Bears TE surplus

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
So just looking over league rosters and possible cuts, had to take notice on the Bears roster and 9 TEs rostered?
Cole Kmet
Jimmy Graham
Demetrius Harris
Adam Shaheen
Jesper Horsted
Ben Braunecker
JP Holtz
Eric Saubert
Darion Clark

So obviously Kmet isn't included in the fall out since the Bears just drafted him with a 2nd round pick, just listed him to show how many TEs will be hitting the market just from this one team.
Not going to pretend to know anything about the rest other than Jimmy Graham obviously, but just curious if anyone sees a possible signing on the rest of the street meat.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
None of the guys likely to be available from that list move the needle for me.

Surprised they are moving on from Shaheen already, but it probably speaks to some glaring deficiency in his game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Surprised they are moving on from Shaheen already, but it probably speaks to some glaring deficiency in his game.

He ended up on IR for both 2018 and 2019.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Yeah I cant pretend to know all kinds of everything about anyone at the bottom of that list...

...but what's wrong w Jarwin as the starter, Bell as a blocker, potentially Charlie T as an Hback/fullback type, and maybe McKeon as developmental TE3? Shultz is still around as well.

I'm glad ESPN sees TE as our biggest "hole," but I personally dont.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So just looking over league rosters and possible cuts, had to take notice on the Bears roster and 9 TEs rostered?
Cole Kmet
Jimmy Graham
Demetrius Harris
Adam Shaheen
Jesper Horsted
Ben Braunecker
JP Holtz
Eric Saubert
Darion Clark

So obviously Kmet isn't included in the fall out since the Bears just drafted him with a 2nd round pick, just listed him to show how many TEs will be hitting the market just from this one team.
Not going to pretend to know anything about the rest other than Jimmy Graham obviously, but just curious if anyone sees a possible signing on the rest of the street meat.

It does seem odd to have that many TEs on the 90 man roster.
Cole Kmet
Jimmy Graham
Demetrius Harris: Cut by the Browns Feb 2020.
Adam Shaheen: Spent time on IR in 2018 and 2019. A total of 26 receptions in 3 year career.
Jesper Horsted: 2019 UDFA from Princeton.
Ben Braunecker: 13 receptions in 4 year career. Ended 2019 on IR.
JP Holtz: 2016 udfa, signed by Browns, later cut and signed by Skins. Cut then signed by Bears in 2019.
Eric Saubert: 2017 5th round pick by Falcons. Has 7 catches in 3 year career. More time on practice squads than 53 man rosters.
Darion Clark: 2018 udfa. Not signed by any teams in 2018. Signed by Bears in Jan 2019. Does not appear to have made the practice squad in 2019.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Kmet was most likely a simple BPA pick for them.

Nothing wrong there.

None of that matters until they get QB figured out, and maybe they do to the point of contending for an expanded playoff field, but they arent winning with who they currently have.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Cole Kmet
Jimmy Graham
Demetrius Harris
Adam Shaheen
Jesper Horsted
Ben Braunecker
JP Holtz
Eric Saubert
Darion Clark

What makes their nine better than the 3 we have now? Other than they are not these 3?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What makes their nine better than the 3 we have now? Other than they are not these 3?
Have no idea,, that's why I posted,, just looking over possible additions from teams that are over loaded at certain positions,, not trying to start another Dak Debate. lol
Your probably correct in your assessment already.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Cole Kmet
Jimmy Graham
Demetrius Harris: Cut by the Brown Feb 2020.
Adam Shaheen: Spent time on IR in 2018 and 2019. A total of 26 receptions in 3 year career.
Jesper Horsted: 2019 UDFA from Princeton.
Ben Braunecker: 13 reception in 4 year career. Ended 2019 on IR.
JP Holtz: 2016 udfa, signed by Browns, later cut and signed by Skins. Cut then signed by Bears in 2019.
Eric Saubert: 2017 5th round pick by Falcons. Has 7 catches in 3 year career. More time on practice squads than 53 man rosters.
Darion Clark
Thanks X...

Mr_437

Reaction score
Cole Kmet
Jimmy Graham
Demetrius Harris
Adam Shaheen
Jesper Horsted
Ben Braunecker
JP Holtz
Eric Saubert
Darion Clark

Yeah, they surplus but lack quality. Jesper had some decent moments, but I think what DAL has in house is good enough.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Have no idea,, that's why I posted,, just looking over possible additions from teams that are over loaded at certain positions,, not trying to start another Dak Debate. lol

Yeah, they do have an inordinate amount of TEs on the roster even for the offseason.

Sheehan would interest me the most.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yeah, they do have an inordinate amount of TEs on the roster even for the offseason.

Sheehan would interest me the most.
That's who I was looking at as well if we were even interested, as X pointed out he has been injured, but showed some upside when healthy.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I just don't see TE as a need to me. I'd love to see what jarwin and Schultz can do again. They were playing well before Witten came back for a year.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Cole Kmet
Jimmy Graham
Demetrius Harris
Adam Shaheen

Jesper Horsted
Ben Braunecker
JP Holtz
Eric Saubert
Darion Clark

I think Blake Jarwin is fine for us but if we have the chance to bring some of them and check i would choose :

Cole Kmet
Demetrius Harris ( i think he did not play football at college he was a basketball player)
Adam Shaheen
Darion Clark he was a basketball player at USC and also played quarterback in high school ( we can say Rico 2)

other than some highlights i don't have solid information on how good they are

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I just don't see TE as a need to me. I'd love to see what jarwin and Schultz can do again. They were playing well before Witten came back for a year.
Its highly possible that our 4th round investment hast even been utilized properly.. yet

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It could speak to the relatively poor TE class this past draft, but folks would be surprised Schultz would have tested out as one of the better athletes at the position had he come out this year.

I also believe it’s entirely possible the previous coaching staff was dogmatic and unimaginative and haven’t utilized Schultz to his full ability.

I don’t think he projects as a TE1 but I think he can be better utilized than simple dump offs in the flat.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It could speak to the relatively poor TE class this past draft, but folks would be surprised Schultz would have tested out as one of the better athletes at the position had he come out this year.

I also believe it’s entirely possible the previous coaching staff was dogmatic and unimaginative and haven’t utilized Schultz to his full ability.
Very true, waiting in anticipation of MM discovering Schultz and finding a place for him in his WC offense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its highly possible that our 4th round investment hast even been utilized properly.. yet
Schultz was blocking well in the 2nd half of 2018 when he played more due to Swain going to IR.

In 2019 he barely played.

IMO, Garrett wanted Witten to play all snaps and Kellen Moore wanted Jarwin to play the most snaps.
- The result was that most snaps went to the combination of Witten/Jarwin with minimal snaps going to a blocking TE.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Schultz was blocking well in the 2nd half of 2018 when he played more due to Swain going to IR.

In 2019 he barely played.

IMO, Garrett wanted Witten to play all snaps and Kellen Moore wanted Jarwin to play the most snaps.
- The result was that most snaps went to the combination of Witten/Jarwin with minimal snaps going to a blocking TE.
Drafting CD will fast forward this offense into a possible 3 WR base set, placing the most receiving talent on the field.
So TE may not be a priority with MM, but will be interesting to see how he utilizes the position.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Pretty crazy all the posters abve didn't understand the OP at all. It was very simple.

I would send a conditional 7th for Shaheen. TEs have a long learning curve. Your best bet is to target target SPARQ'd up TEs and that's what Shaneen is. Year 4 is when TEs tend to hit their stride.