Best teams since 1996 Ranking

Blitzen

Reaction score
Please just stick to the topic at hand. This can maybe not result in a put down thread based on which team or players you deem better. Give detailed rationale please.

1. 2014 Squad. Romo had already endured so many injuries when the league still allowed the ole land on the QB with all your weight. He had definitely mastered the offense and had a true elite rushing attack. Most opponents could not stop the rushing attack. The road game against the Seahawks demonstrated how vulnerable the Legion of Boom (and Dan Quinn’s defense) was to power running. Playaction devastated opponents when they tried loading the box. If Demarco Murray does not fumble in Green Bay, I’m not sure the Dez catch is a thing. That game was definitely a toss up-both offenses were dominant. Not sure what happens if they had advanced against Seattle, but I would have liked their chances against New England that particular year.

2. 2016 Squad. I went back and forth on this team or the 2014 squad for number one. Romo was definitely the better QB between the two in my opinion-especially in 2014, BUT the team’s defense was vastly superior in 2016 than 2014. Both squads had dominant rushing attacks and a prime Dez and Witten. Zeke was a superior weapon to Murray, but not enough to make some enormous difference. They had home field advantage against GB this time, but did not seem well prepared and had such a slow start that they were forced to come back and almost did.

3. 2007 Squad. This team had so many dominant performances throughout the regular season that I would typically think of them higher on this list, but I also remember how undisciplined they were at times and it came back to bite them at the worst moment in the playoffs. Owens was a nightmare to defend and the rushing attack was very strong with both Julius Jones and Martin Barber III. Young Jason Witten and Tony Romo looked on the cusp of something great, but maturity questions about this year are still asked today. Romo was shaky in this game and was not helped with steady play around. Dropped passes and very poor penalty decisions hurt the team against NY, and the less talented but more disciplined squad triumphed. They did not have as talented a squad until 2014.

4. 2022 Squad. The best defense that I have seen from the Cowboys in the past 28 seasons-as long as a healthy Hankins was playing. The lineman and linebackers were stout and vicious and the secondary got lots of turnovers, and played exceptionally well in both playoff games. The offense was not as dominant as the 2016 version without the elite rushing attack, but was still very strong with a very good Pollard, rookie Ferguson, Lamb, and solid play from the offensive line. Injuries damaged the team’s chances in the postseason (most notably Steele and Pollard).

The rest:

5. 2021
6. 2018
7. 1996 (year after last SB)
8. 2009
9. 2023
10. 1998
11. 2003

Blitzen

Reaction score
2023 is way too low IMO

For me 2023 felt like the one of the biggest pretender squads. Performances against SF and Buffalo and of course GB made me seriously question the record they compiled. It’s one thing to lose to a really good squad, and completely something else to bend over and get spanked like they did against those teams.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I really wanted 2022. That one disappointed me the most. I could live with 2021 and 2023 crashing out tho, because we never were in it against Green Bay, and something didn't feel right about that 2021 team down the stretch.

2022 had a chance to get to the Super Bowl and lose to the Chiefs. Damn Niners.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
16 felt like it was the year. So much confidence going into the playoffs. Not knowing if Dak was capable or not. Such a big heartbreak
This was our best Super Bowl over the last 15-20 years. Jerry and Garrett made a huge mistake with how they handled Dak and Romo during the playoffs. As good as Dak had played the regular season, you knew his lack of post-season experience would catch up with him. It still baffles me today WHY they didn't better prepare both players of a QB change if Dak started struggling. I remember telling a couple of friends to be prepared for Romo to take over during the first playoff game Dak struggles. I am 100% confident Romo would have picked up where Dak left off and led us to a Super Bowl.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
12 wins, 4 against teams with winning records. Gifted the Detroit win, Philly was reeling, Seattle had a winning record but was a mid squad. 2023 Cowboys were major pretenders.
LOL ......9 ALL-Pros,
They did exactly what they should have done against the so-called weaker teams.....dominated. It is interesting how you chose NOT to break down any the other years. I suspect you will find similar results. So until you do, 2023 is still way too low (lol).

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Please just stick to the topic at hand. This can maybe not result in a put down thread based on which team or players you deem better. Give detailed rationale please.

1. 2014 Squad. Romo had already endured so many injuries when the league still allowed the ole land on the QB with all your weight. He had definitely mastered the offense and had a true elite rushing attack. Most opponents could not stop the rushing attack. The road game against the Seahawks demonstrated how vulnerable the Legion of Boom (and Dan Quinn’s defense) was to power running. Playaction devastated opponents when they tried loading the box. If Demarco Murray does not fumble in Green Bay, I’m not sure the Dez catch is a thing. That game was definitely a toss up-both offenses were dominant. Not sure what happens if they had advanced against Seattle, but I would have liked their chances against New England that particular year.

2. 2016 Squad. I went back and forth on this team or the 2014 squad for number one. Romo was definitely the better QB between the two in my opinion-especially in 2014, BUT the team’s defense was vastly superior in 2016 than 2014. Both squads had dominant rushing attacks and a prime Dez and Witten. Zeke was a superior weapon to Murray, but not enough to make some enormous difference. They had home field advantage against GB this time, but did not seem well prepared and had such a slow start that they were forced to come back and almost did.

3. 2007 Squad. This team had so many dominant performances throughout the regular season that I would typically think of them higher on this list, but I also remember how undisciplined they were at times and it came back to bite them at the worst moment in the playoffs. Owens was a nightmare to defend and the rushing attack was very strong with both Julius Jones and Martin Barber III. Young Jason Witten and Tony Romo looked on the cusp of something great, but maturity questions about this year are still asked today. Romo was shaky in this game and was not helped with steady play around. Dropped passes and very poor penalty decisions hurt the team against NY, and the less talented but more disciplined squad triumphed. They did not have as talented a squad until 2014.

4. 2022 Squad. The best defense that I have seen from the Cowboys in the past 28 seasons-as long as a healthy Hankins was playing. The lineman and linebackers were stout and vicious and the secondary got lots of turnovers, and played exceptionally well in both playoff games. The offense was not as dominant as the 2016 version without the elite rushing attack, but was still very strong with a very good Pollard, rookie Ferguson, Lamb, and solid play from the offensive line. Injuries damaged the team’s chances in the postseason (most notably Steele and Pollard).

The rest:

5. 2021
6. 2018
7. 1996 (year after last SB)
8. 2009
9. 2023
10. 1998
11. 2003
The 2022 Cowboys defense was 12th in defense. Comparing that defense to any defense in the past 28 seasons is like comparing dog crap to cat crap.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
LOL ......9 ALL-Pros,
They did exactly what they should have done against the so-called weaker teams.....dominated. It is interesting how you chose NOT to break down any the other years. I suspect you will find similar results. So until you do, 2023 is still way too low (lol).
And what did they do when they actually went up against above average teams? They either got blown out or looked outmatched. They were fools gold.

Blitzen

Reaction score
The 2022 Cowboys defense was 12th in defense. Comparing that defense to any defense in the past 28 seasons is like comparing dog crap to cat crap.

They led the league in turnovers. Came in 6th points allowed. Yardage totals were high, but yards per play tied 7th overall (more plays against). Tied for 3rd in sacks. They struggled tremendously against the run until they traded for Hankins and again when he got injured.

Held SF to 12 points in an away playoff game-that had averaged 33.6 points with Purdy/McCaffrey-not including 6 points gifted from turnovers. To me that is fantastic performance.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They led the league in turnovers. Came in 6th points allowed. Yardage totals were high, but yards per play tied 7th overall (more plays against). Tied for 3rd in sacks. They struggled tremendously against the run until they traded for Hankins and again when he got injured.

Held SF to 12 points in an away playoff game-that had averaged 33.6 points with Purdy/McCaffrey-not including 6 points gifted from turnovers. To me that is fantastic performance.
Cowboys have led the league or close to it in turnovers since Quinn came here. But his defenses were paper thin up the middle. It was embarassing to watch.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
The teams from 2021 - 2023 were fool’s gold. Star studded in places it doesn’t matter as much as the trenches, plus completely unbalanced offenses.

Embarrassing against the run, even losing to a 3 (?) win AZ team that probably couldn’t beat Alabama. And yet the Jones’s have done nothing to improve the run defense for five years now.

How the team won 12 games three straight years is beyond me. I’ve never seen a team respond well to a coach with less than a year left on his contract. I doubt dudes who get tired by January are gonna change that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
12 wins, 4 against teams with winning records. Gifted the Detroit win, Philly was reeling, Seattle had a winning record but was a mid squad. 2023 Cowboys were major pretenders.
I mean all of these teams are pretenders lol. This team hasn’t made a conference championship in years….those 12 and 14 win teams all were pretenders. 2007 team choked against a Giants team that barely made the playoffs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

They struggled against the run with Hankins too.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
I mean all of these teams are pretenders lol. This team hasn’t made a conference championship in years….those 12 and 14 win teams all were pretenders. 2007 team choked against a Giants team that barely made the playoffs.
That 07’ team would’ve won the SB if TO hadn’t gotten hurt against Carolina. Just my opinion. Owens rushed back, wasn’t 100%, and they ran Barber into the ground throughout the entire game. If Romo/Crayton connect on one of those two miscues, they probably win.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That 07’ team would’ve won the SB if TO hadn’t gotten hurt against Carolina. Just my opinion. Owens rushed back, wasn’t 100%, and they ran Barber into the ground throughout the entire game. If Romo/Crayton connect on one of those two miscues, they probably win.
I mean you can say that about every team. If you do this or you do that. That’s what separates the champions from pretenders.