Beriault did really well at the combine....

Ken

Reaction score
got this from the ranch...

good stuff on Berry- O.

Fastest 40 yard dash overall: Fabian Washington (Nebraska) 4.25
Fastest 20 yard shuttle overall: Justin Beriault (Ball State) 3.80
Fastest 60 yard shuttle overall: Ryan Grant (Notre Dame) 10.65
2nd highest vertical jump overall: Derek Wake (Penn St.) 45 ½ inches
2nd fastest 60 yard shuttle overall: Domonique Foxworth (Maryland) 10.70
3rd fastest 60 yard shuttle overall: Justin Beriault (Ball State) 10.82
Fastest 40 yard dash for defensive backs: Fabian Washington (Nebraska) 4.25
Fastest QB 40 yard dash: Matt Jones (Arkansas) 4.37
Highest vertical jump for QB: Matt Jones (Arkansas) 39 ½ inches
Furthest Broad Jump for QB: Matt Jones (Arkansas) 10’9”
Highest vertical for linebackers: Derek Wake (Penn St.) 45 ½ inches
Furthest Broad Jump for linebackers: Derek Wake (Penn St.) 10’10”
Fastest 20 yard shuttle for defensive backs: Justin Beriault (Ball State) 3.80
Fastest 60 yard shuttle for running backs: Ryan Grant (Notre Dame) 10.65
Fastest 60 yard shuttle for cornerbacks: Domonique Foxworth (Maryland) 10.70
Fastest 60 yard shuttle for safeties: Justin Beriault (Ball State) 10.82

BadKarma

Reaction score
Wonder why he fell to us on the second day? Not that I'm complaining. Maybe Mel Kiper was right - he may have been a steal on his draft board.

All we keep hearing is how he's "showing up" during training camp.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Beriault had a very good combine. His numbers compare favourably to the other safeties who we were rumoured to be interested in (Bullocks, Consadine).

For all the talk about Beriault lacking speed, his 40 was pretty close to Bullocks and Consadine. He also outperformed both of them on the agility drills and the vertical and broad jump which speaks to explosiveness in the legs.

They also say you can't teach speed but you can't teach height either. I think there is a good chance Beriault will fill out a bit and improve his performance now that he gets to work with trainers regularly.

Here are the Combine numbers (the only borderline one is Wonderlic - usually want FS to be smart):

Beriault, Justin 6026 204
40-yard dast 4.52
20-yard dash 2.62
10-yard dash 1.56
225 lb bench press reps 14
Vertical jump 39 1/2
Broad jump 11'0"
20-yard shuttle 3.84
3-cone drill 6.93
Wonderlic 20

Josh Bullocks 6000 209
40-yard dast 4.46
20-yard dash 2.64
10-yard dash 1.56
225 lb bench press reps N/A
Vertical jump 37 1/2
Broad jump 9'10"
20-yard shuttle 4.09
3-cone drill 7.09
Wonderlic 19

Considine, Sean 6001 212
40-yard dast 4.50
20-yard dash 2.59
10-yard dash 1.56
225 lb bench press reps 19
Vertical jump 37
Broad jump 9'9"
20-yard shuttle 3.93
3-cone drill 7.11
Wonderlic 33

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
From how I look at things Berryo is the best athlete. Faster cones and better broad jump with decent speed. So quick, agile, athletic and explosive. FSs don't have to be speedsters. Is he as fast as Williams? I say he's fast enough for a safety.

He just needs experience. But people that show up all the time just have it. If he keeps this up and creates some turnovers he'll probably get some playing time. It'll be hard to keep him off the field.

Davis and Reese better pick it up or his potential could cost at least Scott or Reese their jobs.

Too early but very exciting news.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Eagles stealing Consodine really pissed me off. Happy with the B man though :laugh1:

Reaction score
Not so fast on a move to FS...(Although it might happen)

The guy is a SS...Thats why he is playing so well, we now have Roy & others playing where they can make an impact...Berry-O has always played up near the LOS and attacking, not in coverage...Not saying he can't do it...Just that he hasn't yet...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm thinking Berry-O is 50/50 to be the starting FS on opening day.

playit12

Reaction score
What the numbers don't tell you is how fluid he is in the movements required for pass coverage. I watched all the Safety prospects and there was a huge distinction in quality there.

Guys like Marlin Jackson, Dustin Fox, and Josh Bullocks, where much better FS prospects.

What makes a good FS, outside of the measurables, are some of these things:

Does he keep a good lean while on the back pedal
Is he on his heals or balls of his feet
Can he change position without over striding or extra steps
Can he change dirrection at a solid 90 degree at high speed
Can he adjust to the ball
Attack it at the highest point
Keep his body in position while going for the ball
Follow the QB and the ball while all full speed in coverage

Many of these attributes get overlooked or combined into catagories like "good closing speed", "good feet", "follows the ball well", ect... But really they just allow a player not to work against themselves. Lean for instance allows a player to break out of the backpedal at a much better speed and balance then if he had been too far up. Taking extra steps when changing dirrection was a very common problem, and can cause a guy to loose his footing when he gears up to game speed. Nearly all of the Safety prospects had problems with following a reciever while looking back for the ball or QB. These are all vital skills for a FS.

Certainly some of these things can be taught, but for the most part you need several years to make them instinctive. I watched Berry-o and though he did some things better than others, he was not in the same class as the other three guys I mentioned.

If we are starting him on day one we are going to have some problems in coverage this season.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
playit12 said:
What the numbers don't tell you is how fluid he is in the movements required for pass coverage. I watched all the Safety prospects and there was a huge distinction in quality there.

Guys like Marlin Jackson, Dustin Fox, and Josh Bullocks, where much better FS prospects.

What makes a good FS, outside of the measurables, are some of these things:

Does he keep a good lean while on the back pedal
Is he on his heals or balls of his feet
Can he change position without over striding or extra steps
Can he change dirrection at a solid 90 degree at high speed
Can he adjust to the ball
Attack it at the highest point
Keep his body in position while going for the ball
Follow the QB and the ball while all full speed in coverage

Many of these attributes get overlooked or combined into catagories like "good closing speed", "good feet", "follows the ball well", ect... But really they just allow a player not to work against themselves. Lean for instance allows a player to break out of the backpedal at a much better speed and balance then if he had been too far up. Taking extra steps when changing dirrection was a very common problem, and can cause a guy to loose his footing when he gears up to game speed. Nearly all of the Safety prospects had problems with following a reciever while looking back for the ball or QB. These are all vital skills for a FS.

Certainly some of these things can be taught, but for the most part you need several years to make them instinctive. I watched Berry-o and though he did some things better than others, he was not in the same class as the other three guys I mentioned.

If we are starting him on day one we are going to have some problems in coverage this season.

Maybe you or one of the other great and knowledgeable zoners can explain what it is that seems to have Keith Davis better suited for SS than the open FS slot? Living outside of Texas, I have not really been able to see Davis play on ST or anywhere else?

playit12

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
Maybe you or one of the other great and knowledgeable zoners can explain what it is that seems to have Keith Davis better suited for SS than the open FS slot? Living outside of Texas, I have not really been able to see Davis play on ST or anywhere else?

That's going to have to be someone else I'm afraid. I've never seen Keith run the drills or play enough to know how good he is. Hopefully someone else can because I would certainly like to know as well. Unless I'm mistaken I thought Davis played FS in NFLE?

aikemirv

Reaction score
Strengths: Is a hard-nosed, tough, aggressive and powerful SS type. Has a great frame to continue to add bulk. He decent range in zone coverage and adequate straight-line speed. Shows excellent instincts and diagnostic skills. Makes his reads quickly. Is aggressive but disciplined. Won't take a lot of false steps and takes good angles in pursuit. Has adequate ball skills in coverage. Is at his best, however, defending the run. He diagnoses the run quickly, takes solid angles, fills hard and plays with reckless abandon. He is a powerful tackler who also is solid in terms of his open-field tackling skills. Rarely misses a tackle he should make.

Weaknesses: Has adequate but not good speed. Has the frame to get bigger but needs to add the bulk and prove that he can play with the same quickness with extra mass. He is just a decent athlete. Is better coming forward than he is when forced to turn and run. Has adequate range in zone coverage for a SS, but lacks the catch up speed to make up for a mistake and doesn't show great closing burst when chasing down the ball in the air. Also has limitations in man-coverage because of somewhat stiff hips and lack of ideal top-end speed.

Overall: Beriault is a fifth-year senior that redshirted in 2000 and has been a fulltime starter since his redshirt freshman season in 2001. As a junior in 2003, he led the Cardinals in total tackles with 145, including six TFL, one INT and six PBU. He continued to be extremely productive as a senior in 2004, as he finished with 125 tackles, five TFL, one INT, one PBU and one fumble recovery. Beriault is a classic blue-collar strong safety prospect. He is lean but has the frame to get bigger. He has decent speed and lacks ideal athleticism, but he is as tough, instinctive and active as it gets. Beriault likely will never develop into a fulltime contributor on defense in the NFL but he has the potential to be an adequate reserve that can keep a roster spot by making a big contribution on special teams. After an impressive combine workout, Beriault's stock is on the rise and it wouldn't surprise us if he came off the board somewhere in the fifth-through-sixth round range of the upcoming draft.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24417

It just sounds as if Beriault would not turn out to be a great FS based on his scouting reports. Sounds like a good player to have on the field though. It really sounds like BP would like to try him there though, but is hesitant to do it at this point.

lspain1

Reaction score
If you have an impressive combine workout, how do you get the criticism "lacks ideal athleticism?" I thought the combine workouts were designed to measure exactly that along with specific football skills.

playit12

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
If you have an impressive combine workout, how do you get the criticism "lacks ideal athleticism?" I thought the combine workouts were designed to measure exactly that along with specific football skills.

If you write up the scouting report before the combine and then just tack on one or two lines at the end when the numbers come back.

However I will say that his football speed seems slower than some of the other top prospects because of some below average fundamentals as mentioned above. For example, if you can swivel your hips without getting too tall you can't get to the same position as quickly as someone that stays down and can break towards the play. Some scouts might have interpretted this as a lack of speed.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
smashmouth said:
I say we convert him to FS and get on with it.

I agree.

I realize Purcells says he doesn't like moving rookies around. They're only four days into camp ... just do it now and then leave him.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I'm thinking Berry-O is 50/50 to be the starting FS on opening day.
I'm thinking it too Mike.

He has about 40 days to prove he belongs there, and at this rate , it looks good he will.

He'll be buried behind Roy.

But it sounds like he'd have an excellent shot of beating out Reese, Scott, and Davis.