Best O-line Combination

cern

Reaction score
Keep in mind that when Collins gets that "big check", the Cowboys will get a significant comp pick the following year. If the contract is big enough, it could be a third round comp pick. Then you would have to weigh what you could get by trading him this year and not having him at all, vs having him this season and letting him leave in free agency next year.
True enough.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
McGovern is too good not to start and he will show you that in camp.

There's a real possibility that Williams moves to RT as early as next season and your swing man could be Mitch Hyatt.
I have that feeling about McGovern as well. May force an issue that they weren't really expecting this year.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I might consider making a trade for a player, if for instance the safety candidates don't step up, but I sure wouldn't do it for some promissory 2020 draft pick that does nothing for the team today.
We are solid at safety IMO. No reason at all to sacrifice depth on the OL; especially considering how depth proved to be beneficial for us last season on the OL.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think that's the lineup the team would most like to have.

My own preference would be Smith-McGovern-Frederick-Martin-Williams, but I think the team would prefer to give the rookie a year to adjust and to give Collins the best opportunity to have a career year and earn that next big contract.

It seems clear Williams will start this year but McGovern will be given every chance to beat him out. Its a good problem to have.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Keep in mind that when Collins gets that "big check", the Cowboys will get a significant comp pick the following year. If the contract is big enough, it could be a third round comp pick. Then you would have to weigh what you could get by trading him this year and not having him at all, vs having him this season and letting him leave in free agency next year.
This is not entirely true. It would depend ENTIRELY on if we also signed Free Agents of similar (or greater) salary and performance.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What 5 make up the best 5if everyone is healthy week 1? I think it is Smith Fred Looney Martin Collins. I could see Looney being traded to a team looking to upgrade or for an injury replacement. If Looney is traded I think Smith McGovern Fred Martin Collins.

Looney is unlikely to net a good enough return to make it worth trading him.

In the unlikely event that it did happen, it would most likely be mid to late in the season.
Both McGovern and C.Willams would both need to be somewhat proven commodities at that point.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What 5 make up the best 5if everyone is healthy week 1? I think it is Smith Fred Looney Martin Collins. I could see Looney being traded to a team looking to upgrade or for an injury replacement. If Looney is traded I think Smith McGovern Fred Martin Collins.
The wildcard is how much if any does Connor Williams practice at OT in the training camp.

I think intelligence is highly valued by the Cowboys in regards to OLinemen.

The Rams OL as a unit out performed their physical talent due to a great ability to execute the Rams non-standard blocking scheme.

Most likely lineup for game 1 of 2019:
T.Smith
C.Williams
T.Frederick
Z.Martin
L.Collins

If the performance of McGovern and C.Williams is close in the preseason, then CW gets the starting spot.
Although, the Cowboys have done it many times, coaches prefer non-rookie OL for game 1.

The best lineup with enough practice time:
T.Smith
L.Collins or maybe McGovern
T.Frederick
Z.Martin
C.Williams

Note:
Physically Collins could be as good at OG as anybody in the league.
His issue is mental (Technique and Mistakes).
Also, he wants to play OT.
He'll be gone after the season as a free agent.

Most likely lineup for 2020:
T.Smith
C.McGovern
T.Frederick
Z.Martin
C.Williams

Other players:
Fleming is a solid game day backup OT; however, the thought of him starting multiple games at LT scares me.

OT Mitch Hyatt (udfa)
Most of the draft media expected him to be drafted.
A four-year starter at Clemson, Hyatt stepped in as the Tigers’ starting left tackle once Isaiah Battle unexpectedly left the team for the 2015 Supplemental Draft, becoming the first Clemson true freshman to start at tackle since 1944 (Phil Prince). Nicknamed “Mr. Dependable” by head coach Dabo Swinney, he leaves the program with the records for career snaps (3,754) and starts (57), missing only one start the last four seasons because he was late to a meeting. Hyatt is a smart, efficient mover, keeping his feet in sync with his upper body to mirror in his pass sets.

OL Brandon Knight
(Broaddus loves him, although that might be a negative)
College RT. Smart player with good feet. Projects to OG/OC (only 6'3-3/4").

Derrick Puni (udfa)
He played at a very small college because he was a TE in High School.
In a pre-draft interview when asked "who is your favorite NFL player?"
Answer: Tyron Smith. I love watching him play.

