Beasley and Austin

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Beasley mastered his niche role/ability.

He is great in the short area. His primary skill is that he can cut 90 degrees faster than the CB covering him. The slot CB has no sideline to help him and Beasley knows if he is going right/left while the CB has to wait until Beasley's cut to know if it's right/left.

Beasley is a student of the game. It probably helps that he was a High School QB. He is a crafty route runner with speed variations coming off the line and other little tricks.

He is very reliable catching the ball if he is truely open.

Having said all of that, he has many limitations. He needs the ball thrown on precise timing because he needs to be truely open which only happens on that split second after his cut.

On longer routes CBs have more time to react because the ball is in the air longer. This negates his quickness advantage. On the longer (past 10 yards) routes the length advantage of CBs becomes a problem as they can reach around and over him.

Beasley is very quick but not all that fast. On 3rd and long defenses can let him catch it short with confidence that they'll tackle him short of the 1st down marker.

The fact that Dez and Witten were slow in 2017 really affected Beasley. Witten also works the short area and Dez was not commanding double-teams very often (other than the Raiders game).

Defenses started giving the Nickel CB help on Beasley. Sometimes on 3rd down he would see true double (bracket) coverage. Most of the time defenses would keep a LB or Safety on Beasley's potential inside path which allowed the Nickel CB to play the outside cut.

It turned out that keeping that defender in the way of Beasley's inside path also put that player in great position against the run. If there was more speed at TE or at the #1 WR position defenses would get exploited for giving the extra help against Beasley.

The other limitation with Beasley is that defenses are not worried about him gashing them for a big play, mainly because his limited RAC ability and lack of elite speed meant that the defense could make a mistake and still limit the yards gained by Beasley. On 3rd and long defenses could play back at the 1st down marker and focus on other receivers then come up to tackle Beasley short of the marker if the ball went to him underneath. If defenses play that style with Tavon Austin replacing Beasley they risk giving up a big play.

The value of a player like Tavon Austin (if he performs up to his talent) is how it opens things up for other WRs/TEs. There might games where Austin's stats are not exciting but if he had a big play or plays in previous games then defenses will adjust to limit him which will open things up for other receiving options. This is true regardless of what position he is playing.

People say a deep threat will take the top off a defense but I see Austin as taking the bottom off the defense so to speak. He is a threat to turn what would be a 5 yard gain by Beasley into a 15+ yard gain. That threat changes how defenses cover the underneath area.

If defenses play man coverage that makes it easy for the other receiving options to run the coverage off and open up the underneath for Austin.

If defenses play off then that opens things up in the short area for TEs.

I don't know if Austin will perform as we hope but the concept of player like him is exciting. Even if his stats are limited, he can affect defenses to make the overall offense function better.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If this current situation is handled right by Linehan then it could go back to more like the rookie season for Dak. Throwing it around to the open WR or TE. Teams will come in and play the same defense they did last year and it will be up to our Offense to make them pay and change. If we can’t then we are gonna see a stagnant Offense again. We will have a run game and that’s it.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
99 ways to skin a cat. All can work. Determining the players talent and how to maximize the play to fit the players talents is where Dallas doesn't seem to cut it.

Dallas needs to find coaches that can maximize the talents that the players have by designing plays to help them.
Then they need to realize that Football is a grading and upgrade game... Always be able to grade your current talent, and always be looking to upgrade that talent.

Dallas seems to try and make the players fit the scheme instead of the scheme fit the available talent.

cern

Reaction score
99 ways to skin a cat. All can work. Determining the players talent and how to maximize the play to fit the players talents is where Dallas doesn't seem to cut it.

Dallas needs to find coaches that can maximize the talents that the players have by designing plays to help them.
Then they need to realize that Football is a grading and upgrade game... Always be able to grade your current talent, and always be looking to upgrade that talent.

Dallas seems to try and make the players fit the scheme instead of the scheme fit the available talent.
fitting the scheme will work, but only if you have multiple playmakers. (Irvin, emmitt, troy and novacek). we only have zeke at the present time. that's not enough.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Beasley was commanding double teams fairly regularly.
That alone should automatically open things up for others.

I too am looking forward to seeing if Austin gives us anything.
But do we expect him to get double teamed?

conner01

Reaction score
Having Austin coming out of the back field attracts those LB who helped with Beasley last year
Beasley only scared defenses with his catch, Austin scares them with his speed
Love the comment about taking the bottom off the defense which limits teams ability to double over the top and opens up seam routes for the TE
It remains to be seen how this works but the concept is pretty cool

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He is great in the short area. His primary skill is that he can cut 90 degrees faster than the CB covering him. The slot CB has no sideline to help him and Beasley knows if he is going right/left while the CB has to wait until Beasley's cut to know if it's right/left.

Beasley is a student of the game. It probably helps that he was a High School QB. He is a crafty route runner with speed variations coming off the line and other little tricks.

Having said all of that, he has many limitations. He needs the ball thrown on precise timing because he needs to be truely open which only happens on that split second after his cut.

On longer routes CBs have more time to react because the ball is in the air longer. This negates his quickness advantage. On the longer (past 10 yards) routes the length advantage of CBs becomes a problem as they can reach around and over him.

Beasley is very quick but not all that fast. On 3rd and long defenses can let him catch it short with confidence that they'll tackle him short of the 1st down marker.

