CFZ Better or Worse than you originally thought it would be?

75boyz

Reaction score
Pass Defense: Better
Run Defense: About the same

Oline: Kinda better/about the same. Still in progress

Coaching: Better

Quarterbacking: To be determined

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I expected the pass blocking to be better, and honestly, I expected the QB1 play to be better than what we saw in his limited time.

I expected about what we have for run defense.

Other than that, everything is at least as good as I expected. The secondary is better, the LBs are about what I expected (which is good), T.Smith is much better than I expected, though I really didn't know what to expect.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Quarter of the season in and I am still not sure if I know a lot more than before the season started but I did have some idea of how better or worse I thought players and units would be compared to last season.

The team is a surprising 3-1 with those 3 W's with a backup QB and he is definitely better than I thought he would be but not better than the QB1. However, I did not have the QB1 in the top 8 in the league and still do not.

In fairness though, the QB1 is expected to go out and win games the backup is doing well if he doesn't lose them.

The DL and secondary are better than I anticipated and the LB's about where I anticipated.

The OL and WR's are better and the RB's are about where I anticipated.

The coaching is better so taking into account the others that are better, the team is overall better than I anticipated. And winning 3 games with a backup is good coaching. Might be different coaching than with the QB1, and maybe there's a lesson to be learned there, but it is better coaching.

However, I do not feel the team has been really tested yet and that is more of a factor of the NFL, in general, and the NFC is off to a worse start than I anticipated.

So far, the biggest surprise is that PHL is considered to be the best NFC team and while I did think they would be the best in the East, I did not see this coming with Hurt's improvement being so dramatic.

I did feel PHL played better as a team than DAL did last year but that gap has been closed and maybe the QB1 being out has caused that to happen for DAL?

So, what looks better or worse to you and can the better get even better and the worse be countered for this team to get deep into the playoffs?

Only one of the other NFC teams looks any better than DAL does right now and they will play twice so that will get settled.
Better than expected. I thought we would be 2-2.

Expected to lose to Tampa. Expected to beat giants and commanders.

Cinci hasn't been cinci.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
We are about what I was expecting. I was not expecting our pass rush to be better without gregory, but it is. Galimore has played extremely well, so I am ecstatic with our defense.

Our offense with Rush is playing better. I fully expected our WRs to be good, and giving Gallup 2-3 more weeks, our WRs will be very good.

I dont see any team in the NFC that is better, clearly than the Cowboys. The Bucs? Sure , we stunk it up in the opener, but who cares that happens. Did you see the Bucs last night? Did you see the Bucs the week before? That havent looked all that great.

Bottom line is as was shown last year in the playoffs, each game is decided by a play or two. Im cool with where we are. Looking forward to next weekend which should give us a little more clarity.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I came in this year expecting some struggles on offense until about game 5-6 when Gallup became fully healthy.

I know our offense is struggling. But our defense is on point with what I expected, which is a top 5 defense with the best pass rush.

If they can improve against the run, there's no stopping this team.

I would be tempted to pick up Beckam and Suh. I mean, consider both of those guys.

I think our offense improves, though. We'll get this done and all tightened up by mid-season, so we can go on a run.

Interestingly, the Giants are still in it, which I expected. They are a tough team. Like, they just don't die.

I can't wait until the Eagles. It's going to be a hoot. Our defense can outplay their offense. By that time, Gallup will make a comeback. And he changes the whole dynamic of the offense.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Quarter of the season in and I am still not sure if I know a lot more than before the season started but I did have some idea of how better or worse I thought players and units would be compared to last season.

The team is a surprising 3-1 with those 3 W's with a backup QB and he is definitely better than I thought he would be but not better than the QB1. However, I did not have the QB1 in the top 8 in the league and still do not.

In fairness though, the QB1 is expected to go out and win games the backup is doing well if he doesn't lose them.

The DL and secondary are better than I anticipated and the LB's about where I anticipated.

The coaching is better so taking into account the others that are better, the team is overall better than I anticipated. And winning 3 games with a backup is good coaching. Might be different coaching than with the QB1, and maybe there's a lesson to be learned there, but it is better coaching.

However, I do not feel the team has been really tested yet and that is more of a factor of the NFL, in general, and the NFC is off to a worse start than I anticipated.

So far, the biggest surprise is that PHL is considered to be the best NFC team and while I did think they would be the best in the East, I did not see this coming with Hurt's improvement being so dramatic.

I did feel PHL played better as a team than DAL did last year but that gap has been closed and maybe the QB1 being out has caused that to happen for DAL?

So, what looks better or worse to you and can the better get even better and the worse be countered for this team to get deep into the playoffs?

Only one of the other NFC teams looks any better than DAL does right now and they will play twice so that will get settled.
Better than I thought it would be.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I expected 2-2 at the start of the season. Then Dak got hurt and thought season was over. So being 3-1 is nice. And I think we can beat LA this weekend.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I figured it was our QB1 holding us back since 2016. This recent run just reiterated that a lot of us were right. One of these teams since 2016 should have at least made the NFC Championship game if not the Super Bowl. Let's see if Dak can at raise his level of play in the playoffs like some other mediocre QB's, Flacco and Eli at win it all. I have my doubts but you never know.

Before 2016 this team was average. Thanks to Garrett. Since Garrett has left this team has significantly gotten better. No ways we would be this good with garrett as coach.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

With Prescott I thought we would be 3-1. I figured we would split the TB and Cincinnati game and beat up on NY amd Washington. The fact that we did that with a backup is a good omen