Big Apple will have a Dallas feel at the NFL Draft

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Big Apple will have a Dallas feel at the NFL Draft
By CHAREAN WILLIAMScjwilliams@star-telegram.comRelated Content
Waco Tribune Herald/Rod Aydelotte
Baylor’s Jason Smith could be the No. 1 pick in the draft on April 25. Waco

Baylor offensive lineman Jason Smith has never been to Manhattan, but when he gets to the Big Apple on April 23, he has no interest in seeing Wicked, the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building. He has only one thing on his to-do list:

"I want to get a job," Smith said in a telephone interview.

Smith, Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford, Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo and Texas Tech receiver Michael Crabtree are among players who will attend the draft in New York. And Smith, Stafford and Crabtree will make history.

Smith played at Dallas W.T. White, Stafford at Highland Park and Crabtree at Dallas Carter. All three are expected to be drafted in the top 10.

"I think it will be the only time ever that we’ve had three players who grew up so close to each other go in the top 10," said Gil Brandt, a draft historian who is the former player personnel director for the Cowboys. "I’ve never witnessed that before."

Either Stafford or Smith likely will be the first choice of the Detroit Lions. According to the team’s Web site, Smith, Stafford, Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry and Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji have visited Detroit.

The Lions could sign the first pick before April 25, the first day of the draft.

"Anybody would be excited to be the first pick," said Smith, who will have his family, Baylor head coach Art Briles, Baylor offensive line coach Randy Clements and Baylor strength and conditioning coach Kaz Kazadi with him in New York.

"That’s everybody’s dream to be the first overall pick of the draft. But at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what team you’re going to play for; you’re going to play football."

If Smith doesn’t go first, he is expected to go second to the St. Louis Rams, who released left tackle Orlando Pace this off-season. Smith said teams have asked him not to publicize the places he has visited, but, according to various reports, he has been to Cincinnati and Kansas City in addition to Detroit, and he is scheduled to visit St. Louis, Cleveland and Philadelphia next week.

Williams meets Cowboys

Texas Tech defensive end Brandon Williams is driving from Fort Worth to Dallas every day to work out. On Monday, he will make a detour to Irving.

Williams is among draft prospects who will visit Valley Ranch for Dallas Day. He goes to Denver to visit with the Broncos on Wednesday.

Williams, who went to South Hills, is projected as a fourth- or fifth-round draft choice by NFL Draft Scout, a Web site. He is hoping to go higher.

"Hopefully, I can go second or third," Williams said in a telephone interview. "A lot of teams are really hesitating on my speed. I ran another 40[-yard dash Friday]. We put it on camera, so we’re going to send it out to different teams. Hopefully, that will help."

Williams said he ran times of 4.69 and 4.74 on Friday. He ran a 4.96 at the NFL Scouting Combine and a 4.78 on his Pro Day.

Phillips healing

TCU inside linebacker Jason Phillips still is on crutches, rehabbing the surgically repaired meniscus in his left knee. Teams have asked him about the knee, but because Phillips doesn’t have a history of knee problems and will be ready for training camp this summer, it shouldn’t affect his draft stock.

"I went back to my doctor last week, and he told me I’ve got about three more weeks on crutches, just because it’s supposed to be non-weight bearing for eight weeks," Phillips said in a telephone interview. "I’ve been rehabbing it twice a day and working on my upper body and doing some cardio on the hand bikes.

"It’s getting there. It’s just going to take a little more time."

Phillips has visited Buffalo and Baltimore, and the Denver Broncos flew in to meet with him. He will be at Valley Ranch on Monday for the Cowboys’ Dallas Day. Phillips is projected as a fourth-round pick and could go as early as the third.

Following his father

Dexter Manley II has his father’s name. He plays the same position, too. And, just like his father, Manley II isn’t highly touted out of college.

The 6-foot-2, 268-pound defensive end played at Santa Monica College, Oregon and then West Texas A&M. He is not expected to be drafted but could get a chance as a free agent. The elder Manley was a fifth-round draft choice of the Commanders and had an 11-year NFL career.

"This means a lot," Manley II said. "It’s an honor. My father did what he did. He’s one of the greats. Now I have a chance. I’ve got the pedigree. I feel like I make a great impact like he did."

Kicking it

The Cowboys’ scoreboard sits only 90 feet above the playing field at the new stadium. So what happens if a punt hits it?

I posed that question to Mike Pereira, the NFL’s vice president of officiating. He said it’s a "do-over." The ball is dead once it hits the scoreboard; it is placed at the previous spot; and the play begins again.

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips has a better idea.

"It’s a ground-rule double," Phillips said, chuckling.

Pacman still unemployed

Terrell Owens has found a job and so has Tank Johnson, who signed with the Bad News Bengals last week. But cornerback Pacman Jones, released by the Cowboys more than two months ago, is not drawing any interest.

Jones has more arrests than interceptions since entering the league as a first-round draft choice in 2005, and he twice has served suspensions.

It is possible that his career is finished after 39 games, despite the fact that he is only 25.

"Everyone is deserving of a second chance," Titans coach Jeff Fisher told me at the NFL owners meetings. "Clearly Adam has had more than that. There are things that he needs to show he’s improved. The climate in the league right now is sort of zero tolerance. People have a tendency to move on. They are fearful of the next incident. There may never be another incident as it relates to him. But I bet some people said, maybe, 'Enough’s enough.’ He knows I will always be there for him and help him in any way I can. He just can’t play for us anymore."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFL Draft April 25-26, Radio City Music Hall, New York

Cowboys’ first pick: Second round, 51st overall

My five cents

1 The 49ers seem intent on spending a second-day pick on a running back to pair with Frank Gore. San Francisco has had several running backs in for visits, including Texas A&M’s Mike Goodson.

2 It is anybody’s guess who the Bucs’ starting quarterback will be next season. The Bucs probably don’t even know. They have Luke McCown, Brian Griese and Josh Johnson on their roster. Free agent Byron Leftwich visited last week, and Kansas State’s Josh Freeman is expected to visit next week.

3 Texans defensive end Mario Williams has 26 sacks over the past two seasons, fourth in the league behind DeMarcus Ware (34), Jared Allen (30) and John Abraham (26 1/2 ). Williams has accounted for 46.4 percent of his team’s sacks over that period, the most of any player in the league. Texans coach Gary Kubiak has even higher expectations for Williams this season, telling the Houston Chronicle, "We hope Mario will play well enough to battle for defensive player of the year."

4 Jaguars quarterback David Garrard has lost almost 20 pounds, down to 232, which is the first time he’s weighed in the 230-pound range since his junior year in high school. Garrard told the Florida Times-Union he cut his caloric intake from 3,000 calories a day to 1,200. We’ll see if it makes him a better quarterback.

5 The Browns have made it known either of their quarterbacks, Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn, is available. Receiver Braylon Edwards also is being shopped. If Cleveland trades Edwards, who led the league in drops last season, they surely would have to seriously consider Jeremy Maclin or Michael Crabtree with the fifth overall pick. The Browns have traded tight end Kellen Winslow, released receiver Joe Jurevicius and likely will not have receiver Donté Stallworth, who faces DUI manslaughter charges.

Charean Williams, 817-390-7760