Big Choice coming up... Bobby Or Ellis??

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
smarta5150;1301860 said:
Sometimes?

He doesnt meet any RBs at the LOS on top of his blown coverage.

Did we mention how slow he is?

*Kramer voice*

Oh, he's slow, buddy!

Smith22

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1301838 said:
Unless we add someone signifcant to the front seven, I'd start Carpenter at LOLB, bring Ellis in to rush from the nickel and put Carp in James' MLB spot in the nickel.

Sounds good 2 me, assuming Ellis can bounce back. James really scares me now. Did he regress that much in 1 year? Did the money go to his head? Is he just slow? The guy needs to improve quickly or we to find his replacement.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I don't think Ellis will be able to come back. Hope I'm wrong.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
It can't be that he's "just slow". He didn't slow down in only a year, especially considering how young he is. He wasn't too slow to play well last year. It's got to be mental, or maybe he's been nursing a nagging injury no one knows about. Regardless, it's not just that he's slow. It just doesn't make sense.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1301838 said:
Unless we add someone signifcant to the front seven, I'd start Carpenter at LOLB, bring Ellis in to rush from the nickel and put Carp in James' MLB spot in the nickel.
:hammer: I like this choice, but I would much rather trade Ellis, and bring in a true force to rush the QB.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
..and find a player to bring a pass to replace what he took with him.

It would be a huge gamble to not address this in the off-season.

Certainly, we have invested a huge bundle on the DL in this already with Fergi, Spears and Canti and we have tried signing expensive FAs in the past to fill the bill with no lasting outcome, either.

Not to mention Ayodele and Ware at the LBer positions and also Carpenter.

That's a ton of cash and draft picks thrown at the problem.

All of that together, along with Ellis, was supposed to do it.

Even when Ellis was at his best, it was still marginally enough to get pressure consistantly on the QB and against better teams, it wasn't enough.

So I'm not sure where Dallas goes with this problem.

A lot will be dependent on whether BP stays or goes..IMO.

If he stays, I think the draft and FA are again going to be combed to spend big bucks or a top draft pick to get a pass rusher...

..one that replaces Ellis and exceeds him.

But that's going to be hard to do at our draft position in 2007 and with all our FAs needing to be resigned or bonused in the immediate months ahead..

..our cap is going to restrict us from just thowing money at the problem..ala Rivera/Ferguson/Henry.

Not to mention the need to find a couple of young, capable WRs to replace Glenn/Owens in the next couple of years, the need to draft another Qb incase Romo doesn't pan out next year and finding some OL talent to probably replace Riveira if he is slow returning and getting a better answer at C on the OL.

It's going to be a challenge, but bottom line..Ellis is not a factor and may not be from here out. I like the guy, think he's had a decent career filled with setbacks and problems not of his own doing, etc.

But I don't think the Cowboys have him listed as anything more than 3rd string from here out unless they have to.

And if they have to, the team is in huge trouble right away. Because his injury is not going to heal enough for him to play anywhere near how he was playing before he was injured.

We'll see..hoping I'm wrong, but the odds are not good.

Thank goodness we have Carp and the immediate need at LBer is already solved.

But that pass rush..boy oh boy.

parcellswaterboy

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess it depends on a few things...

Will we have the same coach and same defensive system this coming season?

Will Greg be 100% next year?

Will Brady James improve or continue on his slide?

Will Bobby come in next year with a year of offseason weight training under his belt and blow people away in camp?

So many variables at this time.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1301871 said:
Like I said, unless we add someone significant to the front seven, I think James starts again. I just don't think he should play in the nickel. According to STATS, he allowed the second-most pass completions on the team -- and he's an inside linebacker.
STATS, Inc keep a tally of how many 3rd down passes players gave up? I would like to see stats on James and Glenn, if so.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Terence Newman700;1301856 said:
damn u guys hate james that bad? i kno he gets roasted sumtimes lol but comon

This is the same syndrome around here that found Rob Petitti acceptable.

I kno he gets beaten for sacks sumtimes lol but comon:rolleyes:

conner01

Reaction score
with singleton gone i think there is room for both. at his age and coming off an injury i think elllis would be my nickle pass rusher and like adam said take james out on the nickle as he simpley looks lost in coverage. can't have to many pass rushers and in the 3/4 you need lots of lb's. we have been lucky with injuries the last few years and that trend could end at any time. keep them both.start carp and bring in ellis to get to the qb

Frozen700

Reaction score
superpunk;1301866 said:
Watching the defense all year, it is clear where a HUGE problem on defense was. It started with their leader. There was consistenly a monstrous hole in any zone we played dropping the ILBs. Either they weren't deep enough, or the were too deep. Either way, the opposition was almost always assured 15 yards.

I think it was obvious who Newman's earlier comments about talk and not performing were directed at.

Hearing Jon Kitna say that at some times, #56 looks lost out there, doesn't exactly get me all warm about the guy.

damn Jon Kitna said that???...damn we got sum issues to adress

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
Its not a choice at all... Ellis has served his time, Carpenter will battle him in training camp and the best player will win. Carpenter is young, Ellis a polished vet.... WE have plenty of time to see how this plays out.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I just hope Ellis can come back close to 100% We'll find out soon enough I guess. We just need to have a backup plan that doesn't involve Bradie James starting.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
It's doubtful Ellis will be the same player he was. It would be nice to have that decision to make.

All we heard while Ellis was out was that Dallas didn't have anyone outside of Ware who could rush the passer. Yet every time I see Carpenter rushing, he seems to get pressure. It annoys me that Parcells waited so long to start Carp.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1301838 said:

You're hired.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
jackrussell;1303735 said:
You're hired.

Devildog... sorry bout last night.

I felt your pain, honestly.

We could have swept the SEC in bowl games :bang2:

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
smarta5150;1303750 said:
Devildog... sorry bout last night.

I felt your pain, honestly.

We could have swept the SEC in bowl games :bang2:

2 of 3 aint bad. According to them....it couldn't be done.

Regardless, we shall perservere!
74032702.jpg

BlueStar II

Reaction score
While I wouldn't mind seeing Ellis come back, with his injury, it takes me back to CB Kevin Smith, who was never the same player after his injury. So that's why I temper any enthusiasm about Ellis coming back, and Ellis is older than Smith was when Smith sustained the same type of injury.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Drop Ellis....he is done. No player is the same after this injury.

If you want someone similar to him...there are a few in FA who might qualify:

Chris Kelsay
Justin Smith
Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila