Be Patient With Connor Williams

CCBoy

Reaction score
When Connor Williams is in the pass rush drill, he generally has to face back-to-back rushers. What defenders have figured out when they rush Williams is simple, yet smart. For one of two reps, they have chosen to “bull rush” him – or attempt to overpower him, to put it bluntly. Datone Jones has done it with some success, as has Tyrone Crawford. But rushers haven’t had as much success when it comes to the team periods, where the entire offensive and defensive lines are together. Williams has been able to hold his own in those situations, where there are bodies banging off each other. There is no question that Connor Williams needs to get stronger, but that will likely come after his rookie season. Until then we all need to be patient with him.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scout-s-notebook-defensive-difference-makers

jay94

Reaction score
I am more than certain guys will be patient with him, hell we have had guys hype up Jaylon Smith even in his rookie year and for what he was supposed to be he has been terrible to this point. I am rooting for Jaylon Smith for what it's worth, but I am not on the Homerville squad that 70% of these posters are on. I call it like I see it I watch the entirety of the NFL and not just the Cowboys.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Once Williams has an off season weightlifting program behind him, he will begin
to play like a top tier LG in the league.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Once Williams has an off season weightlifting program behind him, he will begin
to play like a top tier LG in the league.

He did 26 reps in the bench press at the combine, in the 2017 combine that was the average for offensive linemen. He probably can, and will, get stronger in the next year or two, but it's not like he's weak, so I don't see that strength is his problem. To me it seems more technique related, in fact one of his combine weaknesses was "Gets too straight-legged and bounced back into pocket by initial bull move".

And that can be fixed. Problem is, with Tyron's back issues and Frederick out, Cowboys really don't have much time to fix that...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Still wish the Cowboys would have packaged their no. 2 and 3 or no. 2 and a couple of 4s for Will Hernandez, he's already a guard, not only does Williams have to learn the pro game but learn a new position as well. And Hernandez did 37 reps in the bench, no strength issues there....

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Still wish the Cowboys would have packaged their no. 2 and 3 or no. 2 and a couple of 4s for Will Hernandez, he's already a guard, not only does Williams have to learn the pro game but learn a new position as well. And Hernandez did 37 reps in the bench, no strength issues there....

I'd rather have Williams and Gallup than just Hernandez.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'd rather have Williams and Gallup than just Hernandez.

Without the strong o-line to support the running game, the passing game won't work as well, Gallup wouldn't be as effective.

Besides, Gallup was selected in the 3rd round, Cowboys could possibly have packaged their no. 2 and their no. 4s or a 4 and 5th or some other combination, and have Hernandez and Gallup. Possibly not, either, but we have no way of knowing if that could have been done if the Cowboys didn't try it.

I'm not unhappy with Williams, just would have rather had Hernandez, he just fit the Cowboys o-line need better...

RoboQB

Reaction score
He did 26 reps in the bench press at the combine, in the 2017 combine that was the average for offensive linemen. He probably can, and will, get stronger in the next year or two, but it's not like he's weak, so I don't see that strength is his problem. To me it seems more technique related, in fact one of his combine weaknesses was "Gets too straight-legged and bounced back into pocket by initial bull move".

And that can be fixed. Problem is, with Tyron's back issues and Frederick out, Cowboys really don't have much time to fix that...

For the record, I didn't say he was weak. I bet you that by the first camp next year people will
be commenting on how much bigger he looks compared to his rookie season.

I noticed he doesn't get beat twice in a row. I really like the player. Great 2nd Rd pick.
Yes, all these injuries to the OL are piling up. It sucks when the bug hits the strength of the team.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
For the record, I didn't say he was weak. I bet you that by the first camp next year people will
be commenting on how much bigger he looks compared to his rookie season.

I noticed he doesn't get beat twice in a row. I really like the player. Great 2nd Rd pick.
Yes, all these injuries to the OL are piling up. It sucks when the bug hits the strength of the team.

No, you didn't say he was weak, but I interpreted "Once Williams has an off season weightlifting program behind him.." as meaning that he was weak, if he's not weak, then an off season weightlifting program wouldn't be a big improvement.

But I can't read minds, if you didn't mean that, I accept that you didn't.

He's 6-5 and "only" 296, he's got room to add bulk, that's for sure, though I am a big concerned about having a 6-5 guard with a 6-2 quarterback, already have a 6-4 guard in Martin, makes it a bit more difficult to see over. But we got him, gotta love him!

RoboQB

Reaction score
No, you didn't say he was weak, but I interpreted "Once Williams has an off season weightlifting program behind him.." as meaning that he was weak, if he's not weak, then an off season weightlifting program wouldn't be a big improvement.

But I can't read minds, if you didn't mean that, I accept that you didn't.

He's 6-5 and "only" 296, he's got room to add bulk, that's for sure, though I am a big concerned about having a 6-5 guard with a 6-2 quarterback, already have a 6-4 guard in Martin, makes it a bit more difficult to see over. But we got him, gotta love him!

I guess I should've said wait until he adds 10lbs.of bulk next year. I thought I kind of did but I
do admit I was in a different frame of mind during that post.
My thought was he needs to be around 310lbs. to take on the top DTs in the league. It stemmed from the Geno Atkins bull rush,
although it was just one play. DeForest Buckner got him on a sweet move in SF but Williams came
back strong as with Atkins as well.

I'm not worried about his technique because he's coachable, so that can be perfected with
a good OL coach, which we have. He's only going to get better, and he's pretty good right now.
I can't wait to look back at this draft in three years.

I don't think the height issue is as big of a concern as it use to be with the guards.