Big Ben: 2nd In The NFL In Sacks

LearningToFly

Reaction score
Mansta54;2450112 said:
Excellent post..:bow: Our BIG oline along with Romo sliding in the pocket will slow their pass rush down. I hope they blitz us bigtime cause Romo will buy time and eat them alive. Their secondary isn't very good at all and can't cover us downfield. If we go up early, it'll be real tough on them to catch up. Our front 7 will dominate their weak oline.. The Steelers aren't all that at all..

This is probably the best secondary Pittsburgh has had since the Rod Woodson/Carnell Lake days. Ike Taylor is as good a pure cover corner as you will find, while Bryant McFadden (who has been out the last month with a broken arm) is arguably their best overall corner. Deshea Townsend is a still a damn good football player, and their fourth cornerback William Gay would be a lot of teams #2. And with Polamalu and Ryan Clark at the safety spots (who missed most of last season with issues with his spleen), it's one of the best young secondaries in the NFL.

I'm not saying they'll shut down the Cowboys, with all the great skill players the Cowboys have right now that's probably impossible, but it will be the best secondary the Cowboys have faced this year.

There's a reason they're only giving up 168 yards a game passing while teams are attempting on average 35 passes against them, even going up against the NFL's toughest schedule. It's a damn good secondary.

Mansta54

Reaction score
LearningToFly;2450660 said:
This is probably the best secondary Pittsburgh has had since the Rod Woodson/Carnell Lake days. Ike Taylor is as good a pure cover corner as you will find, while Bryant McFadden (who has been out the last month with a broken arm) is arguably their best overall corner. Deshea Townsend is a still a damn good football player, and their fourth cornerback William Gay would be a lot of teams #2. And with Polamalu and Ryan Clark at the safety spots (who missed most of last season with issues with his spleen), it's one of the best young secondaries in the NFL.

I'm not saying they'll shut down the Cowboys, with all the great skill players the Cowboys have right now that's probably impossible, but it will be the best secondary the Cowboys have faced this year.

There's a reason they're only giving up 168 yards a game passing while teams are attempting on average 35 passes against them, even going up against the NFL's toughest schedule. It's a damn good secondary.

Their front 7 and the pressure they generate makes their secondary look very good. Sorry but I'm not impressed and I see Romo and company exploiting that secondary...

LearningToFly

Reaction score
PaulH1083;2450402 said:
Ware should have a field day against those OT's.

Yeah, Ware is an absolute monster, and with our starting LT Marvel Smith probably out the rest of the year with back problems, the Steelers have been having to depend on cement footed Marvel Starks to protect Ben's blindside.

The only thing working in the Steelers favor in this matchup is that Heinz Field is a mudpit this time of year, especially after this weekend after all the state high school championships are played there (something like 3 or 4 games in one day), plus the Backyard Brawl between Pitt and WVU. Throw in a little rough weather, and it evens up the playing field and slows down a fast pass rush.

Granted, that also works both ways, so it would be harder for Harrison and Woodley to get good traction and generate a pass rush as well.

LearningToFly

Reaction score
Mansta54;2450665 said:
Their front 7 and the pressure they generate makes their secondary look very good. Sorry but I'm not impressed and I see Romo and company exploiting that secondary...

Fair enough, but after having watched every game of their's this year, I can say that its give and take, their secondary has given their pass rush a lot of coverage sacks this year as well. That Commanders game inparticular, Campbell had no one to throw to most of the night, the key safety that Harrison got against the Chargers was a result of great coverage, a lot of the sacks in the first Bengals game, and that's just some I'm thinking of off the top of my head.

There's a lot of teams with over 30+ sacks, but none of them match the Steelers in YPA, and both plays of over 15 or 40 yards, all of which the Steelers lead the NFL. Give 'em their due. Besides, wouldn't you love to have a guy like Troy Polamalu roving around for your Cowboys? :D

Mansta54

Reaction score
LearningToFly;2450666 said:
Yeah, Ware is an absolute monster, and with our starting LT Marvel Smith probably out the rest of the year with back problems, the Steelers have been having to depend on cement footed Marvel Starks to protect Ben's blindside.

The only thing working in the Steelers favor in this matchup is that Heinz Field is a mudpit this time of year, especially after this weekend after all the state high school championships are played there (something like 3 or 4 games in one day), plus the Backyard Brawl between Pitt and WVU. Throw in a little rough weather, and it evens up the playing field and slows down a fast pass rush.

Granted, that also works both ways, so it would be harder for Harrison and Woodley to get good traction and generate a pass rush as well.

This is my biggest fear, that field is a embarrassment to the NFL and the league really needs to step in and do something about it. It's flatout ridiculous!!!

Mansta54

Reaction score
LearningToFly;2450670 said:
Fair enough, but after having watched every game of their's this year, I can say that its give and take, their secondary has given their pass rush a lot of coverage sacks this year as well. That Commanders game inparticular, Campbell had no one to throw to most of the night, the key safety that Harrison got against the Chargers was a result of great coverage, a lot of the sacks in the first Bengals game, and that's just some I'm thinking of off the top of my head.

There's a lot of teams with over 30+ sacks, but none of them match the Steelers in YPA, and both plays of over 15 or 40 yards, all of which the Steelers lead the NFL. Give 'em their due. Besides, wouldn't you love to have a guy like Troy Polamalu roving around for your Cowboys? :D

Dude the Foreskins is a really poor example to use, their O sucks and their recievers are small and nowhere near as good as the Boyz. The Foreskins run the ball well and thats about it, they don't stretch the field or score points. We do BOTH!!!! As for TP, dude is a stud. I like his game..

LearningToFly

Reaction score
Mansta54;2450674 said:
This is my biggest fear, that field is a embarrassment to the NFL and the league really needs to step in and do something about it. It's flatout ridiculous!!!

Yeah, I was really hoping that the NFL would force them to go to field turf after that embarrassment of a game against Miami last year. Seemed like there was a lot of talk about it happening over this past offseason, but Rooney came out and said the players wanted to keep grass and that was that.

It wouldn't be as bad, but between sharing the field with the Pitt Panthers and then having all of their high school championship games on the field in one weekend, it just tears it up all to crap. Throw in the bad weather that usually hits that area this time of year, and it makes it ten times wores. They're actually putting a brand new sod down on the field this Sunday, which I doubt it will have a lot of time to take root for the Cowboys game. I expect looks of slipping and sliding.

LearningToFly

Reaction score
Mansta54;2450677 said:
Dude the Foreskins is a really poor example to use, their O sucks and their recievers are small and nowhere near as good as the Boyz. The Foreskins run the ball well and thats about it, they don't stretch the field or score points. We do BOTH!!!! As for TP, dude is a stud. I like his game..

Yeah, probably so, but it's not like they've been shutting down slouches either. They've put the clamp down on some pretty good passing offenses so far this year.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Also, speaking of pressure, we put alot of heat on the QB as well and your oline is terrible. Ben is the 2nd most sacked QB in the league and luvs to hold onto the ball for a looooong time. I see your O having bigtime troubles trying to score on our D.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
LearningToFly;2450686 said:
They're actually putting a brand new sod down on the field this Sunday, which I doubt it will have a lot of time to take root for the Cowboys game. I expect looks of slipping and sliding.

Seems like they always do that before big games. I think teams should put down a sod in the summer, and that is that until the following offseason - should be an NFL rule.

Mansta54

Reaction score
LearningToFly;2450690 said:
Yeah, probably so, but it's not like they've been shutting down slouches either. They've put the clamp down on some pretty good passing offenses so far this year.

Yeah but our passing attack isn't just pretty good, it's SICK and maybe the best in the league...

LearningToFly

Reaction score
Mansta54;2450692 said:
Also, speaking of pressure, we put alot of heat on the QB as well and your oline is terrible. Ben is the 2nd most sacked QB in the league and luvs to hold onto the ball for a looooong time. I see your O having bigtime troubles trying to score on our D.

Yeah, I can see our offense getting some big plays here and there against your secondary, but I think they'll struggle to have consistent drives. That offensive line is truly offensive heh.