Big picture improvement on offense

ArtClink

Reaction score
Going into the 2024 season, it’s pretty obvious what the positional needs are for this team: OL, LB, RB, DL. But in this thread I would rather look at what the “big picture” needs are on offense. Teams (not individuals) win championships and on both sides of the ball, what that team is able to accomplish collectively is always more important than individually. Yes you need individual talent of course, but it’s what that talent does as a whole that makes it a great team.

IMPROVING THE OFFENSE
I think this offense needs more than some positional upgrades. I have major concerns about the scheme and its ability to adjust to unfavorable situations or matchups. It collectively does not seem to have the flexibility to win in multiple situations, nor does it seem capable when asked to carry the team in a game where the defense fails.

Heres what I mean:
  • If the defense forces multiple turnovers and the team takes an early lead, the offense comes to life and can usually score as needed.
  • But if the defense fails early as we saw in the GB playoff game or the SF, Ariz, and Buffalo losses last year, the offense seems limited In its ability to lead a rally. The lone exception I can remember from last year was the Seattle game in which the offense carried the team.
So in other words, this offense has lots of individual talent but collectively they have been most effective only when things are going well for the defense. If the offense gets mouth punched early by an equal or superior opponent, it seems less capable of counterpunching.

When looking improving our offense from a big picture, it must be able to impose its will when the defense cannot. When playing the best teams in the league, especially the playoffs, if the defense gets punched in the mouth early, the offense must be able to counterpunch immediately. That usually requires a really good running game. I‘m not convinced the “Texas Coast” offense is capable of that. I guess we will see soon enough.
A lot of great points Hazey, esp about we excel when defense forces early turnovers allowing us to take early leads.

I think Jerry has been trying to recreate the 90's style of offense Jimmy had so much success with to a fault. This FO has always spent more on the offense side of the ball and overinvesting in the O-line like it was 1993. I understand how critical it is to have great O-linemen and great ones are hard to acquire and keep, but we traditionally spend more money on the O-line than most teams. Another point is the best O-lines in the NFL have guys most Cowboys fans never heard of as well as quality backups, gems found in later rounds.

For example, in 2023 Cleveland had a top five O-line. Ever heard of these guys?
  1. LT Jedrick Wills Jr.
  2. LG Joel Bitonio
  3. C Ethan Pocic
  4. RG Wyatt Teller
  5. RT Jack Conklin
Building a great team on both sides of the ball is something this FO has never been able to do, or at least one that has the talent and guts to make it deep in the playoffs.

LysleE

Reaction score
The Cowboys’ offense is archaic compared to the better teams in the NFL.
The better offenses are dynamic; using formation and motion to create mismatches for their skill players. I think a good scheme can offset a lack of talent to some degree.
I don’t think MM has the imagination to create such an offense and Dak is not smart enough to execute it consistently.

ArtClink

Reaction score
The Cowboys front office uses “miracles can happen” thinking every off-season. They come out and tell the fan base at every opportunity how confident they are that the people they have hired, drafted and signed will be great. Despite any evidence of strategic planning on how to improve.

They expect to be better because they say they are better. It’s magical thinking rather than actual roster work.
Exactly! Dallas radio personality (96.7 FM The Ticket) Dan McDowell puts it this way, "Hope is not a strategy", and that sums up our carnival barker every year selling hope to fans that will never see a championship as long as the Jones Cartel own the team.

ArtClink

Reaction score
The better offenses are dynamic; using formation and motion to create mismatches for their skill players. I think a good scheme can offset a lack of talent to some degree.
I don’t think MM has the imagination to create such an offense and Dak is not smart enough to execute it consistently.
Agreed and from what I've read from opposing defenses, out offensive has been very predictable going back to Garrett's ten year reign of terror.

75boyz

Reaction score
IMO the issue with the offense can be boiled down to the run scheme. The whole thing. The blocking scheme, the play design, etc.

Given that its the same coaches coming back, I have no thought that it will be better next year regardless of what happens with the personnel.

I'll go into specifics. The most frequent run play was that draw out of the gun. In it, offensive linemen pulled. Pollard usually had to wait for the o linemen to get around and the defense sniffed it out as the play was developing. Even worse, the team frequently left defenders unblocked on the weakside. When defenders read it quick, they just went right at Pollard forcing him to dodge defenders in the backfield before the play even got going.

