Be glad that Dak has to stay on edge

Kaiser

Reaction score
Name me a new coach that ever walks into a perfect situation, other than Barry Switzter.
MM may love Dak, who knows.
MM may have serious doubts about Dak and wants a trial run on the tag, who knows?

I think McCarthy was pretty clear when he took the job:

“Defenses get you to the championship,” said one of nine active NFL coaches with Super Bowl rings. “Quarterbacks win championships."

“And I definitely feel Dak is that quarterback.”

Any more questions?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
listened to the ocho podcast today guy on there said they next year the contract talks would start at 41 million a year average

Big_D

Reaction score
What's McCarthy supposed to say on day 1? lol Dak sucks can't hit a receiver in stride and we're looking to unload him first chance we get? He's obviously aware of the cap implications vs the talent level and it's likely a huge reason the Cowboys didn't cave to the demands. 1 year on the tag, see how he handles a different style offense and if he's worth the long term contract at that point. If Garrett was still here, no doubt the Cowboys would've bent over by now! There likely won't even be a season which makes this an even smarter decision!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think McCarthy was pretty clear when he took the job:

“Defenses get you to the championship,” said one of nine active NFL coaches with Super Bowl rings. “Quarterbacks win championships."

“And I definitely feel Dak is that quarterback.”

Any more questions?
No, I dont have any more questions commander,, but maybe MM saw an opportunity that made sense, and maybe that included Dak.
What doesnt make sense if that was the case, is why isnt Dak Signed?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
listened to the ocho podcast today guy on there said they next year the contract talks would start at 41 million a year average

WOW! If they didn't want to go over 35M a year and then move to 6M more a year. May be time for something different and I am one of 2 or 3 that is in the middle on Dak. Better win the SB this year to even talk about anything over 40M.

Kaiser

Reaction score
No, I dont have any more questions commander,, but maybe MM saw an opportunity that made sense, and maybe that included Dak.

From McCarthy's point of view, Dak is signed. He just isn't signed long term and from his comments he has always said he wants to be here.

Also sorry about the "any more questions" part of that post, that was part of McCarthy's quote and that was a direct copy and paste from the article. I wasn't trying to sound like a complete sausage, I should have caught that. .

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
From McCarthy's point of view, Dak is signed. He just isn't signed long term and from his comments he has always said he wants to be here.

Also sorry about the "any more questions" part of that post, that was part of McCarthy's quote and that was a direct copy and paste from the article. I wasn't trying to sound like a complete sausage, I should have caught that. .
Yes sir, no worries brother,, I dont get offended easily, but I digress,, I agree with you about MM needing to see more.
MM is the new HC of the Dallas Cowboys, it actually makes perfect sense that Dak is playing on the tag.
I know I have been harsh on my evaluation, but Im a nobody posting with my opinion on a Cowboys Forum,,, means nada.
MM is staking his claim on this team, and a year of evaluation is very prudent IMO.
That evaluation means everything to MM success or failure,, very key.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This really isn't a Dak thread. It's more about the Cowboys finally getting set up right.
It wasn't fair to McCarthy to be saddled with a quarterback longterm that would be impossible to put on the bench if he wasn't cutting it.

BS.
EVERY thread you ever started is about bashing Dak.
You think you are cleverly dishing them. But as soon as your name is seen as the thread starter EVERYONE knows exactly what it is about.

As posted above, MM said he liked what he seen in Dak. He has been clearly given a lot of authority over coaching staff and players. Don't act as if Dak was forced on him.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Dak isn't signed because he turned down $100 million guaranteed in a contract longer than 4 years.

What doesn't make sense is concluding that means Dallas/McCarthy didn't really want him.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Either way i actually agree with a accidental point LeeBlair has, if your the GM of this specific franchise and the Fans are pissed from the lack of accountability against the coaching staff its not a bad idea to see this tag played out with your new coach so there are no excuses... I think Dak will be great under Mike but either way I want the pressure on Mike to bring this thing home and don't want to hear "well i really didn't like all the players i had long contracts with i need another 4 years to build my process".

leeblair

Reaction score
Either way i actually agree with a accidental point LeeBlair has, if your the GM of this specific franchise and the Fans are pissed from the lack of accountability against the coaching staff its not a bad idea to see this tag played out with your new coach so there are no excuses... I think Dak will be great under Mike but either way I want the pressure on Mike to bring this thing home and don't want to hear "well i really didn't like all the players i had long contracts with i need another 4 years to build my process".
It wasn't accidental.
No new head coach wants to be saddled with someone he has to play because of a contract, especially at quarterback.
This way it's a fresh start. McCarthy has a quarterback who has some experience, but who hasn't shown that he is able to get them to the next level.
Most of the other players could be dealt or cut if they don't fit in, but a quarterback eats too much of the salary cap.
It was the only right way to move forward.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It wasn't accidental.
No new head coach wants to be saddled with someone he has to play because of a contract, especially at quarterback.
This way it's a fresh start. McCarthy has a quarterback who has some experience, but who hasn't shown that he is able to get them to the next level.
Most of the other players could be dealt or cut if they don't fit in, but a quarterback eats too much of the salary cap.
It was the only right way to move forward.

