Best teams since 1996 Ranking

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I mean did nothing as far as playoff accomplishments go. He did break tons of regular seasons records not taking that away from him.

Yeah I agree no rookie has ever done it but Romo had never done it either. Just as crazy to expect Romo to do something he never even sniffed.

Romo lost that team. There was no way he was leading them anywhere. I don’t even put that squarely on him.
That team was full of veterans. All of those veterans should have been leading the team and telling the young guys "hey this is a great run but the deeper into the season we get & into the playoffs, it's a different beast. We go with the guy who gives us the best shot to win. Dak's time will come."

No way players saw Tony practice when he returned & thought Dak was the better QB. Poor, emotional decision making facilitated by poor leadership.

I don't get the "never even sniffed". It's pretty well documented that the playoff losses weren't due to Tony. The 2016 team was built for him (offensively). With him keeping defenses uneasy & letting that line & Zeke pound, we've got a fighting chance.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe not but he carried the title of head coach.
Jason Garrett was Jerry Jones in sheep's clothing. The head coach may have thought of options (which I doubt) but Jones had already made his decision concerning the team's new franchise quarterback was early as late October 2016. It would not have mattered one iota if Garrett thought differently.

He should have been setting the stage for Tony's return the entire time rather than letting the mania make the decision.
That observation would be more apt if Garrett was a much better NFL head coach as far as decision-making in my opinion.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I mean did nothing as far as playoff accomplishments go. He did break tons of regular seasons records not taking that away from him.

Yeah I agree no rookie has ever done it but Romo had never done it either. Just as crazy to expect Romo to do something he never even sniffed.

Romo lost that team. There was no way he was leading them anywhere. I don’t even put that squarely on him.
Yeah sure whatever

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That team was full of veterans. All of those veterans should have been leading the team and telling the young guys "hey this is a great run but the deeper into the season we get & into the playoffs, it's a different beast. We go with the guy who gives us the best shot to win. Dak's time will come."

No way players saw Tony practice when he returned & thought Dak was the better QB. Poor, emotional decision making facilitated by poor leadership.

I don't get the "never even sniffed". It's pretty well documented that the playoff losses weren't due to Tony. The 2016 team was built for him (offensively). With him keeping defenses uneasy & letting that line & Zeke pound, we've got a fighting chance.
That’s the thing. I think the vets wanted Dak to stay in there. I don’t think Jason makes this call without the players and I don’t think Jerry makes it all. Stephen I feel would. All speculation on my part.

I’ve said it in the past if Dez, Witten, etc. wanted Romo back in there he would’ve been. I’ve seen Witten speak on it and I don’t know if he felt it was a losing battle but he for sure seemed ok with Dak staying there.

And bias’s aside I can understand. Dak at the time was more mobile and the offense focused more on the rushing attack. Based on a team that wanted to control the clock I think Dak was a better fit for what they wanted to do at the time.

As far as Romo’s career goes….you seem to be more of a fan of him than I am so we are gonna be biased on our stances. We can sit here and say he’s not to blame for those losses…but he did nothing to win them either. Playing “good enough” is just as bad as playing poorly when it results in a loss.

But regardless if you think he was good or bad or the reason for those losses…the fact is we lost with him starting for us. There is nothing to back up the claim if we stayed with Romo we would’ve miraculously won a ring. Our best chances were 2015 and 2016…..

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Jason Garrett was Jerry Jones in sheep's clothing. The head coach may have thought of options (which I doubt) but Jones had already made his decision concerning the team's new franchise quarterback was early as late October 2016. It would not have mattered one iota if Garrett thought differently.

That observation would be more apt if Garrett was a much better NFL head coach as far as decision-making in my opinion.
Maybe he had. I don't know. But I've always been told that Jerry would listen if you went to him with a thought out argument. "Leadership" of the team (including players) should have been talking him off that position since October. I think Garrett wanted Tony out because Tony was running the offense the way he saw fit regardless of JG's calls.

Yes, I agree. I only call him a HC because he somehow obtained that title. Not because he ever proved worthy of it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Maybe he had. I don't know. But I've always been told that Jerry would listen if you went to him with a thought out argument. "Leadership" of the team (including players) should have been talking him off that position since October. I think Garrett wanted Tony out because Tony was running the offense the way he saw fit regardless of JG's calls.