It would be one thing if they tried that play a few times and gave up on it. Nope. This was the staple of the run game from beginning to end. Remember, its the definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing and expect different results.
Spot on.
The run scheme staple of tackle intentionally not blocking and allowing DE pressure was pathetic and it was used constantly the whole year.
The coaching "braintrust" of Solari, Schott and McFraud were absolutely clueless in run game teaching, scheme and philosophy.
All 3 of 'em shoulda been fired for their epic fail on rain game coaching.

Or should I say, lack thereof.

jmo

75boyz

Reaction score
Yep and double yep.

Strykerscm

Reaction score
Our run game isn’t effective not only because of our Oline, but the fact that Dak can’t play under Center…..
Great point. Dak isn’t smart enough to read the defense and audible to the correct play or leave the play as is. I would imagine he’s very ‘book’ dumb.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Spot on.
The run scheme staple of tackle intentionally not blocking and allowing DE pressure was pathetic and it was used constantly the whole year.
The coaching "braintrust" of Solari, Schott and McFraud were absolutely clueless in run game teaching, scheme and philosophy.
All 3 of 'em shoulda been fired for their epic fail on rain game coaching.

Or should I say, lack thereof.

jmo
I just want to continue with this rant because I feel the two of us live in an alternate reality. I see so many people complaining about the O line or Pollard regarding the run game. The team left DE's unblocked. On purpose. So frequently that they started getting coached up that if their man left, it was a run the other direction.

The whole run system was bat **** crazy.

You are supposed to run some counters and kick outs to go along with the plays we are talking about. That keeps d linemen honest. All year, I never saw it once. This is football 101 stuff.

75boyz

Reaction score
I just want to continue with this rant because I feel the two of us live in an alternate reality. I see so many people complaining about the O line or Pollard regarding the run game. The team left DE's unblocked. On purpose. So frequently that they started getting coached up that if their man left, it was a run the other direction.

The whole run system was bat **** crazy.

You are supposed to run some counters and kick outs to go along with the plays we are talking about. That keeps d linemen honest. All year, I never saw it once. This is football 101 stuff.
Triple like to infinity and beyond brother.

It's beyond crazy how inept our run game was based on the coaching histories of these 3 stooges.

McFraud, Schott and Solari need outside consultants or something to guide them down the right path to basic run game principles.

Just mind-boggling how clueless.
And to keep it the same for an entire season?

Freakin' run game malpractice I tell ya.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys were almost deliberately one-dimensional last season with just Pollard considered as a serious weapon and they mishandled him by making him the primary RB. The Cowboys have a history of mishandling that position ever since Emmitt.

The Cowboys don't need a RB, they need two. Last season they were the only NFC playoff team to run less than 45% of the time.

I keep hearing about the RB position being devalued but three of the top five rushing offenses played in conference championship games last season, the #1 Ravens, #3 49ers, and #5 Lions. If the name on your QB's jersey isn't Brady or Mahomes then the RB position is still relevant.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
It's odd but I think if we made things simplistic ground and pound, smart pass plays, line up under center use play action, boot legs, use motion, get the defense on their heels. We like to keep it simple, stay in shotgun and think we're going to impose our will.
This post is getting me fired up .This is also my mind set when it comes to the Cowboys. I think about running some wrinkles of the wing T offense as well .Build your offense to confuse defenses with power and speed .

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Bullet, we need to stop the run and be able to run the ball. This is the reason why DAL hasn't won a SB in over 29 years. Until this changes, things will remain the same.
Here Here we have a winner , fix these 2 problems and better results will soon follow.Dallas must aquire BEASTS on the lines of scrimmage ,that is the reason they can't get further along in the playoffs.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
This post is getting me fired up .This is also my mind set when it comes to the Cowboys. I think about running some wrinkles of the wing T offense as well .Build your offense to confuse defenses with power and speed .
We like to keep it basic yet other teams you see guys running wide open against us like it's nothing

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys were almost deliberately one-dimensional last season with just Pollard considered as a serious weapon and they mishandled him by making him the primary RB. The Cowboys have a history of mishandling that position ever since Emmitt.

The Cowboys don't need a RB, they need two. Last season they were the only NFC playoff team to run less than 45% of the time.

I keep hearing about the RB position being devalued but three of the top five rushing offenses played in conference championship games last season, the #1 Ravens, #3 49ers, and #5 Lions. If the name on your QB's jersey isn't Brady or Mahomes then the RB position is still relevant.
Great post. If the Cowboys don’t get a running game, all the other roster problems will pale in comparison.

ArtClink

Reaction score

Parcells is the exception with how he used the great Marion Barber. Make him the #2 back, limit his carries until the 2nd half, and then let the battering ram begin.