no question in my mind, it's the SEC. After that, I think it might be the ACC.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I agree with this. If SC played in the Big10, they would not have the streak they currently have. IMO, the SEC is the toughest conference this year. I have believed that the Big12 has been the best conference the last few years but this year, no question in my mind, it's the SEC. After that, I think it might be the ACC.

If Nebraska or Colorado would have had decent teams the last 3-4 year I might agree with you, but as it stands, it's a very top heavy conference with some really bad teams on the bottom. There's just way too many bad programs in the conference to consider them near the top.

The new ACC has a chance to be a really strong conference if they could do something about the perennial doormats like Duke.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
If Nebraska or Colorado would have had decent teams the last 3-4 year I might agree with you, but as it stands, it's a very top heavy conference with some really bad teams on the bottom. There's just way too many bad programs in the conference to consider them near the top.

The new ACC has a chance to be a really strong conference if they could do something about the perennial doormats like Duke.

Well, I think that the same can be said of all the conferences really. I mean, Big10, SEC, ACC, Big12, you name it. All of them have some good teams and then some bad ones. The problem with the Big12 has been that the South has been so much stronger then the North. However, the South has been real strong in the past few years. I just think you look at how's good and you say, how tough would it be for any team to go unbeaten. If the answer is, pretty damn tough, then you got yourself a tough conference.