Bennett our WOW player and future stud WR

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I love that we went TE so high here. Flush your mistakes and move on!
I think with the whole Hutchinson/Hensen/Parcells history JJ has learned. I tip my hat to JJ

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
I took the following off NFL.com He might have been drafted to help the running game, as he is touted as having the size to be a good blocker.

Martellus Bennett (TE)
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 259
College: Texas A&M
Conference: Big 12
Hometown: Alief, TX
High School: Taylor
View Combine Page >>
Featured Prospects

Selected by: Dallas Cowboys
Round: 2
Pick (Overall): 30 (61)
Pick Analysis: Bennett has the size to be an effective blocker. However, his speed and technique are issues that could pose problems as he attempts to make an impact in the passing game.

Overview
Analysis

Overview
Overview

Regarded as the "most complete" prospect at his respective position in the 2008 NFL Draft, Bennett combines excellent size, strength and quickness to excel not only as a clutch mid-range receiver, but also as a devastating blocker. A testament to his athletic skills was the fact that he became the first Aggie since Billy Bob Barnett in 1969 to letter in basketball and football during the same season.

After two seasons with the hoops team at A&M, Bennett gave up basketball to concentrate on football. In addition to his duties on offense, he also appeared on the defensive line for several snaps during his senior year. He was joined on that unit by his older brother, Michael Bennett, Jr., a reserve defensive lineman for the Aggies.

At Taylor High School, Bennett was a consensus prep All-American selection. The three-year starter and a two-time All-District and All-Greater Houston choice at tight end was a member of Dave Campbell's Texas Football Super Team. He was a finalist for the Houston Touchdown Club Offensive Player of the Year and earned first-team Class 5A All-State honors from the Texas Sports Writers Association after hauling in a team-high 42 catches for 487 yards and six touchdowns as a senior in 2004. He also grabbed four two-point conversion receptions that year.

As a junior, Bennett had 13 catches for 170 yards and two touchdowns and averaged 12.4 yards per catch during his sophomore campaign. He also lettered in basketball, picking up All-Greater Houston accolades in 2004-05. As a senior, he averaged 23 points and 8.2 rebounds per game.

Bennett enrolled at Texas A&M in 2005, turning down scholarship offers from Duke, Kansas, Louisiana State, Oklahoma, Texas and Southern California. He was a Freshman All-American selection by The Sporting News, as he started five of eleven games. He tallied eighteen receptions for 162 yards (9.0 avg) and three touchdowns while also recording one solo tackle.

After his freshman campaign on the gridiron, he joined the Aggies' basketball team, seeing action in 26 games as a reserve forward. He averaged 1.9 points, shooting 12-of-46 from the field and 25-of-41 from the free throw line. He dished out twelve assists, turned the ball over seventeen times and had 40 rebounds, including eighteen off the offensive glass.

Bennett earned All-Big Twelve Conference first-team honors from the Dallas Morning News and was a semi-finalist for the Mackey Award, given to the nation's top tight end in 2006. He ranked second on the team with 38 receptions for 497 yards (13.1 avg) and scored three times. He also appeared in four games with the basketball team after the football season, averaging 0.5 points per game in thirteen minutes of action.

The junior tight end was having a banner 2007 season before suffering high ankle sprains (both legs) vs. Texas Tech that would sideline him for the Nebraska clash. He was named All-Big Twelve Conference second-team, as he led the team with 49 catches for 587 yards (12.0 avg) and four touchdowns. He also recovered a fumble and posted four tackles (2 solos) while pacing the Aggies with 67 knockdown blocks.

With the 2007 coaching staff having been dismissed, Bennett decided it was time to leave school and applied for the 2008 NFL Draft. "I'm a complete player, I do it all," Bennett stated. "I'm a playmaker and I always get the ball at the highest point. I'm also a great blocker. My only weakness is route running."

"Everything we received from the NFL as far as projections were what we wanted to hear," Bennett said. "With the coaching situation it would be hard to come back for my senior season and get into a groove learning a new system."

Bennett started 23 of 36 games he appeared in at Texas A&M. He tied the school career-record for tight ends with 105 receptions (ranks tied for fifth overall), good for 1,246 yards (11.9-yard average), as his 10 touchdown grabs rank tied for eighth on the school's all-time record chart). He also recorded five tackles (3 solos) and recovered one fumble.

Career Notes

Holds the school record with at least one reception in 29 consecutive games, topping the previous mark of 26 straight games by Terrence Murphy (2001-04)...His 105 receptions tied the career record for Texas A&M tight ends, matching a figure first set by Rod Bernstine (1983-86)...His 105 grabs rank fifth overall in A&M annals...His 1,246 yards receiving rank 15th overall and set the school career record, surpassing the old mark of 1,181 yards by Richard Osborne (1972-75)...His 10 touchdown catches tied Terrence Murphy (2001-04) and Jamaar Taylor (2001-03) for eighth on the Aggies' career chart and are the most ever by an A&M tight end...Bennett's 49 receptions in 2007 tied Barney Harris (1968) for ninth on the school's overall season-record list and placed second among A&M tight ends, behind Rod Bernstine's 65 catches in 1986.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
No! Listen to the end of the video of the war room after drafting Felix and someone says "that's WOW there"!

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Jerry wanted to add a wow player

and settled for several intriguing players, such as
-Pac Man Jones
-Felix Jones
-Mike Jenkins

only chance at a wow player is if we can somehow land a vet wr

ComicBookGuy

Reaction score
After two seasons with the hoops team at A&M, Bennett gave up basketball to concentrate on football. In addition to his duties on offense, he also appeared on the defensive line for several snaps during his senior year.
Wait...what? Senior year? Defensive line? I have a feeling they were drunk while watching film.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
If anyone is moving it would be Curtis who is more athletic than Bennett.

If Parcells was still here, people on this board would be going ape **** we drafted another TE. I dont understand trading away a TE for a 4th round pick and then selecting another in the third round.

Mike Jenkins better live up to his potential or we are looking at another typical Jerry draft.

There has to be a trade on the horizon I just cant imagine us ignoring the wide receiver position in the draft.