CFZ Best Drafts in Cowboys History

quickccc

Reaction score
A lot of people on this board were clamoring for Henry in round 2 if he was there. A big, fast back like that running behind that OL would have been epic and a much better value than Zeke at #4 overall which most everyone agrees was an error. Chub was injured a lot at UGA and Kamara was a surprise.

No RB is worth the 4th overall pick b/c they are a dime a dozen and available deep in the draft. Zeke wasn't even Hershel Walker special and has no shot at the HOF.
To each his own, but if i am in need of a RB, ..and it's a " generational " RB at my disposal (Please underline generational) ,per the value of my draft board- I'm much incline taking him.
The turning big key is generational RBs don't come around very much.

You'd have to decide as an organization if a Saquon Barkley,.. a Adrian Peterson....a Barry Sanders....even a Zeke Elliott is " generational ".

Also if RBs are so dime a dozen, how is that there are still NFL teams that do not have a star RB ?
What i do agree with that's probably said, i'm not for taking a RB in first round, just for the sake of taking one for need_(same as any positions in 1st round)

To this day, I have no idea what KC Chiefs scouts saw in RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire to take him in first round- even late 1st.
I see Steelers Dajee Harris, and i'm not seeing first round value. -he's not even the equal of Pollard.

Sony Michel ? Even the great dynasty Pats failed at that first round..
These may be example of guys where college splash made them looker much more dynamic in college than what they turn out at the NFL level. .

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a reason why Henry, who was the Heisman Trophy winner, prolific college career, and national championship winner, marvelous physical measurement size/speed ration
and pre-draft workout wonder dropped into the second round. And at that time, there wasn't the No RB in 1st round epidemic as it is now.

- Every since Trent Richardson bust factor, Bama RBs were getting a reputation for being " straight-liners ", who college support cast/coaches made them better at college level
than what they will be in NFL. And at that draft time per 2016, i was hearing the same with Henry.

- NFL teams do it every year without fail....right at draft time, they will over-draft, start building some type of perceived notions and minuses about a player
and then dropped them further down their draft board.

- Ditto the opposite, with over-valuing a player based off mere pre-draft wonder workouts and instantly sky-rocketing his stock up their draft value boards on that alone.
Each guy is different. Trent Richardson had nothing to do with Henry. Thats some lazy scouting lumping those guys together. You have to consider that the big school have OLs that dominate which makes their rbs look better. UGA always had a stable of RBs who can take it to the house, but they also have an OL loaded with future NFL players. Same at OSU and Bama

The more pertinent fact was the second and 3rd day guys showing up in pro bowls. That is what devalued the position on draft day. Why use a first if you can find the same guy in round 2 or 3? Heck, we found Pollard in round 4 and he was more explosive than Zeke from Day 1........ but Zeke's draft status and salary kept Pollard off the field too much.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To each his own, but if i am in need of a RB, ..and it's a " generational " RB at my disposal (Please underline generational) ,per the value of my draft board- I'm much incline taking him.
The turning big key is generational RBs don't come around very much.

You'd have to decide as an organization if a Saquon Barkley,.. a Adrian Peterson....a Barry Sanders....even a Zeke Elliott is " generational ".

Also if RBs are so dime a dozen, how is that there are still NFL teams that do not have a star RB ?
What i do agree with that's probably said, i'm not for taking a RB in first round, just for the sake of taking one for need_(same as any positions in 1st round)

To this day, I have no idea what KC Chiefs scouts saw in RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire to take him in first round- even late 1st.
I see Steelers Dajee Harris, and i'm not seeing first round value. -he's not even the equal of Pollard.

Sony Michel ? Even the great dynasty Pats failed at that first round..
These may be example of guys where college splash made them looker much more dynamic in college than what they turn out at the NFL level. .
The game has changed since the Sanders and Walter Payton stalked football fields. Its a passing league now so WRs, OT, and QBs get all the prestige and money. Giants were just as foolish as us drafting barkley. They would be a better team today if they had used that pick on other guys.

quickccc

Reaction score
The game has changed since the Sanders and Walter Payton stalked football fields. Its a passing league now so WRs, OT, and QBs get all the prestige and money. Giants were just as foolish as us drafting barkley. They would be a better team today if they had used that pick on other guys.
When defenses are so stalked scared because of the instant home run speed you bring to the table ..on every single touch -whether run or catch, I don't think
that's a mistake with teams drafting a full time guy as such.

And it's really only less than a handful of those kind starting backs in the league,
And not all NFL teams have that kind of starting franchise QB to successfully transcend to today's passing trend

But think it becomes a mistake when teams and coaches just lean on that RB alone to carry the offense, because of their own fears of their QB's mistakes
, or their own coaching philosophy of bell-cow to death the starting RB to have a chance to ensure their wins.

I really the latter becomes the problem with your thinking is the pound the ball bell cow philosophy and mentality.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I would definitely add 2005 and though a number of guys aren't here anymore 2016 yielded some players too. 2003 and 2014 should also get a mention.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
On a separate note I reviewed all the
Cowboys drafts its amazing how much better we're drafting now vs 95 through 2004. There were a couple good drafts but that was a rough stretch. We obviously traded away a lot of 1st round picks but it's clear the Cowboys didnt have a great handle on their draft process.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When defenses are so stalked scared because of the instant home run speed you bring to the table ..on every single touch -whether run or catch, I don't think
that's a mistake with teams drafting a full time guy as such.

And it's really only less than a handful of those kind starting backs in the league,
And not all NFL teams have that kind of starting franchise QB to successfully transcend to today's passing trend

But think it becomes a mistake when teams and coaches just lean on that RB alone to carry the offense, because of their own fears of their QB's mistakes
, or their own coaching philosophy of bell-cow to death the starting RB to have a chance to ensure their wins.

I really the latter becomes the problem with your thinking is the pound the ball bell cow philosophy and mentality.
I don't really have a preference. I enjoyed football in the 70's, 80's, 90, and up until now. The game evolves as the rules change. The players evolve as the training improves. There are plenty of "home run" threats in the NFL today. You just don't have to go to the top of the draft to find them.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't really have a preference. I enjoyed football in the 70's, 80's, 90, and up until now. The game evolves as the rules change. The players evolve as the training improves. There are plenty of "home run" threats in the NFL today. You just don't have to go to the top of the draft to find them.
It's less of a guarantee of finding them in the later rounds, as mentioned before, if RBs were such a dime a dozen easy pickings, then every team would have a star RB.
And I don't see the plenty " amount of starting RB home runs in the NFL. I've only seen a handful ( Barkley, Pollard, Henry, McCaffrey, Taylor, ETienne, Kamara and Cook)

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's less of a guarantee of finding them in the later rounds, as mentioned before, if RBs were such a dime a dozen easy pickings, then every team would have a star RB.
And I don't see the plenty " amount of starting RB home runs in the NFL. I've only seen a handful ( Barkley, Pollard, Henry, McCaffrey, Taylor, ETienne, Kamara and Cook)
Chubb? Jacobs? 2022 ALL-Pros. Austin Ekler... Aaron Jones...

The teams that have trouble running the ball almost invariably have OL problems.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I would have to say 1975. My favorites are 1990, 2002, 2010, 2016, and 2020 because those were all the drafts that we picked the player I wanted with our top pick.

CoachD

Reaction score
The 1990 draft, Emmitt alone makes that a great draft.

They got a few other solid players as well in Kenny Gant and Jimmie Jones.
Especially when they wanted to draft the linebacker James Francis that went to Cincinnati.