Besides CB Oliver, 2 more guys interested in entering supplemental draft

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
hey, guys before cb oliver that is entering the supplemental draft, i found 2 more guys that are interested in entering the supplemental draft, one is from maryland huge OT and other one from texas state, anyone know or seen them play?

A source has informed us that Mark Washington of Texas State will enter the supplemental draft. He played defensive tackle at T.S.U., but played linebacker at Arizona State. He's ineligible for next season. He also says he's not a true defensive tackle but can play defensive end or linebacker. Washington is 6'3" and 250 pounds and says he runs a 4.51 40 yard dash.

Mark Washington

Class:Junior
Hometown:Long Beach, Calif.
High School:LB Poly
Last College:Arizona State
Height / Weight:6-3 / 250
Position:DL
Birthdate:08/20/1985
Experience:TR

Joined the Texas State program from Arizona State back in the spring ... listed on the Bobcats' two-deep at right end but is capable of playing either defensive end position ... possesses great speed, incredible talent and is an explosive player ... with more work on technique could become one of the best pass rushers among the Bobcats' defensive ends.
At Arizona State: Played in eight games at linebacker as a true freshman ... recorded seven tackles during the year, all unassisted ... also had two tackles for lost yards and a quarterback sack ... collected a season-high five solo tackles at Stanford where he registered the two tackles for loss and sack.
Long Beach Poly: Comes from the same storied Long Beach Poly program which produced All-SLC wide receiver Markee White ... hard-hitting linebacker who had 120 total tackles as a senior - 65 solo stops and 55 assists ... had 23 tackles for lost yards, six quarterback sacks, recovered three fumbles and caused five ... first-team All-CIF on defense ... also a first-team All-Moore League selection ... was named to the All-Long Beach Team as well as selected to the Long Beach Press-Telegram's Dream Team ... received the school's Most Outstanding Linebacker Award ... a member of The Tacoma News Tribune's "Western 100" ... an All-America selection by PrepStar Magazine, a Max Emfinger All-American and rated the No. 5 linebacker in the West by PacWestFootball.com ... also rated as the No. 85 player in the Farwest by SuperPrep Magazine ... as a junior, posted 45 tackles, five for lost yards and three quarterback sacks ... caused three fumbles and intercepted a pair of passes ... started four games for 2001 Poly team which captured the CIF Southern Section Division I championship and finished the year ranked No. 3 nationally by USA Today ... high school coach was Raul Lara ... played his sophomore year at Artesia High School.
Personal: Born Aug. 20, 1985 in Harbor City, Calif ... son of Mark and Dorthea Washington ... father played defensive end at the University of Colorado ... renaissance student-athlete who has had poetry published in the Poem Society Book and acted in Queen of the Nile at Long Beach State University ... is an applied arts and science major at Texas State.

Jared Gaither (born on March 18, 1986 in White Plains, Maryland) is an offensive lineman currently playing for Maryland. He is 6'9" and weighs 328 pounds. He set Maryland's record for an offensive lineman with a 36-inch vertical jump.[citation needed]
Gaither played basketball for his first three years of high school before playing football in his senior year. He played defensive tackle and tight end. He recorded 89 tackles, 9 sacks, 1 forced fumble, and 4 passes deflected.
As a true freshman in 2005, Gaither played in all 11 games and started the last 8. He was named a third team Freshman All-American by College Football News and honorable mention by The Sporting News. He allowed no sacks in 583 snaps played (all at left tackle) and committed 2 penalties.
As a sophomore, Jared played in twelve games and helped the Terps offensive line allow just 19 sacks all season. He was a member of the 2006 preseason watch list for the Outland Trophy, a consensus preseason All-ACC choice, and ranked No. 7 nationally among offensive tackles by The Sporting News.
He was eligible for the 2007 NFL Draft as a sophomore because he went to one year of prep school. Many mock drafts had him in the top ten because of his immense size, impressive athleticism, and huge upside while others claimed he wouldn't be picked until the second round because his form still needed to be refined and he wasn't even starting every game for his college team. Ultimately, he decided to stick around for his junior year and there are few 2008 mock drafts predicting Gaither falling any later than the middle of the first round.
Jared Gaither currently isn't participating in Spring practices because he's being trying to straighten out his grades so he can play next season.

Jared Gaither

Class:Junior
Hometown:White Plains, Md.
High School:Eleanor Roosevelt
Height / Weight:6-9 / 350
Position:Offensive Lineman
Experience:2V

A talented offensive tackle who possesses an ideal combination of size and athleticism ... has started 17 of the last 21 games at either left or right tackle ... had a tremendous campaign in his first season at the college level, not allowing a single sack from his left tackle position ... player who is naturally very strong and has yet to reach his physical potential ... an honors candidate, despite his youth ... in the spring of 2006, set the school record for an offensive lineman with a 36-inch vertical jump ... scheduled to sit out the spring of 2007 to concentrate on academics.
as a Sophomore (2006): Played in 12 games at right tackle, starting nine ... opened holes for running backs Lance Ball and Keon Lattimore, who eached rushed for over 700 yards on the season ... part of an offensive line which allowed just 19 sacks, the second-lowest total in the ACC ... (vs. PU in the Champs Sports Bowl) ... saw action in 38 plays, helping the Terps post a season-high 429 yards of total offense ... (vs. WF) ... played on 38 plays with one big block ... (vs. BC) ... saw action on 10 plays ... (vs. Miami) ... started and recorded one big block in 32 plays ... (vs. Clemson) ... played and notched three big blocks on 56 plays ... (vs. FSU) ... started and notched a team-high three big blocks ... (vs. NC St.) ... started and posted two big blocks on 50 plays ... (vs. UVA) ... was in on 58 plays with two big blocks ... (vs. GT) ... started and was in on 55 plays with one big block ... (vs. FIU) ... started at right tackle and posted two big blocks in 64 plays ... did not allow a sack ... (vs. WVU) ... appeared on 74 plays at right tackle with two big blocks ... (vs. WM) ... did not play in the season opener ... member of the 2006 preseason watch list for the Outland Trophy ... a consensus preseason All-ACC choice ... ranked No. 7 nationally among offensive tackles by The Sporting News.
as a Freshman (2005): Saw action in all 11 games, starting the last eight ... named a third team Freshman All-American by College Football News and honorable mention by The Sporting News ... finished the season with a 1.122 grade, second-highest on the team ... did not allow a sack in 583 offensive plays (all at left tackle) ... was whistled for just two penalties all year ... (at NC St.) ... on a day the team struggled in pass protection (six sacks), gave up no sacks and managed two pancake blocks and no penalties in 70 offensive plays ... (vs. BC) ... was in on 83 plays ... did not allow a sack and recorded two pancake blocks ... (at UNC) ... was team's highest-rated blocker on 77 plays ... yielded no sacks and has just one missed assignment ... cleared a hole on the right side for Lance Ball for a 13-yard gain in the first quarter ... opened up a similar seam later in the quarter, setting up a 10-yard Ball pickup... (at FSU) ... was in for all 65 plays ... did not allow any sacks and credited with a pair of big blocks ... (vs. VT) ... was team's second-highest rated lineman ... in on a team-high 64 plays ... credited with a team-high tying three big blocks ... made a big block on LB Xavier Adibi to open up a hole for Lance Ball on a 12-yard pickup where he knocked the star linebacker two yards out of bounds ... (vs. UVA) ... started and was in on a team-high 80 plays ... credited with three big blocks ... was second on the team with three pancake blocks ... allowed no sacks and was whistled for no penalties ... (at WFU) ... made first career start at left tackle ... did not allow a sack and was credited with one big block.
at Hargrave Military Academy: Started every game at right tackle ... a four-star recruit by Rivals.com ... rated as the No. 3 prep school prospect in the nation by Rivals.com ... recruited out of prep school by Penn State and Virginia Tech ... coach at Hargrave was Robert Prunty.
at Eleanor Roosevelt High School: Played just one season of football and started along the defensive line ... played basketball for three years before going out for football for the first time as a senior ... played defensive tackle and tight end for one of the top teams in the state ... recorded 89 tackles, including nine sacks, and one forced fumble while batting down four passes at the line of scrimmage ... was primarily a blocking tight end, but finished the season with three receptions for 93 yards and a pair of touchdowns ... earned significant postseason honors despite playing only one year ... ranked as the 36th-best defensive tackle in the nation by Rivals.com ... an honorable mention All-Met selection by the Washington Post ... a SuperPrep All-American and Mid-Atlantic all-region pick ... a PrepStar honorable mention selection ... selected to play for Maryland in the Super 44 all-star game ... first team all-league and all-county ... team posted a 12-1 record in 2003, losing its only game of the season in the 4A state semifinals ... lettered four years in basketball ... was a major D-I recruit in basketball ... had verbally committed to South Carolina in hoops before deciding to play football ... also recruited in football by Florida, Georgia, Pittsburgh and Clemson ... coached by Rick Houchens.
Personal: Born March 18, 1986 ... parents are Joyce Gaither and David Suggs ... enrolled in the College of Letters and Sciences.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That Washington guy looks pretty interesting. I don't know what kind of character issues he might have but physically speaking, he sounds pretty good.

If he really is 6'3", 250lbs and truly runs a 4.51, then physically he is right around what DeMarcus Ware was coming out of Troy.

I might put in a late round bid on the guy if he works out like they say he will.

By the way... who is the CB Oliver coming out? I haven't been online too much lately and haven't heard about him.

Twyst

Reaction score
AsthmaField;1506185 said:
By the way... who is the CB Oliver coming out? I haven't been online too much lately and haven't heard about him.
He was supposed to be a top 20 pick next year, but he flunked out. Someone will definately give a second rounder for him, someone may actually give a first. He is the only guy other than reggie ball to shut down CJ :) He was from UGA

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I really like Gaither but he is raw and unpolished. I didn't read the whole bio you have, but I don't think he allowed a sack at Maryland. He is big, strong and athletic. He is a RT but some say that he could play LT, which is why he was projected as a 1st rounder had he entered this year. Another one of those 2nd/3rd round picks if you think you can afford it.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1506218 said:
I really like Gaither but he is raw and unpolished. I didn't read the whole bio you have, but I don't think he allowed a sack at Maryland. He is big, strong and athletic. He is a RT but some say that he could play LT, which is why he was projected as a 1st rounder had he entered this year. Another one of those 2nd/3rd round picks if you think you can afford it.

