Best Tamales in San Antonio?

ologan

Reaction score
I'll be taking my swing thru Texas in the next couple of weeks,and will spend some time in where I truly call home,San Antonio. I normally stock up on tamales at Rubens Tamales on Rigsby. (10-15 dozen at a time),and break them down to half dozens,shrink seal 'em,and freeze them for the coming year. I ate my last half dozen last night,smothered in my homemade pico de gallo,and restocking isn't coming a minute too soon. I like Rubens,but last year they didn't have any of the Jalapeno tamales. I had to settle for pork,which ain't bad. Does anybody from SA know of any other or better tamale houses that aren't too darn expensive?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Funny thing. When I lived in Texas. The best tamales I ever ate came from the guys working in the warehouse. Their wife would make a bunch of them and they would bring them to work and sell them for $5 a dozen about once a month.

They were freaking awesome.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4371641 said:
Funny thing. When I lived in Texas. The best tamales I ever ate came from the guys working in the warehouse. Their wife would make a bunch of them and they would bring them to work and sell them for $5 a dozen about once a month.

They were freaking awesome.

At Christmas we always had tamales from some woman my grandma knew. They are always best when they are homemade.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Tellez Tamales on South General McMullen Dr... that's off 90 towards Lackland AFB...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Go to the Downtowner Hotel, just around the block from the Alamo, and ask for Ramone.

Just kidding...Don't even know if the downtowner is even there anymore. :laugh2:

StevenOtero

Reaction score
Cythim;4371679 said:
At Christmas we always had tamales from some woman my grandma knew. They are always best when they are homemade.
A Christmas tradition in my family!

ologan

Reaction score
StevenOtero;4371705 said:
A Christmas tradition in my family!

The "Tamalada" is a Christmas tradition in many,many mexican homes.