Best of the Worst in 2005! Who's Next in 2006?

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Everyone knows that the basement does Not necessarily denote the worse team. I wonder which of the 6 teams will once again grace the basement in 2006. Here's a Look at the 2005 NFL Basement Teams and their respective QBs ...

AFC- East - New York Jets 4 - 12 (Chad Pennington & Vinny TestaVerde)
AFC- North - Cleveland Brown 6 - 10 (Charlie Frye)
AFC - South - Houston Texans 2-14 (David Carr)
AFC - West - Oakland Raiders 4-12 (Aaron Brooks?)

NFC - East - Philadelphia Eagles 6-10 (Donovan McNabb)
NFC - North - Green Bay Packers 4-12 (Brett Farve)
NFC - South - NO Saints 3-13 (Todd Bouman?)
NFC - West San Francisco 49ers 4-12 (Trent Dilfer)

Will the Basement teams remain the same or will they change?

BTW the 9-7 teams were just a few games from the basement. Meet them

Minnesota
San Diego
Miami
Dallas

Will any of these teams enter the "basement" in 2006?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The only basement team that I think has a chance to win their division in 2006 is the Eagles. I simply do not count them down and out yet. A lot of injuries and distractions in 2005. They had a good Free Agency period and a great draft.

The Saints, Packers, and 49ers could be better, but I think only Green Bay moves up significantly. Again, injuries in 2005.

In the AFC the Jets are terrible despite the best Draft in 2006. Oakland is a "Shell" of their former excellence. Cleveland and Houston aren't anywhere close to ready.

Star Struck

Reaction score
Hostile said:
The only basement team that I think has a chance to win their division in 2006 is the Eagles. I simply do not count them down and out yet.

You're right about that. We can't count them out no matter what happened to them last season. They have a good coaching staff that has proven their ability to turn a team around in a short period of time...

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
BTW the 9-7 teams were just a few games from the basement. Meet them

Minnesota
San Diego
Miami
Dallas

Will any of these teams enter the "basement" in 2006?

To answer this question? Yes...

The Dallas Cowboys...or what is know as "America's Team" will end up in the basement....

Shining another wonderful Lombardi...

:lombardi: (soon to be six)

:trophy:

:hammock:

Life is so sweet...I need not question where the mighty Dallas Cowboys are going...

:star:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phoenix-Talon said:
A thread about the last place teams in each division? Man the offseason can't end soon enough.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
By shining (SIC) do you mean polishing?:rolleyes:

Maybe...I never said I could spell, did I? :rolleyes:

Who knows...maybe the Green Slime Birds will be shining up a trophy...FOR THE FIRST TIME! :lmao:

Ya just never know...about the game of football....

:star:

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Hostile said:
...Packers, ...could be better, but I think only Green Bay moves up significantly. Again, injuries in 2005.

I'm actually concerned abOut GB. They had plenty of distractions in the preseason with Javon Walker (he's gone), and the uncertainty of whether Brett Farve would remain for an additional year. They still have One good WR-playmaker, but the question in everyone's mind is ...did Farve make the right decision?!

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
A thread about the last place teams in each division? Man the offseason can't end soon enough.

I know ...and I partially agree. But thought it would be interesting to look at some of the contrasts, and run a "who's who in the basement" tread.

You've got to admit, some of those teams were healthy and still had a terrible season. And to top it all off, I don't think some of those teams did anything signidficant to modify/strengthen those weak positions.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
You guys have got to learn how to use the quote function. My gosh it isn't that hard.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
5Stars said:
Maybe...I never said I could spell, did I? :rolleyes:

Oh ...you thought I was being critical of your spelling abilities. Au Contrar, mon frar! I was seeking clarification to the term "shining." Oh well, the cats out the bag now! Se' La Viv!

Who knows...maybe the Green Slime Birds will be shining up a trophy

I've got this one ...you're saying that "maybe" the Eagles will polish a trophy of their own one day, like the dust that's accumulating on those you have ?!

Ya just never know...about the game of football....

You got that one right anyway!

ghst187

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Everyone knows that the basement does Not necessarily denote the worse team. I wonder which of the 6 teams will once again grace the basement in 2006. Here's a Look at the 2005 NFL Basement Teams and their respective QBs ...

AFC- East - New York Jets 4 - 12 (Chad Pennington
AFC- North - Cleveland Brown 6 - 10 (Charlie Frye)
AFC - South - Houston Texans 2-14 (David Carr)
AFC - West - Oakland Raiders 4-12 (Aaron Brooks?)
NFC - East - Philadelphia Eagles 6-10 (Donovan McNabb)
NFC - North - Green Bay Packers 4-12 (Brett Farve)
NFC - South - NO Saints 3-13 (Todd Bouman?)
NFC - West San Francisco 49ers 4-12 (Trent Dilfer)

The Texans, Cardinals, Saints, and Browns will remain in the toilet because they are garbage franchises and always will be. The Cardinals oddly though, have some great talent but their curse will overcome that.
The Raiders, 49ers, and Packers will have another toilet season because the Raiders are too old and the 49ers and Packers have little talent.

I wouldn't say finishing last in the NFC east means you are in the toilet.
The Iggles could finish last in the NFC east again and still be a top 12 or 13 team. The iggles are pretty talented and although they can never win a championship (had to get a shot in there), there are FAR above any of these other cellar dwellars.

And frankly, what is the point of keeping the Saints, Texans, and Browns around as franchises? What a waste and dillution of league talent. :laugh1:

fortdick

Reaction score
Hostile said:
The only basement team that I think has a chance to win their division in 2006 is the Eagles. I

That is what Talon was fishng for. You made his day.

Now just tell him that McFlabb is the best QB in the NFC!

:laugh1:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
fortdick said:

:laugh1:
He is until Eli takes it away from him or the Commanders or Cowboys develop someone better.

notherbob

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
I'm actually concerned abOut GB. They had plenty of distractions in the preseason with Javon Walker (he's gone), and the uncertainty of whether Brett Farve would remain for an additional year. They still have One good WR-playmaker, but the question in everyone's mind is ...did Farve make the right decision?!

As much as I like and respect Favre, if coming back for another year were the right decision, I think he would have made it early on and with enthusiasm. He is now a lame duck QB on a team that doesn't seem to be going anywhere and is probably hanging on for the money and his legacy, not because his heart is in it - as it would be if the team had a real chance.

I think GB is going back into the nether regions they had inhabited in the post-Lombardi years until the Holmgren/Favre era. Titletown is great history but cannot compete well against big money teams and I think it will founder. If the Packers had a single owner rather than being publicly held, they would have "packed up" and moved to LA long ago. Since Green Bay basically owns them, they aren't going anywhere, one way or another. They better get used to losing records because that's where I think they are headed, um, in fact, they have already arrived.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
fortdick said:

No ...Talon wasn't fishing! Talon was merely asking about basement teams. That was your vivid imagination that prduced that conspiracy-laden response.

Let's just say that he's just as capable as anyone in the NFCE to take his team to a championship.