Better Call Saul

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Anyone else watching this season?

Personally think it is the best show on TV by a mile. Kim's performance Sunday night was spectacular.

I love the way they have integrated the characters from Breaking Bad.

Lalo has been a really strong character as well, he is as smart as he is crazy.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I've now twice tried to watch the first episode of season one. I just can't bring myself to watch episode two.

Breaking Bad (before it got really stupid towards the end) was a FAR FAR FAR better show.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Great series and steadily getting better. Working it's way toward Breaking Bad status. I don't know how Vince Gilligan finds his actors, but they're brilliantly cast.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've now twice tried to watch the first episode of season one. I just can't bring myself to watch episode two.

Breaking Bad (before it got really stupid towards the end) was a FAR FAR FAR better show.
Sam c’mon man.

I’m not saying one is better than another. But saying one is better based on watching 62 episodes from one show vs watching only half of one episode from another show? Not a very legit comparison method, and not a big enough sample size to compare the two.
You are a better scientist than that.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Sam c’mon man.

I’m not saying one is better than another. But saying one is better based on watching 62 episodes from one show vs watching only half of one episode from another show? Not a very legit comparison method, and not a big enough sample size to compare the two.
You are a better scientist than that.
I think the biggest issue I have is I am really not a TV guy.

No idea how Star Trek got me, but that is the only show that I really love. Though I pretty much only watch it when I'm going to sleep.

I'm just not a TV guy. I have prefer my hobbies to sitting in front of a TV. Regular TV just doesn't jive with me. Besides Star Trek. Breaking Bad caught my attention. (the early seasons anyhow) Dexter did. Heck, I even watched all of Sons of Anarchy. Though it was hard to actually accept the ignorance of that show, (evaluate the idiocy subject matter that started that show) but once I did. It was a good show.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the biggest issue I have is I am really not a TV guy.

No idea how Star Trek got me, but that is the only show that I really love. Though I pretty much only watch it when I'm going to sleep.

I'm just not a TV guy. I have prefer my hobbies to sitting in front of a TV. Regular TV just doesn't jive with me. Besides Star Trek. Breaking Bad caught my attention. (the early seasons anyhow) Dexter did. Heck, I even watched all of Sons of Anarchy. Though it was hard to actually accept the ignorance of that show, (evaluate the idiocy subject matter that started that show) but once I did. It was a good show.
Not everyone is a TV person, I am not a network TV person because they all eventually fall into the pattern. I can't stand formula TV like all of the CSI's, Law & Orders and Chicago series.

But I also suspend that "everything has to make sense" part of my brain when approaching any of it, especially those "based on a true story". Hollywood can't be true to true without being boring.

However, there is some really good writing and story exposition on cable nets like FX with Rescue Me, The Shield and SOA and AMC with Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. I think Better Call Saul has done as good a job with getting into the head of the main character as Breaking Bad did.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Not everyone is a TV person, I am not a network TV person because they all eventually fall into the pattern. I can't stand formula TV like all of the CSI's, Law & Orders and Chicago series.

But I also suspend that "everything has to make sense" part of my brain when approaching any of it, especially those "based on a true story". Hollywood can't be true to true without being boring.

However, there is some really good writing and story exposition on cable nets like FX with Rescue Me, The Shield and SOA and AMC with Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. I think Better Call Saul has done as good a job with getting into the head of the main character as Breaking Bad did.
I suppose I could try to force myself to watch Better Call Saul, but that first episode just doesn't do it. Though neither did SOA's first episode, I pretty much forced myself to watch several episodes and it didn't finally take hold.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Anyone else watching this season?

Personally think it is the best show on TV by a mile. Kim's performance Sunday night was spectacular.

I love the way they have integrated the characters from Breaking Bad.

Lalo has been a really strong character as well, he is as smart as he is crazy.

The Bagman episode was the real turning point in Sauls breaking bad. He’s in. That’s it.

loved BB and this show is great show but they dragged it out for too many seasons to get to this point/ imo.

still great... just my commentary.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I suppose I could try to force myself to watch Better Call Saul, but that first episode just doesn't do it. Though neither did SOA's first episode, I pretty much forced myself to watch several episodes and it didn't finally take hold.

It’s a slow, methodical series... doesn’t sound like you’ll make it lol

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score

Just like any other series, doesn’t really pick up till later. This show has kind of a slow first season, but don’t they all. My lady didn’t make it, probably to detail oriented in some aspects. The devil is in the details...

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score

I'll say the first season or so was very slow. I think the BB fandom in me kept me invested regardless. The story lines in BCS has since taken off though and each episode is riveting now.

MikeB80

Reaction score
The Bagman episode was the real turning point in Sauls breaking bad. He’s in. That’s it.

loved BB and this show is great show but they dragged it out for too many seasons to get to this point/ imo.

still great... just my commentary.

I disagree they dragged it out...

the whole thing is organic and they are learning/writing it as they go.

Truly fantastic all the way around...from the writing, the performances, the editing and the direction. Its just fantastic.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

Truly fantastic all the way around...from the writing, the performances, the editing and the direction. Its just fantastic.
Is he talking about Breaking Bad? If so, I couldn't agree more about dragging it out too far. Walter's attitude become insanely stupid to the point that I couldn't even finish the show. It was great for a long time, but wow did they destroy it toward the end.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I'll say the first season or so was very slow. I think the BB fandom in me kept me invested regardless. The story lines in BCS has since taken off though and each episode is riveting now.

It was definitely slow early on, but I found the characters interesting and unique so it still piqued my interest.

I find it refreshing in a sea of garbage shows that are done half-fast.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Is he talking about Breaking Bad? If so, I couldn't agree more about dragging it out too far. Walter's attitude become insanely stupid to the point that I couldn't even finish the show. It was great for a long time, but wow did they destroy it toward the end.

he was talking about BCS.

Both are perfect 1 hour dramas.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Agree that it’s great all around except there is one full season of fluff/filler imo.
Agree it seemed liked they were learning as they went along but it came off as not knowing how to proceed with character. I guess that’s one in the same.