Bear's Annual Look at the Draft, v. 09

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
silverbear;2736656 said:
To me, Appleby is a Bradie James clone... this coming from a boy who lives about an hour and a half from Charlottesville, and has been a Cavs fan ever since Ralph Sampson went there to play basketball (I saw Ralph play in high school down in Harrisonburg)... so I suffered through several of their games this season (one of their worst in a while), and have seen him play right often...

And therein lies the rub, Wade did not consider James to be his type of ILB when he first came to Dallas. James worked hard to get rid of weight and improve his agility & coverage skills.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
BAT;2736675 said:
And therein lies the rub, Wade did not consider James to be his type of ILB when he first came to Dallas. James worked hard to get rid of weight and improve his agility & coverage skills.

And Appleby is already at that weight...

Clearly, we disagree on Antonio's ability to fit in the Cowboys' scheme, and that's what message boards are all about...

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
silverbear;2736690 said:
And Appleby is already at that weight...

Clearly, we disagree on Antonio's ability to fit in the Cowboys' scheme, and that's what message boards are all about...

Not trying to be confrontational, but Appleby played between 245 and 255 last season. James played under 240 last season. Appleby has good straightline speed (especially for his size 6'4) at 4.75 (actually as fast/or as slow as a lighter Bradie James) and is very physical. But he lacks that explosive first step to give him the appearance of playing faster. But for someone who's forte is stopping the run, his production was underwhelming. He just did not stand out a lot when I watched him, especially chasing down plays. He was at his best fighting through OL to make the tackle.

Appleby is big (tall), strong and smart (if has above average in production he would be the perfect Parcells' ILB , just not that explosive or instinctive, which I believe are traits that Wade covets.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
That was really good and helpful, again.

You are right. The Cowboys need to solidify the interior of the offensive line. They need to replace Proctor, and while Kosier has been solid, Wade tried to replace him with McQuistan when he got here. Plus, how is that foot going to respond? If I'm the GM, I can't sit around and hope that Tony Romo doesn't fall prey to that LG spot. I've read where Kosier wears down at the end of the year and can't maintain his weight. Velasaid this. He said he ends up around 285.

As far as Holland goes, he ate his way out of Denver and didn't last two games when he started.

LG is a concern. Adams played mashed up last year, and I'm hoping the Cowboys can survive without finding the future LT this year, because I don't see that guy unless the Cowboys do indeed think it's Loadholt. Beatty would require a trade up.

Here are my favorites:

Duke Robinson
Cornelius Lewis (may be able to slide to LT, in a pinch, down the road)
Jamie Thomas
T.J. Lang (could be a starter at guard and the backup center)
Tyronne Green (has the build to play center; powerful punch; played guard at Auburn (Ben Grubbs)
Antione Caldwell (will be cheaper if he slides; underrated)
Rodger Allen

Thomas, Lang, Green, and Caldwell are high character guys.

I would like to draft two of these guys. I want the interior covered.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
41gy#;2736778 said:
That was really good and helpful, again.

You are right. The Cowboys need to solidify the interior of the offensive line. They need to replace Proctor, and while Kosier has been solid, Wade tried to replace him with McQuistan when he got here. Plus, how is that foot going to respond? If I'm the GM, I can't sit around and hope that Tony Romo doesn't fall prey to that LG spot. I've read where Kosier wears down at the end of the year and can't maintain his weight. Velasaid this. He said he ends up around 285.

As far as Holland goes, he ate his way out of Denver and didn't last two games when he started.

LG is a concern. Adams played mashed up last year, and I'm hoping the Cowboys can survive without finding the future LT this year, because I don't see that guy unless the Cowboys do indeed think it's Loadholt. Beatty would require a trade up.

Here are my favorites:

Duke Robinson
Cornelius Lewis (may be able to slide to LT, in a pinch, down the road)
Jamie Thomas
T.J. Lang (could be a starter at guard and the backup center)
Tyronne Green (has the build to play center; powerful punch)
Antione Caldwell (will be cheaper if he slides; underrated)

Thomas, Lang, Green, and Caldwell are high character guys.

I would like to draft two of these guys. I want the interior covered.

I would like to add Roger Allen to that list. The guy is a nasty run blocker w/size, and unlike Robinson, is not penalty prone or have work ethic issues.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
BAT;2736782 said:
I would like to add Roger Allen to that list. The guy is a nasty run blocker w/size, and unlike Robinson, is not penalty prone or have work ethic issues.

You are right. I've over looked him.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Good stuff, guys... I'm loving the feedback I'm getting from y'all...

Maxmadden

Reaction score
silverbear;2736653 said:
Not everybody who made a visit made my board, Max (though Tate is on my spreadsheet)... I had to leave some room for a few of my pet cats, too...

Tate's injury worries me, but I see him going in the Cowboys' pick 117 range... I wouldn't be upset if they grabbed him there, I just have other options that I liked a little better there... as I mentioned, there is a LOT of talent in that range...

Hey, like I said, Quan Cosby reminds me a LOT of Kelvin Martin, affectionately known to Cowboys fans as K-Mart (same height, same speed, but Quan is more muscular)... could you live with him in the 6th??

Could certainly live with a K-Mart inpersonator. This position has been unsettled for too long. Crayton is adequate but we need that guy that can excell at PR and develop into a solid slot receiver. There seems to be quite a few guys in this draft and I think we will address it finally, but don't know who they have in mind. I think Dallas will take a shot with at least 2 guys but one may have to be a CB.

Anyway here's to hoping and thanks again.