Best R&B/Soul 1970's

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I'd never put the Doors in the R&B/Soul category.

Why? Crawling King Snake is a blues song. Jim could sing blues, rhythm & blues, etc. Kreiger played guitar (rhythm), Manzerick the organ (blues). Duh. You telling me Morrison didn't have soul when singing? Look past skin color.

"Crawling King Snake" (alternatively "Crawlin' King Snake" or "Crawling/Crawlin' Kingsnake") is a blues song that has been recorded by numerous blues and other artists. It is believed to have originated as a Delta blues in the 1920s and be related to earlier songs, such as "Black Snake Blues" by Victoria Spivey and "Black Snake Moan" by Blind Lemon Jefferson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawling_King_Snake

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why? Crawling King Snake is a blues song. Jim could sing blues, rhythm & blues, etc. Kreiger played guitar (rhythm), Manzerick the organ (blues). Duh. You telling me Morrison didn't have soul when singing? Look past skin color.

"Crawling King Snake" (alternatively "Crawlin' King Snake" or "Crawling/Crawlin' Kingsnake") is a blues song that has been recorded by numerous blues and other artists. It is believed to have originated as a Delta blues in the 1920s and be related to earlier songs, such as "Black Snake Blues" by Victoria Spivey and "Black Snake Moan" by Blind Lemon Jefferson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawling_King_Snake
Blues isn't the same as R&B/Soul though. We're talking more about Motown type music.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not consider the 70's to be the age of R&B/Soul, it was the birth of Funk and the slap bass. The 60's were more about that sweet soul music with Atlantic, Chess, Epic, Motown and Stax.

James Brown, Otis Redding, Little Milton, Sam & Dave and Aretha formed that music that was only defined as Soul. The Four Tops, Temptations, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye and Supremes founded what would be known as Blue Eyed Soul. It continued through the 70's but that wasn't it's shining glory because it became influenced by rock and out of necessity Funk was born.

cowboyec

Reaction score
1973...stax....If You Don't Come Back...Elvis...from his Raised On Rock LP...which shoulda been Raised On Blues.

Just A Little Bit...also from the stax sessions in '73.

Find Out Whats Happnin'...3rd in the trilogy of R&B.

I've Got A Feelin' In My Body...from EPs Good Times LP...a fusion of Gospel with heavy R&B feel from stax.

If You Talk In Your Sleep.....from his 3rd stax LP Promised Land...one of his greatest songs and a top 40 hit....Elvis was so at home with the music he loved and grew up on.

quickccc

Reaction score
Between the Sheets- Isley Brothers
For the Love of You - Isley Brothers

I Want Your Love - Chic
Dance-dance yowsaw - Chic
Good times - chic

Shaft Theme- issac hayes
Rock With You - Michael Jackson
Who's That Lady - The Isley Brothers

Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now - McFadden and Whitehead

Wake Up Everybody - Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes