News: Bernadeau Plenty Good Enough When He's Healthy

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Eatman: Bernadeau Plenty Good Enough When He's Healthy

Nick Eatman DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

bernadeau_080713_650.jpg

OXNARD, Calif. – Tuesday night was one of the wild nights at training camp. Names such as Brian Waters and then Brandon Moore kept surfacing.

Some people said the Cowboys wanted Waters. Many then said it was Moore. Some said the Cowboys were interested in both and trying to play the two off each other and get the best deal.

Where we stand on Wednesday is none of them are here. And the Cowboys will practice with Ron Leary and
Mackenzy Bernadeau again at the guards.

So now what? Are the Cowboys going to turn the attention to Waters? Well, when the question was asked to Jason Garrett, the head coach didn’t deny the interest, and admitted the team has at least inquired about the 36-year-old veteran.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...-Healthy/4cd09312-b2ec-4f23-9fa0-a5e5e60462ec

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Honestly, this is a pretty weak article by Eatman. He didn't present any facts or statistics to support his points, he just relies on blanket statements like "he was the best guard" and "he is good enough." Um, ok, WHY was he the best guard, and WHAT makes him good enough?

IrishAnto

Reaction score
The main problem is this; is he every going to be healthy?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Thats the issue. Mack and Livings can't e trusted to remain healthy and Leary has that knee issue that could pop up at any time. I don't think you can go into the season with those 3 as the top guards. There needs to be another OG capable of starting added to the mix.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Thats the issue. Mack and Livings can't e trusted to remain healthy and Leary has that knee issue that could pop up at any time. I don't think you can go into the season with those 3 as the top guards. There needs to be another OG capable of starting added to the mix.

Leary's knee issue is degenerative, so I doubt it's just going to "pop up" one day.

conner01

Reaction score
leary's knee is not a pop up type probelm. it will shorten his career but should be a problem for a few years. it is degenerative issue so other than your routine knee injury he should'nt have any issues for several years with this issue
my guess is they look at waters and see if he is game ready. the other option is have both bernie and livings play the spot. maybe each week one will be healthy enough to play. thats a sad situation but a viable option

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don't care how Leary's knee is classified. It is not a very comfortable situation to have him as a starter with no depth behind him. No one knows when those knees will start to hurt. It could be next week or it could be 10 years from now. My point is that if he is a starter, you need someone behind him you are comfortable with because you just never know.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Eatman: Bernadeau Plenty Good Enough

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Attitudes like that is why the team has been so middle of the pack over the last few years, "plenty good" gets Romo bounced around like a human pinball. It looked like Berny was losing his job, gaining it back due to a guy retiring doesn't instill confidence at all. Even the healthy caveat should set off alarm bells. The need to bring in a vet, if for nothing else just a little dept at something. Look how much they needed Cook last year. Jeeze, even the Parnell/Free combo isn't lighting my world on fire.

Ren

Reaction score
Since they struck out most spectacularly on trying to upgrade the writers on the payroll have to earn their pay putting a spin on it

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hope we can improve the RG spot but I don't think the season is over with if Bernadeau ends up starting.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Bernie is very average but my main fault for him is his inconsistency. You'd think if there was a really significant health issue then it would appear to hinder him most plays if not all. That's not what I saw last year. He's prototypical of the entire OL; inconsistent. Caught some grief by saying this guy is dominating on one play then mediocre for a few then bad then repeat the cycle. Maybe Callahan can do something with him and maybe he was injured with the shoulder more than we thought. That wouldn't be unusual in they tend to hide as much as they can when they have to play injured starters.

We'll see. At least there is some depth although it doesn't stay healthy. Posted another article where of 18 OL 7 are injured and 4 are along the interior. With Living's possibility an injury casualty it appears they are looking for competition. Hope things aren't worse than we even think.

dmq

Reaction score
Perhaps the consistency in the OL is actually going to come from Frederick. Calling the right coverages, getting everyone set. This OL has looked unsettled for years. I have found several comments recently (from Garrett, Romo, Bernadeau) that lead me to believe that Frederick knowing what is going on and calling the right calls along with the confidence that instills will actually go a long way towards the lines stability and cohesion.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, this is a pretty weak article by Eatman. He didn't present any facts or statistics to support his points, he just relies on blanket statements like "he was the best guard" and "he is good enough." Um, ok, WHY was he the best guard, and WHAT makes him good enough?

Almost of of Eatman's work is weak. He published something (maybe just tweets) awhile back that referenced at least 3 players that are not on the team. He apparently correlated the Jersey numbers to an old roster. One of them was that running back that is Ray Lewis half-brother. I forget his name at the moment, be has not been here in over a year.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Perhaps the consistency in the OL is actually going to come from Frederick. Calling the right coverages, getting everyone set. This OL has looked unsettled for years. I have found several comments recently (from Garrett, Romo, Bernadeau) that lead me to believe that Frederick knowing what is going on and calling the right calls along with the confidence that instills will actually go a long way towards the lines stability and cohesion.

Frankly BS. It is with the players, not the signals or anything else. They FAIL all too often just getting it done.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only a matter of time before we make a trade.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Bernadeau's health should be a concern but not so much his ability to regain a starting role.

Yes, it took him half the season to work back into shape last year after hip and knee surgery but I think this year is different -- it was just shoulder surgery. Look at how well Ware is playing in camp after undergoing shoulder surgery.

I am one of those people that believe it is easier to regain form after any surgery above the waist. Strength takes longer and is harder to regain below the waist.

Bern may be a little rusty but as long as he does not suffer another injury setback he should be ready to go as a starter on opening day.

dmq

Reaction score
BS? Yeah, because a Center knowing what he is doing and knowing when to help and not help makes no difference. I disagree. If you want to argue it not making a big difference at Tackle, I can agree with that. However, a good Center can be instumental to the success of your Guards.