Adam Redmond (Harvard)

Larry Allen Jr. (Harvard)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not entirely true. It would depend ENTIRELY on if we also signed Free Agents of similar (or greater) salary and performance.

That's another good point. But given the big money contracts of our own we need to take care of, I don't see us being significant players in free agency. How about you?

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
My 5 best would be

Smith
Su’a Filo
Frederick
Martin
Fleming

Conner has a ton of potential but Su’a Filo was clearly better last year.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I think his trade value is higher than what a comp would be. Personally I would see what position we look the weakest at.......I know most will say safety but I want to see it first before just trading for Karl Joseph or something right away..... Then look to move him when injuries hit other teams, or hopefully not the Cowboys which then we keep him.

Another reason I said not just for a safety right away because Jones and Brown contract is up this season and we might need to trade for a corner depending on how Jackson and Westry look.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Easy -- OL's already been predicted many times already by everyone.

Same as last year, except for Connor Williams at LG and Freddy at C.
Next year, McGovern will play LG, with Connor Williams at RT.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I got a feeling this Mcgovern kid is gonna be tough to keep off the field....If they were so high on Conner Williams developing...I don't think they would have selected McGovern...hence he gets the edge.

LT- Smith
LG-McGovern
C-Fred
RG-Martin
RT-Collins

But I do like Xavier Su'a-Filoas well....Make no mistake...I don't think it was a coincidence we won 7 of 8 as soon as he was inserted @ LG in place of Conner Williams.

Another scenerio I could see playing out as well.....

LT-Smith
LG-Xavier Su'a-Filo
C-McGovern
RG-Martin
RT-Collins

Still not sold on Frederick being all the way back...but we will see. Good problems to have. :popcorn:

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
With Looney, Xavier, Williams and McGovern somebody has to go. That’s why I suggested trading Looney even if he is moved you are still deep and if you don’t move him he is gone end of the year. They say Williams has bulked up and gotten stronger I still think he finds his way to RT. I think McGovern will make it hard not to put him on the field. Xavier gave us solid snaps last year. Going to be an interesting battle.

Whoever is advising Collins to want to play RT is dumb as dirt or not paying attention to how probowl guards get paid. I believe Collins could be a top LG and would get paid a lot more than he will as an average RT.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Best for us going forward
Smith - McGovern - Frederick - Martin - C.Williams

That's the future. Anything else is progress stopping for McGovern and Williams. .

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Whoever is advising Collins to want to play RT is dumb as dirt or not paying attention to how probowl guards get paid. I believe Collins could be a top LG and would get paid a lot more than he will as an average RT.

Collins looks like he should be a LG. Looks like he shouldn't be a T. But he plays too upright or LG, while his punch and agility allow him to get away with it at T. He's a weird one.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if Collins is performing well at rt, we should attempt to trade him rather than just see him leave in free agency. he's going to get a big check somewhere. just not here. we have too many other needs in terms or resigning players. and we've drafted wisely just for such a contingency.

That decision should be totally based on the 2019 season.

He won't return enough in a trade to make it worth creating a depth risk for 2019.

The trade compensation has to be compared to the comp pick compensation.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Looney, Xavier, Williams and McGovern somebody has to go. That’s why I suggested trading Looney even if he is moved you are still deep and if you don’t move him he is gone end of the year. They say Williams has bulked up and gotten stronger I still think he finds his way to RT. I think McGovern will make it hard not to put him on the field. Xavier gave us solid snaps last year. Going to be an interesting battle.

Collins looks like he should be a LG. Looks like he shouldn't be a T. But he plays too upright or LG, while his punch and agility allow him to get away with it at T. He's a weird one.

Collins does project better at OG than at RT.

However, for the Cowboys in 2019 Collins at RT is better than Fleming.

We have no idea how Connor Williams will look at OT in the NFL.

"On Paper" C.Williams is an OT and Collins is an OG.
C.Willams: Quick feet, needs more power.
Collins: Very powerful, needs quicker feet.​

The one caveat on Collins is that he might be bit of a "slow processor" mentally and inside OL positions are a bit more complicated than OT.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Best for the future of the team if it were to shake out like this in camp:
Tyron-McGovern-Fred-Martin-Willians

Most likely
Tyron-Williams-Fred-Martin-Collins