Best New Wave Song Ever

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would any or all of U2 be considered New Wave? Ive always been of the opinion that some does and doesnt fit the genre

Because they came out around the time that New Wave was forming, bands like U2, The Cars, INXS and Talking Heads got included in that movement but I always considered them more organic and as far as radio airplay, the first two broke on Album Oriented Rock stations and then were picked up because they hit with such force.

It was ironic that research showed males in the prime AOR demo hated music with synth and revolted when ZZ Top added it and called them sell outs, even moreso when the headlines MTV. Electronic music was born in AOR with bands like The Moody Blues, ELP, King Crimson and Yes.

I am a big Rick Wakeman and Yanni fan because of their compositions and a lot of the electronic influencers were classically trained. I got my first look at what lives in the mind of those composers with the release of "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "Live at the Acropolis". Not every band had the resources to record live with the London Philharmonic as the Moodies did.

As I watched "Journey to the Center of the Earth" played with a full orchestra and Rick Wakeman decked out in those white robes at the center of it, I wondered about all of those musicians and what they were thinking. 'He has us, a full orchestra, yet there he is surrounded by his real friends.......electronics'.

The marriage of real instrumentation and electronics was the dawning of a new age to me but not to my organic in your face rockers, they thought I was selling out. I didn't care because I was buying all the way in.

Today, I can put the band Yes up against any rock band that ever existed as the marriage of excellent musicians and Electonica not to be matched. They got it and used one to make the other better. And for matching their music with a vocalist, Jon Anderson, they have no peer to me except The Moodies.

Zman5

Reaction score

"Why can't the girls from Go-Go's have babies? Because their lips are sealed". :muttley: