Best NFL team past or present with all prime players

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Which team do you think would be the best team, past or present, if every player on that roster where in their prime? There is a lot to consider, so to make sure everyone knows where I am going with this, here is an example. Remember, everyone on the team would be in the prime:

1997 Dallas Cowboys

QB - Troy Aikman
RBs - Emmitt Smith, Herschel Walker
FB - Daryl "Moose" Johnston
WRs - Michael Irvin, Anthony Miller, Stephret Williams (not much here)
TE - Eric Bjornson
O Line - Mark Tuinei, Larry Allen, Clay Shiver, Nate Newton, Erik Williams

D Line - Tony Tolbert, Chad Hennings, Leon Lett, Shante Carver
LBs - Randall Godfrey, Fred Strickland, Dexter Coakley
CBs - Kevin Smith, Deion Sanders, Kevin Mathis
SS - Darren Woodson
FS - Brock Marion

Could you image having a prime Emmitt and Herschel in the backfield? I wouldn't pick this team though, but you get the idea.

Open for discussion.

dallasfan

Reaction score
Unfortunately the 2000' Commanders. Having Dana Stubbifield and Bruce Smith in their Prime and a secondary of Darrell Green, Deion Sanders and Champ Bailey is scary. Not to mention they picked up Andre Reed for a few games.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Man I forgot about them. That would have been a Monster team...but I guess you could say the same for any of the Dan Snyder Commander teams....:eek:

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
The 1992 or 93 Cowboy Team ..... no doubt in my mind

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
The 1992 or 93 Cowboy Team ..... no doubt in my mind

How about last years Cowboys with Vinnie and Eddie George? They would be strong.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:
How about last years Cowboys with Vinnie and Eddie George? They would be strong.

In their prime.....That would be at least 7 or 8 years ago.......????? Possibly.

TheHustler

Reaction score
The Raiders in 02 would be pretty darn good. Gannon, Rice, Brown and Garner on offense. Woodson, Woodson, and Romo on defense.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
I'd take the 1992 Cowboys over 1993, for one simple reason: Jimmy Smith.

Here's an obscure team that deserves some consideration ...

1993 Chiefs: Joe Montana, Marcus Allen, Neil Smith, Derrick Thomas, Dale Carter, Will Shields

ravidubey

Reaction score
dallasfan said:
Unfortunately the 2000' Commanders. Having Dana Stubbifield and Bruce Smith in their Prime and a secondary of Darrell Green, Deion Sanders and Champ Bailey is scary. Not to mention they picked up Andre Reed for a few games.

That team proved Stubby owed quite a bit to Bryant Young. But yeah, some of the other players on that defense would have been scary. But who did they have playing offense, again? ;)

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
the 1985 chicago bears were without a doubt the best team i've ever seen play in the national football league.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
That team proved Stubby owed quite a bit to Bryant Young. But yeah, some of the other players on that defense would have been scary. But who did they have playing offense, again? ;)

Brad Johnson, Stephen Davis, Larry Centers, Irving Fryar, Andre Reed, and Stephen Alexander ... not exactly scrubs if you take them in their prime.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:
the 1985 chicago bears were without a doubt the best team i've ever seen play in the national football league.

Would love to see a 1992 Cowboy vs 1985 Bears matchup......That Dallas Great OL against the great Bear D......What a game that would be. :eek:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
NinePointOh said:
Brad Johnson, Stephen Davis, Larry Centers, Irving Fryar, Andre Reed, and Stephen Alexander ... not exactly scrubs if you take them in their prime.

yeah, but none of those guys is troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Darryl Johsnton, Michael irvin or Jay Novecek in their primes...and all these guys are WAY better than those guys were

oh, and all just happened to REALLY be in their primes from 92-95

David

pancakeman

Reaction score
This is an interesting question.

One possible candidate would be the 1998 Denver Broncos: Steve Atwater, Terrell Davis, John Elway, Ed McCaffrey, Bill Romanowski, good OL players...

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Those Vikings teams that were pretty good. Randall Cunningham, Chris Carter, Randy Moss, Robert Smith

Philly with a Dorsey Levens in his prime. They would have had the power running game they needed to beat NE.

Last years Cowboys...Vinny, Keyshawn, Witten, Jones, George, Glenn, Allen, Jets RT whos name slips my mind. RCB would have been to much of a weakness

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:

They were great. The 85 defense especially was clearly the best I have ever seen. Their office was above average, but that defense was incredible. Remember they started Steve Fuller at QB for a while that year. Then they lost to the Commanders in 86 and 87. ????

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:
They were great. The 85 defense especially was clearly the best I have ever seen. Their office was above average, but that defense was incredible. Remember they started Steve Fuller at QB for a while that year. Then they lost to the Commanders in 86 and 87. ????

Yeah, I also remember the 44-0 drubbing they gave us. Cover of Sports Illustrated too.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
1973 San Diego Chargers

Johnny Unitas, Deacon Jones, Dan Fouts, Mike Stratton, Walt Sweeney, Russ Washington and more...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
1988 Denver Broncos

Imagine if John Elway could have had Tony Dorsett in his prime the entire 80's run. All he neede was Terrell Davis and he started winning those Super Bowls.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
1972 Dallas Cowboys were not bad.

QB-Roger Staubach/Craig Morton
RB-Walt Garrison/Calvin Hill/Dan Reeves/Robert Newhouse
WR-Lance Alworth/Bullet Bob Hayes
TE-Mike Ditka
OL-John Fitzgerald/Ralph Neely/John Niland/Rayfield Wright/Dave Manders/Blain Nye

DL-Gerogie Andre/Larry Cole/Bob Lilly/Jethro Pugh/Pat Toomey
LB-Chuck Howley/Lee Roy Jordan/D.D. Lewis
DB-Herb Atterley/Benny Barnes/Cornell Green/Cliff Harris/Mel Renfro/Mark Washinton/Charlie Waters

K-Tony Fritsch
P-Marv Bateman

HC-Tom Landry

7 HOF players and several that probably should be. This team was loaded.