Best Quality of Depth Albums

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not about your favorite artist or even album but the one you regard as the deepest at quality.

Some will have filler and even old unused tracks from previous albums to flesh out the LP before there was such a thing as the EP. But there are some that are special, so deep you found better tracks than the ones played as singles.

Compilations and greatest hits albums don't count and 2 per customer per category, please. Single album and double album are the two categories.

If you list 10 albums, that's not your best, that's your bunch of albums, select your best based on the depth of quality tracks on it and if you want to base the # of hits off it, that's fine and that will bring some Beatles albums into play for sure.

My candidates for the single category are:

Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Who's Next - The Who

Double

Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

OK, you're up. Mine are in the Classic Rock era but you can select any you like.

Note: The over/under on Elvis albums by one well known poster is 3 and I am taking the over.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is not about your favorite artist or even album but the one you regard as the deepest at quality.

Some will have filler and even old unused tracks from previous albums to flesh out the LP before there was such a thing as the EP. But there are some that are special, so deep you found better tracks than the ones played as singles.

Compilations and greatest hits albums don't count and 2 per customer per category, please. Single album and double album are the two categories.

If you list 10 albums, that's not your best, that's your bunch of albums, select your best based on the depth of quality tracks on it and if you want to base the # of hits off it, that's fine and that will bring some Beatles albums into play for sure.

My candidates for the single category are:

Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Who's Next - The Who

Double

Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

OK, you're up. Mine are in the Classic Rock era but you can select any you like.

Note: The over/under on Elvis albums by one well known poster is 3 and I am taking the over.
Funny, my first thought while reading was Aqualung....so I guess I should stick with it.

Next would have to be Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Double Albums:
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Just One Night - Eric Clapton (Unless live albums are excluded)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny, my first thought while reading was Aqualung....so I guess I should stick with it.

Next would have to be Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Double Albums:
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Just One Night - Eric Clapton (Unless live albums are excluded)
Well, live albums are usually of the greatest hits variety but we can add live albums since we just got started and if this is like most of my threads, coming to a quick end soon. So, you can have that as your live and add another double.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, live albums are usually of the greatest hits variety but we can add live albums since we just got started and if this is like most of my threads, coming to a quick end soon. So, you can have that as your live and add another double.
Okay then, Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I & II........and if you consider those two separate albums, I guess I have to only have one studio double album.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Best based on the depth of quality tracks?

Electric - The Cult
Love - The Cult
The Doors 1967 (debut album)
L.A. Woman - The Doors
Morrison Hotel - The Doors
(Morrison Hotel photographer Henry Diltz on album cover shoot.)

cowboyec

Reaction score
•From Elvis In Memphis...1969...american studios in memphis.
ask any Elvis fan what his greatest album was/is...this one is most likely the answer you will receive.
the sessions were very disciplined and structured...chips moman as producer.
the memphis players were the best group Elvis had recorded with up to this point in his career.
the songs thru out these sessions were all well written.
but it was Elvis...his level of committment...the depth of his musical soul laid bare and the quality and richness of his voice...that win the day.
this 12 track lp would not include suspicious minds,kentucky rain or don't cry daddy.
in the ghetto would close the album.
but the others are among his best.
including...
~wearin' that loved on look...opening cut
~only the strong survive
~long black limosuine...albums best non single
~i'll hold you in my heart (til i can hold you in my arms)
~power of my love
~true love travels on a gravel road
~any day now...b-side to in the ghetto
if you've spun it...you already know.

•Elvis Country...1971...recorded in june of '70 at the nashville marathon.
Elvis by now had cemented his comeback and returned triumphantly to live performances.
so in the summer he returns to nashville to lay down some singles and enough material for 3 albums...the 2nd...Elvis Country...released in '71...has stood the test of time as one of his best ever...the only real rival to from Elvis in memphis.
the songs ran thru Elvis' musical taste.
but he seemed drawn to country...thus this lp was born.
as Elvis can be heard saying on the session tapes...it dont have to be straight country.
it wasn't.
there is a looseness and freedom at the marathon sessions that were not in memphis.
Elvis was in charge....free jammin' and alive again.
everyone in the studio....together..."live".
some of his best music.
and backed by...in my opinion...the best session group he would ever play with...along with his favorite guitarist James Burton.
this 12 track masterpiece of brilliance would have the song...i was born 10,000yrs ago played between cuts...running thru the album like a link.
stand alones include some of his most heartfelt,brilliant vocals ever recorded...
~i really don't want to know...one of his very best vocal performances on any studio cut.
~funny how time slips away...one of his most beautiful vocals and james burton's best pick'n.
~the fool
~faded love
~there goes my everything
~i washed my hands in muddy water
~tomorrow never comes
~whole lotta shakin goin on...recorded in sept...and arguably the wildest thing he ever recorded...the first time there was a "hint" that something was wrong...or "off".
~make the world go away...closing emotional track
just a beautiful brilliant album.