Yes, I agree. I only call him a HC because he somehow obtained that title. Not because he ever proved worthy of it.
That’s an interesting take. Because by 2016 did Jason really care about his own calls? Wasn’t it Linehan or is that later down the road?

Garrett just struck me as someone who just wanted the job and would do what it takes to keep it.

It’s funny how this all went down never really came out. Even from guys like Cole Beasley and Dez who speak on everything.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
That’s the thing. I think the vets wanted Dak to stay in there. I don’t think Jason makes this call without the players and I don’t think Jerry makes it all. Stephen I feel would. All speculation on my part.

I’ve said it in the past if Dez, Witten, etc. wanted Romo back in there he would’ve been. I’ve seen Witten speak on it and I don’t know if he felt it was a losing battle but he for sure seemed ok with Dak staying there.

And bias’s aside I can understand. Dak at the time was more mobile and the offense focused more on the rushing attack. Based on a team that wanted to control the clock I think Dak was a better fit for what they wanted to do at the time.

As far as Romo’s career goes….you seem to be more of a fan of him than I am so we are gonna be biased on our stances. We can sit here and say he’s not to blame for those losses…but he did nothing to win them either. Playing “good enough” is just as bad as playing poorly when it results in a loss.

But regardless if you think he was good or bad or the reason for those losses…the fact is we lost with him starting for us. There is nothing to back up the claim if we stayed with Romo we would’ve miraculously won a ring. Our best chances were 2015 and 2016…..
That's why I said it was a failure of leadership. Coaches & veteran players "should" have understood they had almost no chance in the playoffs with a rookie QB and should have been making those thoughts known.

As I said, I would have been fine with packages for both. However, a veteran running the passing game off play action is better than Dak's legs supplementing the rushing attack.

Yeah, we don't see Tony the same way and not a lot of reason to rehash all that. For clarity I will only say I disagree strongly with the highlited sentence and I never said we would have won a ring. I said it would have given us the best chance.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
That’s an interesting take. Because by 2016 did Jason really care about his own calls? Wasn’t it Linehan or is that later down the road?

Garrett just struck me as someone who just wanted the job and would do what it takes to keep it.

It’s funny how this all went down never really came out. Even from guys like Cole Beasley and Dez who speak on everything.
Linehan technically but my recollection was that it was Garrett thinking of himself as an offensive genius & still trying to pull the strings. I think in that regard he knuckled under to Jerry's insistence that he hire a play caller but subverted it as a form of protest.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
IMO none of these teams would have made it past the NFC champioship game. Not enough clutch players at important positions......too inconsistent post Jimmy....plays need to be made in the playoff, mistakes will kill you...which is what happened in the divisional rounds.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's why I said it was a failure of leadership. Coaches & veteran players "should" have understood they had almost no chance in the playoffs with a rookie QB and should have been making those thoughts known.

As I said, I would have been fine with packages for both. However, a veteran running the passing game off play action is better than Dak's legs supplementing the rushing attack.

Yeah, we don't see Tony the same way and not a lot of reason to rehash all that. For clarity I will only say I disagree strongly with the highlited sentence and I never said we would have won a ring. I said it would have given us the best chance.
I think they knew the consequences of going with a rookie I think they felt it was the same as having Romo out there worse. We have to remember how far removed we were from Romo and that 2014 season. That was two injuries ago.

As far as what you bolded I stand behind it. It’s an excuse I use to make for Dak and Romo. When they played good enough I thought that was acceptable.

But then I see what other quarterbacks have done and even Dak against the Buccaneers…that’s what you do. You play better than you’re expected. Especially at QB. Cowboys have rarely looked at a team across from them and were just head and shoulders better than the opposing team. They need their QB to be the best player on the field among other things and whether it was the Romo run or the Dak run it’s rarely been the case and when you are already flawed from leadership and the trenches you’re fighting a uphill battle when your QB is not the best player on the field.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Linehan technically but my recollection was that it was Garrett thinking of himself as an offensive genius & still trying to pull the strings. I think in that regard he knuckled under to Jerry's insistence that he hire a play caller but subverted it as a form of protest.
I remember that era but I thought that was pre Dak. I thought at this point Garrett was just trying not to get fired and was giving up play calling duties.

You could be right honestly it’s a blur now lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
IMO none of these teams would have made it past the NFC champioship game. Not enough clutch players at important positions......too inconsistent post Jimmy....plays need to be made in the playoff, mistakes will kill you...which is what happened in the divisional rounds.
You can make mistakes. Just better hope you overcome them. Chiefs v Eagles….Chiefs make mistakes all first half….Eagles make one and it costs them the SB. The trenches matter. Just can’t avoid it.

Motorola

Reaction score
I wish I could agree but I don't think we beat Atlanta. They were using that balanced offense and a solid if not great defense. I don't think we stop their rushing attack.
I live in Metro Atlanta-- the fans wanted Dallas, even if the game was on the road. They stiil wanted revenge for that divisional round playoff loss 36 seasons earlier (1980) when leading 24-10 going into the 4th qtr - only to lose 30 -27.

In addition to their running attack, that was Matt Ryan's MVP season.

By the way...it was announced yesterday that Matty Ice and team owner Arthur Blank will be inducted into the Falcons ROH during the Thursday night game October 3rd (Buccaneers are the opponent).

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I think they knew the consequences of going with a rookie I think they felt it was the same as having Romo out there worse. We have to remember how far removed we were from Romo and that 2014 season. That was two injuries ago.

As far as what you bolded I stand behind it. It’s an excuse I use to make for Dak and Romo. When they played good enough I thought that was acceptable.

But then I see what other quarterbacks have done and even Dak against the Buccaneers…that’s what you do. You play better than you’re expected. Especially at QB. Cowboys have rarely looked at a team across from them and were just head and shoulders better than the opposing team. They need their QB to be the best player on the field among other things and whether it was the Romo run or the Dak run it’s rarely been the case and when you are already flawed from leadership and the trenches you’re fighting a uphill battle when your QB is not the best player on the field.
I hear what you are saying about "played good enough" and think there are times when that is a fair argument. On the other hand, I agree with the Belichick "just do your job" mantra. For example, in the 2014 playoff game against GB I think there is a strong argument that across the board our players did their jobs. It was two fairly evenly matched teams. A couple bad breaks and one monumental officiating call tilted the outcome.

Brady didn't always do something "special" but he rarely failed to do his job.

I absolutely agree that you're fighting an uphill battle when the QB advantage doesn't point your way. That is why I would go with the veteran in 2016 because it is more mental than physical.

Hey, we had a good discussion and didn't call each other names. That's veteran posters leadership!!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying about "played good enough" and think there are times when that is a fair argument. On the other hand, I agree with the Belichick "just do your job" mantra. For example, in the 2014 playoff game against GB I think there is a strong argument that across the board our players did their jobs. It was two fairly evenly matched teams. A couple bad breaks and one monumental officiating call tilted the outcome.

Brady didn't always do something "special" but he rarely failed to do his job.

I absolutely agree that you're fighting an uphill battle when the QB advantage doesn't point your way. That is why I would go with the veteran in 2016 because it is more mental than physical.

Hey, we had a good discussion and didn't call each other names. That's veteran posters leadership!!
That’s fair.

But even going back to the “catch game”…..

I might have the details flawed but didn’t Romo throw that pass on 4th and 2? Or 4th and 3?

It wasn’t even smart to throw that pass on that down. Low percentage pass. And that type of recklessness is something you wouldn’t get with a Dak at the time.

I do agree. Do your job. But realistically everyone doesn’t. But to win a ring I think you need your QB to make up whatever flaws your team have at the time. Gotta make those big time throws I don’t think you can bus drive to a SB in 2024.

But we know where we both stand. My argument is we just don’t know what would’ve happened. You certainly bring up great points.

And it’s a great convo for sure typically I think me and you can have that regardless is what side of the argument we are on. Hell we should all be able to since we all our Cowboy fans. We can disagree on a lot but at the be is the day it’s always the Cowboys V Everybody. Our fandom deserves more for sure.