Betelgeuse Star - Supernova Candidate?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Okay. Now it would be extremely nice of you if you could explain to me why I can see my hand in front of my face with all of the light passing in between my hand and my face.

When astronomers look at this star through a telescope are they seeing it in real time?
A telescope only magnifies the image. It doesn't get closer to the subject.

Hardline

Reaction score
A light year is a distance. No
When you look at a star you are not looking back in time. You are seeing that light source in real time. The light source is so big that your 20/20 vision can pick up on it. We cannot see light as it travels. For example, if you walk outside in the daytime and put your hand one foot from your face for one second. There will be over 10,000 photons of light passing between your hand and your face, but you'll still be able to see your hand. Light in flight is too small and moves too quick to be seen. It is smaller than a bullet and moves faster than a bullet. And just like you've never saw a bullet in flight you'll never see light in flight. So we see the light sources and the effect that light source has on visable objects around us. When you look at a star you are seeing the light source not the light in flight. So if this star goes supernova you'll be seeing it in real time.
Let me guess. You are a flat earther also.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No I'm not. I just always take the opposing side just to keep things interesting. I'm good at arguing the most ridiculous points but making them seem logical. That keeps a smile on my face.

I once debated with a guy about which part of our planet is the most magnetic. If the north pole is the most magnetic part of our planet then why do all the rivers run south? I'm good at being pleasantly ignorant. Just for the fun of it.
To whom?

starman22

Reaction score
Sadly, it could go another 10,000 years without blowing... But I saw a thing that whoever gets to see the night sky a couple hundred years after it blows is in for a treat because of how close the nebula created will be.

That is the awesome part, just think of the images we will get of that. I imagine that it's already too late for us to see the nebulas that come from it though.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Habitual Zone

The perfect conditions to support life from oxygen to atmospheric pressure.
Specifically. The Goldilocks Zone is a zone (distance) depending on the size of the star. It's the distance where liquid water can exist on the planet where the planet is not so far from it's star that all water freezes, and no so close that water boils away.

It comes from the kids story Goldilocks and the three bears. If you remember the story it goes like this: Goldilocks says, this porridge is too hot, this porridge is too cold, this porridge is just right.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Specifically. The Goldilocks Zone is a zone (distance) depending on the size of the star. It's the distance where liquid water can exist on the planet where the planet is not so far from it's star that all water freezes, and no so close that water boils away.

It comes from the kids story Goldilocks and the three bears. If you remember the story it goes like this: Goldilocks says, this porridge is too hot, this porridge is too cold, this porridge is just right.

Yea, I just didn’t feel the need to go into more detail with Google around :thumbup:

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Betelgeuse May Be Spinning Faster Than Expected Because It Ate A Sun-Like Star
More