The accident is you want the pressure on Dak, The pressure has been on Dak this whole time, I want the pressure on the coach....I know its been like forever for this franchise but would be nice to see the coach actually contribute.

leeblair

Reaction score
The accident is you want the pressure on Dak, The pressure has been on Dak this whole time, I want the pressure on the coach....I know its been like forever for this franchise but would be nice to see the coach actually contribute.
That's no accident.
If Dak signed a longterm deal he would believe that he had already reached elite status, and would likely be less receptive to change that McCarthy may bring.
This way he is forced to grow, because he still has to get better to keep his job.
I believe McCarthy will coach him right, but that might be a challenge if Dak became the latest "Hotboyz" Prima Donna.
It was McCarthy's undoing with Rogers.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With a one year deal, Dak cannot become set in his ways. He will be more receptive to Mike McCarthy's instructions, and will once again be in training- albeit, being paid very well to do so, under the tag.
His contract demands showed he believed that he had reached a pinnacle, and was at the top of the league as far as talent. But he wasn't.
Though he racked up huge numbers in the passing game, he was not able to give the Cowboys a boost against teams that they needed to beat to transcend to the next level.
Under Garrett, Dak was in danger of believing that what he had done was enough; he was coddled and never made to improve. His demands for a new contract show this clearly.
Now we actually have a new team. McCarthy isn't saddled with a guy he's never worked with that will eat up a huge chunk of the salary cap, and can run the team as he sees fit.
If Dak is the man, this year will bear that out. If not, we'll see what's next.
He has always been talked about as highly coachable and receptive to whatever is asked of him, so I don’t see this as valid.

As for contract demands, by most reports the problem was in the length of the contract, not the annual pay, which suggests the opposite of complacency. It suggests that Dak feels he can continue to up his game, which in turn would help his next contract negotiation. Everything both last year and this suggest he is betting on himself to show his worth rather than resting on what he’s done so far.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
He has always been talked about as highly coachable and receptive to whatever is asked of him, so I don’t see this as valid.

As for contract demands, by most reports the problem was in the length of the contract, not the annual pay, which suggests the opposite of complacency. It suggests that Dak feels he can continue to up his game, which in turn would help his next contract negotiation. Everything both last year and this suggest he is betting on himself to show his worth rather than resting on what he’s done so far.

Exactly, he has shown growth every year. I'm still at a loss at the fans who actually watched the games last year and decided he is the problem....there is nothing that points to that. Am i ready to "anoint him" no.... but i'm also not ready to cut the other 52 players who played for Garrett and looked like a lost team midway through the season. Again lets put pressure on the coach for once to get the players to do basic shittt like not jumping off sides 3 times a game. If Dak plays bad then lets by all means go get a QB.

cern

Reaction score
I’d say Dak’s desire for a shorter contract shows he wanted to keep working hard so he could sign another huge contract sooner. I never got the impression Dak was difficult to coach.
likewise. he just wanted the big money, probably helped along in that quest by his agent. there will be another opportunity next year to once gain go through the negotiating process. hopefully, with a different outcome.

leeblair

Reaction score
Exactly, he has shown growth every year. I'm still at a loss at the fans who actually watched the games last year and decided he is the problem....there is nothing that points to that. Am i ready to "anoint him" no.... but i'm also not ready to cut the other 52 players who played for Garrett and looked like a lost team midway through the season. Again lets put pressure on the coach for once to get the players to do basic shittt like not jumping off sides 3 times a game. If Dak plays bad then lets by all means go get a QB.
Dak was not "the problem", but he was "a problem".
And part of that was the way Garrett had coddled him and annointed him as the next great quarterback without making him earn it.
Kellen Moore should have been the starter in 2017, but Dak was given the position.
Because of this, Dak never seemed to be able to handle pressure situations. It always seemed as if he never felt responsible for the Cowboys struggles.
Garrett made him feel entitled- but ignored his weaknesses.
As of right now, Kellen Moore is still the best quarterback on the Dallas Cowboys.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
And part of that was the way Garrett had coddled him and annointed him as the next great quarterback without making him earn it.
Kellen Moore should have been the starter in 2017, but Dak was given the position.
Because of this, Dak never seemed to be able to handle pressure situations. It always seemed as if he never felt responsible for the Cowboys struggles.
As of right now, Kellen Moore is still the best quarterback on the Dallas Cowboys.

Lee, i'm going to let you down easy here, Kellen Moore wasn't going to start in the NFL, one hell ov a college QB who helped form a great at large team. I get it man you love Boise and nothing wrong with that, but you have to let that ship sail or people are not going to take you seriously. Serious question where you a Cowboys fan before some Bosie boys came here?...really just asking not accusing.

cern

Reaction score
dak got what he rightfully earned. moore got what he rightfully earned which was a promotion to oc and running the leagues top offense last year.