Best. Pizza. Ever.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
So I love to cook. I decided tonight that I would make a pizza. I have made one or two, but I decided to try one without any sort of recipe. It was, quite literally, the best pizza I have ever eaten.

I went to Whole Foods to get the ingredients, thought I would whip up a quick recipe for those of you who do not match my excuisite culinary artistry. :D

Ingredients:

Flat bread (pita would work nicely) for crust
1 can tomato sauce
1 Can Tomato Paste
1 white onion
fresh basil
fresh rosemary
fresh thyme
fresh oregano
sun dried tomatoes
one clove garlic
salt
pepper
copa ham
prosciutto
fresh mozzeralla
fresh asiago
fresh parmesan
crushed red pepper
mushrooms
extra virgin olive oil

(Note - I didn't measure. I winged how much I wanted. Use your heads, this isn't baking)

Mix tomato sauce, paste. Chop 4 basil leaves, one stem of oregano leaves (not the stem itself), 1 stem of rosemary, thyme to taste. Mix into sauce. Add salt, pepper, red pepper to taste. Crush one garlic clove, mix in.

Caramelize onions in skillet with EVOO. Add mushrooms near completion, until wilted. Grade one chunk mozzerella, a bit of parmesan and asiago to taste. Spread a VERY LIGHT amount of olive oil on crust, followed by a thin layer of tomato sauce. Add onions/mushrooms. Pinch of salt. Add sundried tomatoes, prosciutto, and copa. Place a healthy layer of cheese onto pizza. Place in 450 degree preheated oven for 5-6 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Remove, garnish with more tomatoes, chopped basil. Add pinch of salt. Friggin enjoy my masterpiece.

Seriously - the best pizza I have ever eaten. I am very smug right now.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
I also had pizza last night.

Pizza Hut...Thin crust, extra sauce, extra cheese, with pepperoni and mushrooms.

It was also the bomb. And a lot less effort. :)

k19

Reaction score
Better then Joes Pizza off Collins and 20?????????

Man I miss that place. Anytime you walk into a pizza place and hear a bunch of people speaking Italian behind the counter ya know its good.

Oh and now I'm hungry for pizza from Joes. Its 9am and I'm in GA. Thanks CR

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DANTHEMAN said:
I also had pizza last night.

Pizza Hut...Thin crust, extra sauce, extra cheese, with pepperoni and mushrooms.

It was also the bomb. And a lot less effort. :)
Homemade pizza is better than pizza hut. Even the Totino's cheese w/some fresh pepperoni (turkey for me) is better than pizza hut and I like Totino's.

k19

Reaction score
We make our own Pizza, I make my own sauce basically from scratch and everything. I even found an Italian Market in Tampa (3 hours away) that makes their own Italian Sausage. We started going there when the wife had her first cancer surgey in January. Its nice to go someplace down here and find things that remind you of home. The joys of being Italian :D

Grrrrrrrrrr Its too early to be this hungry. Now I'm wanting a meatball pizza.

Screw dis I'm off for my morning white chocolate mocha and a scone

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
k19 said:
We make our own Pizza, I make my own sauce basically from scratch and everything. I even found an Italian Market in Tampa (3 hours away) that makes their own Italian Sausage. We started going there when the wife had her first cancer surgey in January. Its nice to go someplace down here and find things that remind you of home. The joys of being Italian :D

Grrrrrrrrrr Its too early to be this hungry. Now I'm wanting a meatball pizza.

Screw dis I'm off for my morning white chocolate mocha and a scone
I actually make my own sauce occasionally. I wouldn't say from scratch like mashing fresh tomatoes, but I can hook it up using a couple cans.

There's this Italian coffee shop downstairs. I'm about to hit them up for a soy grande mocha. I've already had chik fil-a for breakfast, but I still need that extra boost. They've weaned me off Starbucks.

NYCowboy22

Reaction score
If any of you guys are ever in the Queens area in New York, stop by New Park Pizzeria. Guaranteed best pizza you will ever have. There are no chain Pizzerias by me, they are all privately owned by real Italians who know how to make em.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NYCowboy22 said:
If any of you guys are ever in the Queens area in New York, stop by New Park Pizzeria. Guaranteed best pizza you will ever have. There are no chain Pizzerias by me, they are all privately owned by real Italians who know how to make em.
Funny that sounds like that Pace commercial. "Pace picante sauce, made in San Antonio, by folks who knows what picante is supposed to taste like.":D

I haven't been to NY, but I will and when I do, I'll check it out.

But I have had pizza in Chicago. I luv Chicago pizza. I'm gonna have to go up there this summer for the Taste of Chicago.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Hey all of you Dallas-ites, Dallas-onians,.... People from the Metroplex.
Anyone from around Irving?

When I was younger I lived in Irving not too far from Texas Stadium. There was a Pizza place that I used to like not far from me on Grauwyler. I believe it was called Nemo's.

Does anyone know of that place? Is it still there?

k19

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
I actually make my own sauce occasionally. I wouldn't say from scratch like mashing fresh tomatoes, but I can hook it up using a couple cans.

There's this Italian coffee shop downstairs. I'm about to hit them up for a soy grande mocha. I've already had chik fil-a for breakfast, but I still need that extra boost. They've weaned me off Starbucks.

At least you HAVE a Starbucks to be weaned from. We have a small coffee shopdown the street from our house thats opened a place at the base exchange. Now when I need a fix I just make a run over there. Kinda nice when people recognize ya and don't really have to ask what ya want. I guess I gave up my smokes for my coffee habit :D

I really need to get out of smallsville. I've been spoiled when it comes to food I guess. Being part Italain spoiled me on Italian food. Living in the NE spoiled me for seafood. Living in San Antonio spoiled me for Mexican food. Being overseas hooked me on Real German food and European cooking. Here their idea of a great seafood place is red lobster. Italian is Fazolis or CC Pizza and they don't even have an Olive Garden becuase of the Blue Law :banghead: I swear this place needs culture. Can we say my own personal hell

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Homemade pizza is better than pizza hut. Even the Totino's cheese w/some fresh pepperoni (turkey for me) is better than pizza hut and I like Totino's.
I'd rather eat cardboard than a frozen pizza

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
So I love to cook. I decided tonight that I would make a pizza. I have made one or two, but I decided to try one without any sort of recipe. It was, quite literally, the best pizza I have ever eaten.

I went to Whole Foods to get the ingredients, thought I would whip up a quick recipe for those of you who do not match my excuisite culinary artistry. :D

Ingredients:

Flat bread (pita would work nicely) for crust
1 can tomato sauce
1 Can Tomato Paste
1 white onion
fresh basil
fresh rosemary
fresh thyme
fresh oregano
sun dried tomatoes
one clove garlic
salt
pepper
copa ham
prosciutto
fresh mozzeralla
fresh asiago
fresh parmesan
crushed red pepper
mushrooms
extra virgin olive oil

(Note - I didn't measure. I winged how much I wanted. Use your heads, this isn't baking)

Mix tomato sauce, paste. Chop 4 basil leaves, one stem of oregano leaves (not the stem itself), 1 stem of rosemary, thyme to taste. Mix into sauce. Add salt, pepper, red pepper to taste. Crush one garlic clove, mix in.

Caramelize onions in skillet with EVOO. Add mushrooms near completion, until wilted. Grade one chunk mozzerella, a bit of parmesan and asiago to taste. Spread a VERY LIGHT amount of olive oil on crust, followed by a thin layer of tomato sauce. Add onions/mushrooms. Pinch of salt. Add sundried tomatoes, prosciutto, and copa. Place a healthy layer of cheese onto pizza. Place in 450 degree preheated oven for 5-6 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Remove, garnish with more tomatoes, chopped basil. Add pinch of salt. Friggin enjoy my masterpiece.

Seriously - the best pizza I have ever eaten. I am very smug right now.

CR...I think I'm going to experiment with your methods. It's pure coincidence, but I made my famous homemade Pizza last night too. No joke! I learned my Pizza/Calzone techniques from working at an authentic Italian Pizzeria when I was in HS. I know how you feel when you say you are "smug" right now!! LOL!!

I will say that I am most proud of 'my' world famous Calzone. I make my own dough and fill it with the specific ingredients someone wants. I put bell pepper, sausage, pepperoni, hamburger, onion, and a huge helping of mozzeralla in mine. Some people just like cheese and pepperoni. Doesn't matter to me! Once baked, you have a choice of having your Calzone drenched in garlic butter, my secret recipe spagetti sauce, both, or 1/2 and 1/2.