With World B. Free and Ricky Marten as our OT's of the future, we don't really need to burn a pick on Gaither.

Oliver could be interesting though....

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
No disagreements there, I'm just saying if you think you can afford to spend a 2nd/3rd on a possible first round talent. I like both Marten and Free as well, but they haven't shown anything yet and if you think Gaither could be better then you might have to weigh that.

I would prefer Oliver though, just because he is another player that was projected as a 1st round talent and is at a position of need.

Twyst

Reaction score
I think there is a strong possibility a team spends a projected late first on him. I wouldnt be terribly upset if the saints did, I dont expect to have a top 20 pick so why not. colts could use him as well.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Twyst;1506312 said:
I think there is a strong possibility a team spends a projected late first on him. I wouldnt be terribly upset if the saints did, I dont expect to have a top 20 pick so why not. colts could use him as well.

Colts used their 1st rounder next year to trade with San Fran to take Tony Ugoh.

And Indi already has a bunch of young CBs on that roster (Jennings, Hughes, Jackson)

Reaction score
Gaither has a world of talent, but his work ethic leaves quite a bit to be desired. He was pretty much kicked off the team due to academic issues, which is why the supp draft is just about his only option at this point.

He stepped in at LT while at Maryland when one of the starters (Stephon Heyer) went down with a knee injury, and the converted TE wasn't quite doing the job. All he did was shut down most of the top pass rushers in the ACC. When Heyer came back last year, Gaither was put at RT, but almost seemed disinterested at times. He had some other run-ins with the coaches, violating team rules, etc, and was suspended for parts of games, or complete games altogether.

It's a shame, because he is incredibly talented. He could have gotten his grades in order, stayed eligible for this season, and dominated at LT (where he was pretty much cemented as the starter). Probably would have been a first round pick in next year's draft. 2nd round at worst.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BigDInCharlotte;1506705 said:
Gaither has a world of talent, but his work ethic leaves quite a bit to be desired. He was pretty much kicked off the team due to academic issues, which is why the supp draft is just about his only option at this point.

He stepped in at LT while at Maryland when one of the starters (Stephon Heyer) went down with a knee injury, and the converted TE wasn't quite doing the job. All he did was shut down most of the top pass rushers in the ACC. When Heyer came back last year, Gaither was put at RT, but almost seemed disinterested at times. He had some other run-ins with the coaches, violating team rules, etc, and was suspended for parts of games, or complete games altogether.

It's a shame, because he is incredibly talented. He could have gotten his grades in order, stayed eligible for this season, and dominated at LT (where he was pretty much cemented as the starter). Probably would have been a first round pick in next year's draft. 2nd round at worst.

Gaither doesn't sound like a player Dallas would be too keen on getting unless they are able to snag him w/ a lower round pick in the supp

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Twyst;1506190 said:
He was supposed to be a top 20 pick next year, but he flunked out. Someone will definately give a second rounder for him, someone may actually give a first. He is the only guy other than reggie ball to shut down CJ :) He was from UGA
I dont know if it was a team effort or an individual effort, but Calvin Johnson was completely shut down at Clemson.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
So is Gaithers considered first round talent but 7th round judgment? Where would he be drafted right now if the draft were tomorrow? Where should he go in the supplemental round? How do teams interview and work these guys out? And when is the draft again?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
AsthmaField;1506185 said:
That Washington guy looks pretty interesting. I don't know what kind of character issues he might have but physically speaking, he sounds pretty good.

If he really is 6'3", 250lbs and truly runs a 4.51, then physically he is right around what DeMarcus Ware was coming out of Troy.

I might put in a late round bid on the guy if he works out like they say he will.

Gaither is widely considered to be a near-certain first day prospect in next year's draft... one value board I've seen has him going in the late first round (of course, this is really early in the process)... his 40 time is apparently in the 5.3 second range, if his weight is down in the 330 range... some sites have him listed as heavy as 350, though...

I could justify investing a 3rd round bid in the supplemental draft on him... as I've said earlier, I could also justify a 2nd round pick on Paul Oliver... don't have a clue what kind of value Washington has, couldn't even begin to guess... I suspect he'll be one of those fringe prospects who go unclaimed, then sign with some team as a free agent...

silverbear

Reaction score
BigDInCharlotte;1506705 said:

I didn't know about those off-field issues, thanks for filling us in...

Now I know that Gaither is JAK-- Just Another Knucklehead...

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Does anybody know what date the supplemental draft is scheduled to be held on or has it been set yet?

silverbear

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy;1506864 said:
Does anybody know what date the supplemental draft is scheduled to be held on or has it been set yet?

It's generally sometime shortly before training camp starts...