The fact that Dez and Witten were slow in 2017 really affected Beasley. Witten also works the short area and Dez was not commanding double-teams very often (other than the Raiders game).

Defenses started giving the Nickel CB help on Beasley. Sometimes on 3rd down he would see true double (bracket) coverage. Most of the time defenses would keep a LB or Safety on Beasley's potential inside path which allowed the Nickel CB to play the outside cut.

It turned out that keeping that defender in the way of Beasley's inside path also put that player in great position against the run. If there was more speed at TE or at the #1 WR position defenses would get exploited for giving the extra help against Beasley.

The other limitation with Beasley is that defenses are not worried about him gashing them for a big play, mainly because his limited RAC ability and lack of elite speed meant that the defense could make a mistake and still limit the yards gained by Beasley. On 3rd and long defenses could play back at the 1st down marker and focus on other receivers then come up to tackle Beasley short of the marker if the ball went to him underneath. If defenses play that style with Tavon Austin replacing Beasley they risk giving up a big play.

The value of a player like Tavon Austin (if he performs up to his talent) is how it opens things up for other WRs/TEs. There might games where Austin's stats are not exciting but if he had a big play or plays in previous games then defenses will adjust to limit him which will open things up for other receiving options. This is true regardless of what position he is playing.

People say a deep threat will take the top off a defense but I see Austin as taking the bottom off the defense so to speak. He is a threat to turn what would be a 5 yard gain by Beasley into a 15+ yard gain. That threat changes how defenses cover the underneath area.

If defenses play man coverage that makes it easy for the other receiving options to run the coverage off and open up the underneath for Austin.

I don't know if Austin will perform as we hope but the concept of player like him is exciting. Even if his stats are limited, he can affect defenses to make the overall offense function better.
F that!! Who sings better?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I see Thompson as the more deep threat guy over Austin, but can see where Austin will be sent deep also at times.
I still say Austin can make Beasley expendable, if not this year, then next. Bt what WR could we lose in that process. Not bagging on Beasley at all. Just what my thoughts are for now.

Bt also not surprised you are blaming Dez for Beasley's issues last year. Yes you threw Witten in there too. But it was not either of their fault. There were 3 or 4 other issues that contributed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see Thompson as the more deep threat guy over Austin, but can see where Austin will be sent deep also at times.
I still say Austin can make Beasley expendable, if not this year, then next. Bt what WR could we lose in that process. Not bagging on Beasley at all. Just what my thoughts are for now.

Bt also not surprised you are blaming Dez for Beasley's issues last year. Yes you threw Witten in there too. But it was not either of their fault. There were 3 or 4 other issues that contributed.

Defenses don't normally double slot WRs. When they do it is because they don't respect the other receiving options.

Maybe TWill should be included with Dez/Witten because they didn't double Beasley with Butler in the game. Butler was the only guy that can catch a deep ball. Dez lost that ability and TWill has never been good at it.

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree with much of your assessment of Beasley. His size and speed really limits his range. Defenses realized they only had to double Beasley short to stop him from being as effective and as you said, once he catches the ball, he has a first move but that's it. He is too small to get away from most tacklers. This is why I thought Switzer would eventually replace Beasley. I think Switzer is going to be much more effective after the catch because he has a little more top end speed and he is built more solidly.

In 2016 Beasley benefited from being an unknown and also from having Dez line up opposite him. Dez was still considered the big play threat so he needed attention. I hope I am wrong but I don;t see Beasley having another year like he did in 2016 unless teams begin to ignore him again. The point is, if he starts making catches they have the formula for stopping him now.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
If this current situation is handled right by Linehan then it could go back to more like the rookie season for Dak. Throwing it around to the open WR or TE. Teams will come in and play the same defense they did last year and it will be up to our Offense to make them pay and change. If we can’t then we are gonna see a stagnant Offense again. We will have a run game and that’s it.

I have zero confidence in Linehan doing anything "right".

Ddisco22

Reaction score

You said it exactly how it is, good post.
We've had great talent on both sides of the ball and still can't get anywhere. Prime example is Switzer, talented young player, destined to be pretty good but we didn't know how to use him. Yet we pick up Austin, not to down the guy but I would've preferred to use a younger fresher Switzer in the same role.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I think at this point, real cowboy fans will be thrilled if any of the players can catch the ball and move the chains. other than that, who cares. catch the ball, move the chains, lets pray the team can find the end zone.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Probably a few less runs but I think that’s exactly the plan

I think certain runs like draws but mostly swing passes and some deeper ball getting him matched up with LB. Hell given the Dallas OL even Zeke can get runs where he is 5 yards down field before contact. I think Austin can handle some running plays.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The other limitation with Beasley is that defenses are not worried about him gashing them for a big play, mainly because his limited RAC ability and lack of elite speed meant that the defense could make a mistake and still limit the yards gained by Beasley. On 3rd and long defenses could play back at the 1st down marker and focus on other receivers then come up to tackle Beasley short of the marker if the ball went to him underneath.

It really sucked that everytime we tried to burn defenses by having him go downfield to beat their coverage, we failed. Either pass was off target, defender recovered just enough or something of the sort. I specifically remember one play where either it was horrible play design or just bad luck. Bease should have been wide open but defender trying to get outside to cover someone happened to be coming right thru the area Beasley was and broke up the play. Otherwise it would have been at least 20 - 30 yard gain. If we hit a few of those, it could change teams confidence in playing him that way.