Bentley not tagged

Manster68

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Yikes. Sounds too steep, especially with Adams, Allen and Rivera already costing so much...

It doesn't sound very promising, does it?

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy said:
No need in cutting Allen, he is still a huge asset.

Afterall, in the absence of Hoffman, we need someone to keep our kickers in line.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile said:
A much, much bigger need than OT. IMO.

not in mine

they have one good tackle coming off ACL surgery and two friggin awful guys in Tucker and Pettiti, who just happened to finish 1-2 in the NFL in sacks allowed...Pettiti was quite possibly the worst regular starting OL I have ever seen us put on the field by the end of the season last yr (he regressed badly as the yr wore on IMO) and Tucker wasnt far behind

David

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Yikes. Sounds too steep, especially with Adams, Allen and Rivera already costing so much...
It would be so bad if we didn't overpay for Adams and Allen so far. That's part of the problem when you have too much loyalty and overpay for past performances than what the players are currently worth for their performance.

If you're going to shell out a fortune for players then do so while they're just entering their prime.. ala Bentley.. not for players like Allen and Rivera whose best days are far behind them.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
According to profootballtalk.com, the Saints will not be using the franchise tag on Bentley. Come on Jerry get this one done.

Maybe--there is a reason Bentley is not being tagged as the Saints franchise player? But, it is the Saints.....

burmafrd

Reaction score
dbair, there you go again. Pettiti was beaten up, injured and tired by the end of the year. Early on with help he was decent. YOU seem to want to forget certain things. Now he should be better with a year of offseason conditioning and watching film. SHould we try and get someone better- if we can without breaking the bank yes- but try and use some common sense. Read Yakuza's study of our O line. THAT IS if you are interested in REAL research and not just popping off.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Get er dun Jerry. I can't think of a better situation. You have a huge upgrade at center, you can replace Larry Allen or Marco Rivera at guard, and both may be gone by 2007. You have player that hasn't even entered his prime yet he's not a starry-eyed rookie. The offensive line was the biggest weakness last year and in need of the best upgrade.

You couldn't ask for a more perfect signing. Instead of competing with the Lions for 35-year old Marco Rivera, the Cowboys should have been waiting for a situation like this.

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
This is a pipe dream. We won't pay that much for a center. Get over this fantasy and lets move on. $6m a year, no way in hell Parcells justifies us paying that much, let alone Jerry actually writing the check.

TO to Dallas is more reasonable.

Vince Young to Dallas is more reasonable.

Jesus to Dallas is more reasonable.

Cooked, fork in it, moving on.

MrPhil

Reaction score
Zippy Speedster said:
This is a pipe dream. We won't pay that much for a center. Get over this fantasy and lets move on. $6m a year, no way in hell Parcells justifies us paying that much, let alone Jerry actually writing the check.

TO to Dallas is more reasonable.

Vince Young to Dallas is more reasonable.

Jesus to Dallas is more reasonable.

Cooked, fork in it, moving on.

So, what you are saying is that you feel pretty strongly about that? :laugh2:

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Zippy Speedster said:

Yeah, Dallas gives a 35 year old guard a $10 million signing bonus. It sure is a pipe dream that Jerry would sign one of the best centers in the league while he's still in his mid-20's. :rolleyes:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy said:
No more Interior sacks...

Compared to the 1.75 Johnson gave up over the past 2 years?

Bentley actually is credited with 5 over the past 2 years.

Not saying LeCharles isn't better -- but interior sacks isn't the problem. Last time I say LB play, he was giving up a sack for a safety.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Oh hell, I just noticed this news came from Pro Football Talk. Oh well, enjoy the franchise tag Bentley. :(

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
dbair, there you go again. Pettiti was beaten up, injured and tired by the end of the year. Early on with help he was decent. YOU seem to want to forget certain things. Now he should be better with a year of offseason conditioning and watching film. SHould we try and get someone better- if we can without breaking the bank yes- but try and use some common sense. Read Yakuza's study of our O line. THAT IS if you are interested in REAL research and not just popping off.

quit making excuses for the guy, he was getting worse by the week even before he got dinged up...some of it may have been poor coaching, but alot of it is just not being able to do the job

when guys are routinely running virtually untouched by OL's, that a problem...I watched every game we played, some of them twice...the two tackles we trotted out there were hands down the worst starters in the NFL...not only was their pass blocking terrible but the run blocking was also a disgrace...niether Tucker nor Pettiti are able to move their feet or play with good leverage...even guys that were much smaller than them bull rushed them over and over, knocking them off balance routinely and then going right by

getting Adams back will help alot, but he is just one guy...we need some quality talent at the other tackle spot as well

David

aikemirv

Reaction score
6 million a year sounds high, but if you get a guy who can ply a solid G and C (and we know BP likes versatility on the OLine) then you have a huge asset. That is why we paid LA the way we did. At the time he could play both G and T.

If it were me I would pay the 6 for Bentley and go after Fabini also. I would take a look at cutting LA and singing Tonui Fonoti and keeping Gurode if the price was right.

neosapien23

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Oh hell, I just noticed this news came from Pro Football Talk. Oh well, enjoy the franchise tag Bentley. :(

They are prety accurrate on some matters. Remeber last year, they were the only organization that stated that Chicago was intrested in Cedric Benson. Profootball talk is getting alot of inside information becasue they don't name their sources.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
quit making excuses for the guy, he was getting worse by the week even before he got dinged up...some of it may have been poor coaching, but alot of it is just not being able to do the job

when guys are routinely running virtually untouched by OL's, that a problem...I watched every game we played, some of them twice...the two tackles we trotted out there were hands down the worst starters in the NFL...not only was their pass blocking terrible but the run blocking was also a disgrace...niether Tucker nor Pettiti are able to move their feet or play with good leverage...even guys that were much smaller than them bull rushed them over and over, knocking them off balance routinely and then going right by

getting Adams back will help alot, but he is just one guy...we need some quality talent at the other tackle spot as well

David

I am no fan of either tackle but to say they were bullrushed by smaller d-line players for sacks is completeley false Tuckers biggest problems were inside rush moves and pettiti was inside moves and speed outside rushers. Methinks you need to watch those games again, I know its just easier to say I watched every game and that makes it true:rolleyes:

dannyboy

Reaction score
keep in mind that LA will either be released next year or redo his contract to stay. We might be able to afford Bentley

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:
I am no fan of either tackle but to say they were bullrushed by smaller d-line players for sacks is completeley false Tuckers biggest problems were inside rush moves and pettiti was inside moves and speed outside rushers. Methinks you need to watch those games again, I know its just easier to say I watched every game and that makes it true:rolleyes:

then you need to go watch the games again

it happened quite a bit, especially to Pettiti

David