Ben Roethlisberger likes tall guys; Hines Ward no longer likes him

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Ben Roethlisberger likes tall guys; Hines Ward no longer likes Ben Roethlisberger
By MJD

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 12:35 pm EST
Ben Roethlisberger recently expressed a desire for the Steelers to acquire a tall receiver, which, at least to me, doesn't sound like an unreasonable request. As it turns out, though, it made Hines Ward so mad that he's vowed to never again taste Big Ben's Beef Jerky.

In Ben's defense, he didn't make the request in any kind of a way that was disparaging to the Steelers current receivers. In fact, he went out of his way to make the point that he liked them:

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Roethlisberger said in an interview with the Post-Gazette. "That's just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines. Or Santonio [Holmes]. Hines is going to say he's 6 foot, but he's 5-11."

That doesn't sound so inflammatory. But here are some of the things that Hines told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in response:

"I don't hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that."

"I don't know, whatever he says. I have no idea. To me, it's a rare combination of receivers out there who are good and tall. We won a Super Bowl, we didn't have a tall receiver then. I don't see Tom Brady caring about who's tall or not. He got Randy this year, but he did it before without him.''

"To me, I have enough problems to worry about than what Ben wants -- I can't give him the contract. He wants a tall receiver? Why did we draft Santonio [Holmes]?"

Uh-oh ... someone's got a little man complex. That seems like a gross overreaction to an innocuous statement about a preference for a receiver with some height.

I'll say this for Ben, too: When he did play alongside Plaxico Burress with the Steelers, Plax made a ton of plays for him. Any time Ben got in trouble, he'd scramble, and it seemed like he always ended up looking for Plax downfield. They made a lot of plays that way.

Not that I don't enjoy the public sniping, but I think Hines is just going to have to get over this one. I think it's obvious, judging from the number of times that Rothelisberger throws Ward's way, that Roethlisberger likes him and thinks he's a good receiver.

So Ben likes tall guys ... so what? that doesn't mean you aren't special in your own way, Hines. It's not you, it's Ben. It's about what he's going through right now. At this point in his life, he just wants to be with someone who doesn't have to sit on seven phone books to be able to drive. I'm sure you two can still be friends.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
This is a battle that Ward cannot win.

Lets see here....Franchise QB vs. Short WR. hmmmm

:sarcasm:

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
"it made Hines Ward so mad that he's vowed to never again taste Big Ben's Beef Jerky"

That sounds terribly gay

Woods

Reaction score
Maybe we can trade for Hines Ward and give them . . . . . errrrr ...... Austin? He's tall enough!

:)

StylisticS

Reaction score
LowTech;1929614 said:
"it made Hines Ward so mad that he's vowed to never again taste Big Ben's Beef Jerky"

That sounds terribly gay
:lmao2: :lmao2: I was thinking the same thing.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
LowTech;1929614 said:

That sounds terribly gay

and the thread title alone didn't already slant it to gay-dome?

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
While I think he is a good WR & football player, it would not surprise me to find out that Hines Ward himself is gay.

Think about it.:D

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
When Keyshawn left Dallas I thought they should have targeted him in Free Agency.

He just seemed like a perfect fit in Pittsburgh at the time.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Ward has a point, Ben wasn't saying anything about tall receivers when he was hoisting up the Lombardi Trophy. Maybe Ben should learn to be more accurate, then he wouldn't need a bunch of Kevin Garnett's out there catching balls for him.

Temo

Reaction score
Maybe Hines Ward should ask for a QB who doesn't hold the ball for a half hour before throwing it.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1929851 said:
If they want to get rid of Ward, hey, we'll take him in a second.

Yeah, and maybe one ex-QB (Hines) can teach another ex-QB (Crayton) on how not to give up on a route that would have sent the Cowboys to the NFC Championship game.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Why do players try to has this stuff out to the media?

Does anyone think for a second that Brady wasnt in conversation with the Pats brass as to what kind of receiving weapons he wanted to work with? The only difference here is that the Pats dont do their deals via the public forum. This is a fact that I appreciate from the Red Sox and PAts FO.

Regardless Roeth has Ward, Holmes and Miller to throw to and the issues they were having had more to do with RB depth than it did with his receivers.