LIVE:
•as recorded at madison square garden...june 1972...evening concert...the 3rd of 4 consecutive sell-outs at the garden.
in my opinion it is his best live album.
he never sounded better.
he was nervous and had a challenge and that always brought out his A game.
he and the tcb band by now were well in sync and on record...never sounded better.
the show stopper...an american trilogy.
some others...
~never been to spain
~proud mary
~polk salad annie
~for the good times
~hound dog...re-worked
~i cant stop loving you
~the impossible dream
~suspicious minds
brilliant album.

•aloha from hawaii-via satellite.....recorded jan 1973....his single greatest concert.
its better visually(on dvd) but the album...a double...is spectacular.
almost every cut brought down the house.
the best include...
~burning love
~something
~you gave me a mountain
~steamroller
~its over
~what now my love
~welcome to my world
~im so lonesome i could cry
~i'll remember you
~suspicious minds
~an american trilogy...the best performance of this show stopper.
his zenith.

Double Albums:
to combat the many bootlegg releases...EP Enterprises created Follow That Dream...a collectors label...to release a treasure chest of studio cuts and unreleased concerts.
im gonna focus on 2 of the best releases featuring studio recordings.
•Elvis Is Back...his 1st session in 1960...and one of his best albums.
amazingly not included in the original 12 track lp were its now or never,are you lonesome tonight,stuck on you or fame and fortune.
on this release...you get the original 12 track album and alternate studio tracks...plus the hit singles.
for die hards only...but its incredible to hear him labor thru take after take of these great songs.
~make me know it
~solider boy
~the girl of my best friend
~girl next door went'a walkin
~dirty,dirty feeling
~such a night
~reconsider baby
and the bonus of alternate recordings of the hit singles.
must have for any Elvis collector.
released in both CD and vinyl.
i prefer the vinyl.

•The Jungle Room Sessions...in '76...Elvis would conduct what would be his last recording session....in the jungle room...@graceland.
2 albums...from ep blvd and moody blue...would come from these sessions.
some great singles...hurt,for the heart,moody blue,way down...would be released.
the songs were dark...fitting his mood...and have a strong country flavor.
but the fact he is recording in his beloved home brings something "different" to the session tapes.
he is much more at ease and relaxed.
some of the best tracks include...
~i'll never fall in love again
~solitare
~danny boy
~pledging my love
~she thinks i still care
~he'll have to go
~blue eyes crying in the rain
whats missing is Elvis' first attempt at a studio version of america the beautiful.
apparently his band....the same group he had been cris-crossing the country with...one of the few times they would record together in the studio...didnt know what he was talking about.
they had been doing the song live since '75.
but didnt know what he meant when he said..."America.........America damn it".
one take was laid down...deemed un-usable...and sadly...recorded over.
but what was left was well worth the listen.

:bow:E:bow:L:bow:V:bow:I:bow:S

cowboyec

Reaction score

elvis is back...ftd release.
its now or never...alt take(take 2)

Creeper

Reaction score
There are a few I can think of.

The Beatles "White album".
Pearly Jam "10"
The Eagles "Hotel California"
Moody Blue "Days of Future Past"
Nirvana "In Utero"
Santana "Abraxas" - Oh, man. In my car, on my 8 track, cruising Washington street in Hoboken, NJ, on our way to Douglas College (all girls school back then) on a Friday night!
Mountain "Climbing!"

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Okay then, Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I & II........and if you consider those two separate albums, I guess I have to only have one studio double album.
Always favored these over Appetite. Very diverse, and the deep tracks are some of my favorites Guns songs

Bad Obsession and Dust and Bones should have put on the radio