'Big Bang' actually 'Big Chill,' new theory says

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
How did the universe begin? The Big Bang is traditionally envisioned as the moment when an infinitely dense bundle of energy suddenly burst outward, expanding in three spatial directions and gradually cooling down as it did so. Now, a team of physicists says the Big Bang should be modeled as a phase change: the moment when an amorphous, formless universe analogous to liquid water cooled and suddenly crystallized to form four-dimensional space-time, analogous to ice.
In the new study, lead author James Quach and colleagues at the University of Melbourne in Australia say the hypothesis can be tested by looking for defects that would have formed in the structure of space-time when the universe
external-link.png
crystallized. The universe is currently about 13.7 billion years old.
"Think of the early universe as being like a liquid," Quach said in a statement. "Then as the universe cools, it 'crystallises' into the three spatial and one time dimension that we see today. Theorized this way, as the universe cools, we would expect that cracks should form, similar to the way cracks are formed when water freezes into ice
external-link.png
."

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Trying to believe that "an infinitely dense bundle of energy suddenly burst outward" ... and formed the universe, the sun and moon, the earth and life itself as we know it, ... is like trying to believe if you threw 1,000 scrabble board games into the air they would land and form the Webster's dictionary.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4680479 said:
Trying to believe that "an infinitely dense bundle of energy suddenly burst outward" ... and formed the universe, the sun and moon, the earth and life itself as we know it, ... is like trying to believe if you threw 1,000 scrabble board games into the air they would land and form the Webster's dictionary.

I think you left out a few steps in between the sudden burst and life itself.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
masomenos;4680515 said:
I think you left out a few steps in between the sudden burst and life itself.
So does science, but then it's all about theories and hypothesis.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
One of the most fascinating aspects of metaphorical descriptions such as the Big Bang or the Big Chill is when the metaphor becomes inseparable from the theory.

We often use metaphor as an aid to understanding. We draw comparisons between a process that is commonly understood (the metaphor) and a process that isn't so commonly understood (what we're seeking to understand). However, in the end, the goal is to understand the latter process without the aid of the former process (the metaphor).

However, in the realm of cosmology and particle physics, we're dealing with processes that nobody on this planet understands completely. Consequently, the metaphor are always getting conflated with the process we're seeking to understand.

In the realm of cosmology and particle physics especially, there haven't been any substantial paradigmatic breakthroughs in a very long time. (And before anyone mentions it, I would point out that Higgs-Boson wasn't paradigm shattering. It was a long-awaited confirmation of what we already suspected was true.)

It's highly possibly that we haven't had any breakthroughs because we've reached the limits of that which our mind can append linear cause-and-effect relationships to. That's why we keep recycling metaphors. It's the same reason you can't have a conversation with your dog about quantum mechanics.

Everyone it privy to the same observational data. They're just structuring it differently.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
speedkilz88;4680518 said:
So does science, but then it's all about theories and hypothesis.

Gravity is a theory so feel free to jump out of any airplane at any time to test it.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;4680664 said:
One of the most fascinating aspects of metaphorical descriptions such as the Big Bang or the Big Chill is when the metaphor becomes inseparable from the theory.

We often use metaphor as an aid to understanding. We draw comparisons between a process that is commonly understood (the metaphor) and a process that isn't so commonly understood (what we're seeking to understand). However, in the end, the goal is to understand the latter process without the aid of the former process (the metaphor).

However, in the realm of cosmology and particle physics, we're dealing with processes that nobody on this planet understands completely. Consequently, the metaphor are always getting conflated with the process we're seeking to understand.

In the realm of cosmology and particle physics especially, there haven't been any substantial paradigmatic breakthroughs in a very long time. (And before anyone mentions it, I would point out that Higgs-Boson wasn't paradigm shattering. It was a long-awaited confirmation of what we already suspected was true.)

It's highly possibly that we haven't had any breakthroughs because we've reached the limits of that which our mind can append linear cause-and-effect relationships to. It's the same reason you can't have a conversation with your dog about quantum mechanics.

I hear ya. When Roofus starts in on quantum mechanics, my brain just shuts off.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4680668 said:
Gravity is a theory so feel free to jump out of any airplane at any time to test it.

Gravity doesn't exist, the earth sucks :D

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score

It's highly possibly that we haven't had any breakthroughs because we've reached the limits of that which our mind can append linear cause-and-effect relationships to. It's the same reason you can't have a conversation with your dog about quantum mechanics.

Speaking of quant, there was a great program the other day on Science demonstrating a particle acting as both a particle and wave at the same time. Pretty fascinating, despite me trying to comprehend it through West Nile.

EDIT: I wonder more if it isn't we can't comprehend so far as we can't muster the energies nor accept the costs of further testing to provide inspiration to new theories. I can only imagine the heights of discovery we'll explore once we start figuring out how to test that dark stuff 'em old scientific edumacated keeps yacking about.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WV Cowboy;4680479 said:
And thank you for playing "Really Bad Analogies!" Tell him what he's won, Joe!

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4680676 said:
Speaking of quant, there was a great program the other day on Science demonstrating a particle acting as both a particle and wave at the same time. Pretty fascinating, despite me trying to comprehend it through West Nile.

That's not just a clash of metaphor. That's a breakdown of reality as we understand it.

:laugh1:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4680663 said:
I know you're upholding your moderator duties but reading this quick statement makes me also believe that you have one hell of a story about your thrilling escape from Jonestown.

I don't need to escape anything I walk through the front door. :cool:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
jimnabby;4680684 said:
And thank you for playing "Really Bad Analogies!" Tell him what he's won, Joe!

It's a perfect analogy, ... just as believable.

As a matter of fact, if I were giving odds, I would go with the Scrabble Boards.

:laugh2:

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score

It's highly possibly that we haven't had any breakthroughs because we've reached the limits of that which our mind can append linear cause-and-effect relationships to. That's why we keep recycling metaphors. It's the same reason you can't have a conversation with your dog about quantum mechanics.

Everyone it privy to the same observational data. They're just structuring it differently.

Or they made the whole thing up. We would never know. I am not saying I don't agree with the statements. I just find it funny that scientist can tell people with fair certainty what happened billions of years ago while many common things today go unexplained. They can be bold in their findings because no one can go back in time and check it.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4680668 said:

Its a theory that is tested and shown to be true on a daily basis. It can be observed. Butt, of course, some want to still call it a theory.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Bungarian;4680695 said:
Or they made the whole thing up. We would never know. I am not saying I don't agree with the statements. I just find it funny that scientist can tell people with fair certainty what happened billions of years ago while many common things today go unexplained. They can be bold in their findings because no one can go back in time and check it.

Because they get more funding for more research if they push the findings others want them to find.