Big picture improvement on offense

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Going into the 2024 season, it’s pretty obvious what the positional needs are for this team: OL, LB, RB, DL. But in this thread I would rather look at what the “big picture” needs are on offense. Teams (not individuals) win championships and on both sides of the ball, what that team is able to accomplish collectively is always more important than individually. Yes you need individual talent of course, but it’s what that talent does as a whole that makes it a great team.

IMPROVING THE OFFENSE
I think this offense needs more than some positional upgrades. I have major concerns about the scheme and its ability to adjust to unfavorable situations or matchups. It collectively does not seem to have the flexibility to win in multiple situations, nor does it seem capable when asked to carry the team in a game where the defense fails.

Heres what I mean:
  • If the defense forces multiple turnovers and the team takes an early lead, the offense comes to life and can usually score as needed.
  • But if the defense fails early as we saw in the GB playoff game or the SF, Ariz, and Buffalo losses last year, the offense seems limited In its ability to lead a rally. The lone exception I can remember from last year was the Seattle game in which the offense carried the team.
So in other words, this offense has lots of individual talent but collectively they have been most effective only when things are going well for the defense. If the offense gets mouth punched early by an equal or superior opponent, it seems less capable of counterpunching.

When looking improving our offense from a big picture, it must be able to impose its will when the defense cannot. When playing the best teams in the league, especially the playoffs, if the defense gets punched in the mouth early, the offense must be able to counterpunch immediately. That usually requires a really good running game. I‘m not convinced the “Texas Coast” offense is capable of that. I guess we will see soon enough.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Going into the 2024 season, it’s pretty obvious what the positional needs are for this team: OL, LB, RB, DL. But in this thread I would rather look at what the “big picture” needs are on offense. Teams (not individuals) win championships and on both sides of the ball, what that team is able to accomplish collectively is always more important than individually. Yes you need individual talent of course, but it’s what that talent does as a whole that makes it a great team.

IMPROVING THE OFFENSE
I think this offense needs more than some positional upgrades. I have major concerns about the scheme and its ability to adjust to unfavorable situations or matchups. It collectively does not seem to have the flexibility to win in multiple situations, nor does it seem capable when asked to carry the team in a game where the defense fails.

Heres what I mean:
  • If the defense forces multiple turnovers and the team takes an early lead, the offense comes to life and can usually score as needed.
  • But if the defense fails early as we saw in the GB playoff game or the SF, Ariz, and Buffalo losses last year, the offense seems limited In its ability to lead a rally. The lone exception I can remember from last year was the Seattle game in which the offense carried the team.
So in other words, this offense has lots of individual talent but collectively they have been most effective only when things are going well for the defense. If the offense gets mouth punched early by an equal or superior opponent, it seems less capable of counterpunching.

When looking improving our offense from a big picture, it must be able to impose its will when the defense cannot. When playing the best teams in the league, especially the playoffs, if the defense gets punched in the mouth early, the offense must be able to counterpunch immediately. That usually requires a really good running game. I‘m not convinced the “Texas Coast” offense is capable of that. I guess we will see soon enough.
I thought 100% the same thing last year. When these guys have to play off script, there’s a problem. I thought it was more of a schematic issue than a personnel issue.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:huh:
If any OL is ineffective, how can any QB play under C or in shotgun as well?

Other than a few elite QB's, but they are more successful anyway in the shotgun.
They make it sound so easy. Dak played great under center when Zeke was a stud. Pollard was a part time back and we could not pound and ground with anyone on the roster last year. As far as our offense, weren't we one of the top units in the NFL last year?
Sure, we play better when our defense played well, who the heck doesn't. Just throwing the same old darts at the same old dart board and getting fans riled up for a long day of venting.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought 100% the same thing last year. When these guys have to play off script, there’s a problem. I thought it was more of a schematic issue than a personnel issue.
When I watch some of the “modern” offensive schemes like the ones run in SF, Det, Mia, and the LA rams, people seem to get open or in positions of success as much through scheme as individual effort. Here it seems like way too much depends on the individual.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
What's the word on Asim Richards? If he is ready, all we need is the trio in the middle of the Offense. Center, QB, RB

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
When I watch some of the “modern” offensive schemes like the ones run in SF, Det, Mia, and the LA rams, people seem to get open or in positions of success as much through scheme as individual effort. Here it seems like way too much depends on the individual.
Post of the morning haze, they make it look so easy! I sit back and watch our offense, if Dak isn't doing the scramble drill, it seems that nobody is open. You get open in scramble drills because a defense can't cover that long. I wish as you said we had new innovative offense that schemes guys to be open and they make it look easy!

