Big need at OT?

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
I might be in the minority here but I really think OT is a position of need that not a lot of people are talking about.

As tough as Tyron Smith is I think this year more than any other, his injuries are starting to take their toll. I hate to say it but I’m not seeing the same dominant mauler we’re all used to seeing. I’m really starting to worry about his future health.

On the other side of the O Line, Collins has not improved from last year. I’m all but sold that his best position should be at guard.

Connor Williams is an intriguing option at tackle next year but more depth is needed.

What do y’all think about OT being a big need?

The Realist

Reaction score
I might be in the minority here but I really think OT is a position of need that not a lot of people are talking about.

As tough as Tyron Smith is I think this year more than any other, his injuries are starting to take their toll. I hate to say it but I’m not seeing the same dominant mauler we’re all used to seeing. I’m really starting to worry about his future health.

On the other side of the O Line, Collins has not improved from last year. I’m all but sold that his best position should be at guard.

Connor Williams is an intriguing option at tackle next year but more depth is needed.

What do y’all think about OT being a big need?

As of right now I’m thinking TE in 2 and OT in 3. 2019 is the last year of LC’s contract and I don’t think we can handle 4 massive contracts on the OL and he isn’t playing like someone who deserves it.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
One thing I would toy with in the off-season would be:

*Moving La'el Collins to Left Guard. He's a a mauler, struggles in space. He's mean inside, so why not capitalize on that.

*Moving Tyron Smith to Right Tackle. IMO, he's still very good but he's starting to struggle with speed guys. Put him back to the right where he played at USC and started his NFL career at.

*Moving Connor Williams to Left Tackle. This is my biggest question mark, but he has struggled with power and this would eliminate any talk about him needing to add bulk. I thought he played left tackle at UT?

Last edited:

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
One thing I would toy with in the off-season would be:

*Moving La'el Collins to Left Guard. He's a a mauler, struggles in space. He's mean inside, so why not capitalize on that.

*Moving Tyron Smith to Right Tackle. IMO, he's still very good but he's starting to struggle with speed guys. Put him back to the right where he played at USC and started his NFL career at.

*Moving Connor Williams to Left Tackle. This is my biggest question mark, but he has struggled with power and this would eliminate any talk about him needing to add bulk. I thought he played left tackle at UT?

Williams was in fact a Left Tackle for Texas.

I wouldn’t be opposed to experimenting a little bit with the Oline to get the best 5 out there. We also have to think about drafting or signing a swing tackle. Fleming is only on a 1 year deal so unless they work out another contract there is a big need at OT.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I'd draft one in the 3rd,4th or 5th Rd.
·Cody Ford,Oklahoma
·Isaiah Prince,Ohio St
·Dave Edwards,Wisconsin
·Bobby Evans,Oklahoma
·Mitch Hyatt,Clemson
·Derwin Gray,Maryland...can play OG as well.
·Kendell Baker,Georgia

we should be able to get one of them.

tm1119

Reaction score
Tyron is still a top 10 LT in the league...having to prepare for him missing 3 games a year is what it is. I’m all for drafting a high potential OT around the 4th round, but I definitely don’t see OT as a pressing need for 2019.

cowboyec

Reaction score
you can never have enough OL depth.
I'm drafting one to provide depth and develop long term.
I'm not that concerned about Tyron Smith. Fleming is a f/a...another reason why I'd take a OT in the mid-rounds.
if Flemimg re-signs...that'd be great.