Here's a link to a picture of one with just garlic butter on it.

http://members.aol.com/wafflerock/Mvc-022f.jpg

Good stuff!! MMMM!!

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
k19 said:
At least you HAVE a Starbucks to be weaned from. We have a small coffee shopdown the street from our house thats opened a place at the base exchange. Now when I need a fix I just make a run over there. Kinda nice when people recognize ya and don't really have to ask what ya want. I guess I gave up my smokes for my coffee habit :D

I really need to get out of smallsville. I've been spoiled when it comes to food I guess. Being part Italain spoiled me on Italian food. Living in the NE spoiled me for seafood. Living in San Antonio spoiled me for Mexican food. Being overseas hooked me on Real German food and European cooking. Here their idea of a great seafood place is red lobster. Italian is Fazolis or CC Pizza and they don't even have an Olive Garden becuase of the Blue Law :banghead: I swear this place needs culture. Can we say my own personal hell

I work for Starbucks. 80% of my customers, I know their drinks. Often I have it ready for them when they walk in. Once again, I own.

As for food, I feel for you. One of my greatest loves is cuisine (you don't get to be this hefty by eating crackers). I am joining the military, and already expect withdrawals from good food.

As for german cuisine - in HS I spent 10 days there - beautiful place. Great food. When I got back, I started learning their food. I have a perfect recipe for weinerschnitzel and cream sauce that you might be interested in....lemme know..

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Waffle said:
CR...I think I'm going to experiment with your methods. It's pure coincidence, but I made my famous homemade Pizza last night too. No joke! I learned my Pizza/Calzone techniques from working at an authentic Italian Pizzeria when I was in HS. I know how you feel when you say you are "smug" right now!! LOL!!

I will say that I am most proud of 'my' world famous Calzone. I make my own dough and fill it with the specific ingredients someone wants. I put bell pepper, sausage, pepperoni, hamburger, onion, and a huge helping of mozzeralla in mine. Some people just like cheese and pepperoni. Doesn't matter to me! Once baked, you have a choice of having your Calzone drenched in garlic butter, my secret recipe spagetti sauce, both, or 1/2 and 1/2.

Here's a link to a picture of one with just garlic butter on it.

http://members.aol.com/wafflerock/Mvc-022f.jpg

Good stuff!! MMMM!!

That looks absolutely gorgeous.

I've not made my own dough yet - I am not a big fan of baking. I don't disalike it, but when I can cut a corner with a good peace of bread (not that nasty store bought crust, but a nice flat bread, pita, or even ciabatta for a pizza style bruschetta) I am more than happy.

On the other hand, to truly enhance my craft, I think I oughta work on baking. I would like to experiment with yeastless or low rising crusts - I like the thin and crispy stuff...

k19

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I work for Starbucks. 80% of my customers, I know their drinks. Often I have it ready for them when they walk in. Once again, I own.

As for food, I feel for you. One of my greatest loves is cuisine (you don't get to be this hefty by eating crackers). I am joining the military, and already expect withdrawals from good food.

As for german cuisine - in HS I spent 10 days there - beautiful place. Great food. When I got back, I started learning their food. I have a perfect recipe for weinerschnitzel and cream sauce that you might be interested in....lemme know..

I'll give ya a yell next time I am home, which should be in a few weeks before the wife has her next surgery. Tell ya what you hook me up with coffee and I'll take ya to Joes for Pizza :D

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
That looks absolutely gorgeous.

I've not made my own dough yet - I am not a big fan of baking. I don't disalike it, but when I can cut a corner with a good peace of bread (not that nasty store bought crust, but a nice flat bread, pita, or even ciabatta for a pizza style bruschetta) I am more than happy.

On the other hand, to truly enhance my craft, I think I oughta work on baking. I would like to experiment with yeastless or low rising crusts - I like the thin and crispy stuff...

I'm not a big kitchen guy really at all. I just love making pizzas and calzones. The making dough part is fun, although I see the benefit in the flat bread. I am a huge fan of pita! I might try that myself next time.

Basically for dough, I use my breadmaker and mix in flour / beer / water /salt / sugar /oil and yeast. I try to let it rise twice and then put in the fridge overnight. Like you, I love my pizzas with thin, crispy crusts.

BTW, thanks for serving our country in the military. My dad is retired USAF and I have a great deal of respect for those who serve in our armed forces!! Good luck!