75boyz

Reaction score
Yeah,
I think the numbers show that the Cowboys are not too good at coming back from down at the half as well.
Proverbial frontrunners.
The inability to counterspunch is an apt description.
And whether under Garrett or McFraud, the slow starts in the playoffs have been telling.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They make it sound so easy. Dak played great under center when Zeke was a stud. Pollard was a part time back and we could not pound and ground with anyone on the roster last year. As far as our offense, weren't we one of the top units in the NFL last year?
Sure, we play better when our defense played well, who the heck doesn't. Just throwing the same old darts at the same old dart board and getting fans riled up for a long day of venting.
Yeah, the dart tips aren't really that sharp. :lmao:

khiladi

Reaction score
Our run game isn’t effective not only because of our Oline, but the fact that Dak can’t play under Center…..

i-see-you-robert-redford-7b51uuxxpzdwij7s.gif

Can’t do a traditional drop back and pass efficiently, making them one-dimensional.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
IT's like we don't put the full pedal on the gas, we do enough just to get field goals!

blueblood70

Reaction score
:huh:
If any OL is ineffective, how can any QB play under C or in shotgun as well?

Other than a few elite QB's, but they are more successful anyway in the shotgun.
Right, might be because tyler's not very good at holding his ground ,

if you're standing on the center and allow your center to get knocked back into the quarterback using shotgun gives the quarterback some more time to get away from all the pressure....

I mean ineffective run game and the fact that our offensive line wasn't even great in pass protection most of the year Prescott, had to get rid of the ball faster Being able to look at the defense and have a few extra ticks to flee is why they are in more shotgun but they say he can't read defenses he can't play under center , more false narratives added everyday... I think it's insane playing the quarterback after we just said the offensive line and the run game wasn't very effective.. Exactly what else is the quarterback supposed to do is now he's supposed to block and catch and three to defense and throw the football but he's being blamed for the run game now...

no, this is a team issue , meaning it's the scheme and design plays what most would call lack of execution by most of the offensive line and even blocking by the running backs weren't very good since zeke left...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Exactly when you can't trust the center of your offensive line to block well and your running backs are not blocking well or picking up the blitz you have to play in the shotgun more so it gives you a couple extra text to figure out where to go with the ball or maybe even change the play I mean people just find more and more things to blame on the quarterback around here it's insane... There's a lot of reasons they don't play under center but the biggest one is most likely either the coaches don't trust the players or the coaches themselves are not designing plays very well... You're correct Tony Pollard was a huge disappointment at $10 million he should have never been handed the reins and even looking back in hindsight I would have ran Rico far more as the starter on rundowns and short yardage and let Tony back him up but the fact that they gave him all that money and everyone said that he can get all them touchdowns at zeke did and if he was given a shot he could be the starter and they were very wrong...

But I really believe they used Tony Pollard wrong they had Rico and hunter on this team early in the season they could have used these players more effectively and kept Tony fresh and we probably would have ran the ball more effectively which would have helped the offensive line a little and maybe they could have played under center...

So I hope they reviewed the season from last year and realized where they went wrong and fix it..

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's odd but I think if we made things simplistic ground and pound, smart pass plays, line up under center use play action, boot legs, use motion, get the defense on their heels. We like to keep it simple, stay in shotgun and think we're going to impose our will.
Didnt like giving you ANOTHER like, but you hit it right on. Am offense cant punch back with a sissy soft ground game.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
so it is a coaching issue.
Thats why I keep saying coaching matters. MM is not very good, and overall the coaching is why they have so many penaltys too.
They cant adjust very well and they dont put the players in a position to succeed.

Against bad teams, dallas can do good, look good, stack up the stats, which inflates player egos and gets fans excited.
Then they play SF, and are overconfident and unprepared for a tough game which you see how those turned out.

Dallas isnt fixing the run game this year.

If dak has 3 seconds to throw the ball, receivers will run 4 second routes lol

op is saying dallas doesnt respond well to being punched in the mouth, well what has changed to prevent that from happening this season?
answer is nothing has changed, and any changes are going to hurt the team more than help.