Best Player or Need at this juncture

Macnalty

Reaction score
Questions from the masses for 17 take best player or need?
Four or five QB's should go before our pick.
I believe Cyrus Kouandjio could be there. I believe Taylor Lewan could be there. At wide receiver I think Mike Evans and Marquise Lee could be there. I believe Kony Ealy from Missouri should be there.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
We need to continue to stockpile picks. We didn't really 'stockpile' picks last year, but we traded down and reaped the rewards for it. I would take Travis Frederick and Terrence Williams over Eric Reid (who I like) or Sharrif Floyd any day of the week.

But, it's not only about making quality picks, it's about acquiring more talent given the injury rate in the NFL and how it affects players' careers. Furthermore, it keeps the veterans hungry if you can provide a rookie who is legitimately contending for their starting position.

To me, the team getting away from the Jimmy draft philosophy of stockpiling picks has been the largest reason for the team's lack of success since Jimmy left. And I still don't know why Jerry changed from the philosophy. If you have 12 picks in a draft and 8 of them are busts, but 4 of them are Pro-Bowlers, generally all people remember is the 4 Pro Bowlers. Tom Brady is a good example as the draft class he was in for the Patriots was otherwise a complete disaster.

YR

Macnalty

Reaction score
We need to continue to stockpile picks. We didn't really 'stockpile' picks last year, but we traded down and reaped the rewards for it. I would take Travis Frederick and Terrence Williams over Eric Reid (who I like) or Sharrif Floyd any day of the week.

But, it's not only about making quality picks, it's about acquiring more talent given the injury rate in the NFL and how it affects players' careers. Furthermore, it keeps the veterans hungry if you can provide a rookie who is legitimately contending for their starting position.

To me, the team getting away from the Jimmy draft philosophy of stockpiling picks has been the largest reason for the team's lack of success since Jimmy left. And I still don't know why Jerry changed from the philosophy. If you have 12 picks in a draft and 8 of them are busts, but 4 of them are Pro-Bowlers, generally all people remember is the 4 Pro Bowlers. Tom Brady is a good example as the draft class he was in for the Patriots was otherwise a complete disaster.

YR

I am in agreement with you on this point in this years draft, each year is independent IMO. Make no mistake the cowboys had no idea that Frederick was going to be as good as he exhibited in 2013.
Two sure pics for first rd and clearly talented at another level, this year Clowney and Watkins IMO the rest of the first round IMO are about equal so your argument applies this year.

Boys122

Reaction score
I know we need to build the trenches and a safety or two, but the best prospect available at 16 or 17 we should take'm regardless. Then again with Jerry you just might see a trade down. Trading up isn't an option with as many holes on this team.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If we stay put and all those five guys are still available, I'm taking Ealy. No doubt about it.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Forget need and go best player. From your list, I would go with Kuandjio. I could see a trade down and picking up Lewan later. Or more likely a trade down even further and taking Baylor OG Cyril Richardson. I'm not high on Ealy at 16 or 17. I have seen numerous mocks having him in the second round. I think LSU WRs Beckam and Landry will be as good or maybe even better than Evans and Lee and available in the 2nd (Odell) and 3rd (Landry).

I highly doubt it would happen, but if for some reason Sammy Watkins slid to 16 or 17, I would run to the podium with the pick. One can dream. I didn't think Dez would have slid so far either but he did.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe Cyrus Kouandjio could be there. I believe Taylor Lewan could be there. At wide receiver I think Mike Evans and Marquise Lee could be there. I believe Kony Ealy from Missouri should be there.

They rank them by tiers. They should take need within the tier. If Kouandjio and Lewan were in the same tier, I would go with Kouandjio because he could play Guard as a rookie but I don't think that would be an option with Lewan. Kouandjio would also be a better fit at RG, IMO, than Lewan.

I would probably trade down if possible.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If those guys are still there...trade down a few spots and you still get a good player.
I agree with others, this year we COULD be best served to trade down a few spots as we have so many needs.
However with that said...we don't need Jerry trying to get cute and keep trading down and winding up with the Special Teams draft like we had a few years back.

Of course it takes someone willing to trade up for it to happen.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Sounds like we all agree the brass rings are all gone at 16/17 better to collect more picks for similar talent later in the draft. Ealy from what I have read in internet land is securely in the second rd from most drafters I have not seen any film on him. Last year I was high on Sheldon Richardson and from general reading there does not seem to be that talent(3 technique) available in this draft.
What I willl comment on is Wr from USC Marquise Lee as a Freshman clearly played better than Keenan Allen when they played together, if that gives you any pause. I have high hopes for a rookie Olineman this year to right the ship and contribute physically. It is beginning to look like we are going to be praying Marinelli can continue to coach up some lesser talented players for the Dline to improve.

mickswag

Reaction score
BPA over need. I like Ealy there. Maybe we can even trade down a couple spots and still grab a great player, maybe even Ealy.