Big roster decisions need to be made on the DL

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Suddenly, there is a glut of DL!!! Yes there some position flex within this group. But generally speaking this is what were looking at. Getting to 53 means the Cowboys likely keep 5 DE's and 5 DT's. A few names are obviously not getting cut and there are some clear cuts and PS guys. So the challenge is picking the 10 you go to war with in Cleveland week one. Who makes the team? I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the closed door meeting where these decisions are made.

DE:
Micah Parsons
DeMarcus Lawrence
Marshawn Kneeland
Viliami Fehoko
Tyrus Wheat
Durrell Johnson
Al-Quadin Muhammad
Carl Lawson

DT:
Osa Odighizuwa
Jordan Phillips
Mazi Smith
Chauncey Golston
Justin Rogers
Denzel Daxon
Albert Huggins
Linval Joseph

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah I agree with this. It was rather easy to get to 10.
Try explaining that to my buddy the OP sheesh! Lol (JK) yeah I wanted Muhammad to make it, but uhhh who knows. I'm not sold on Gholston he's just been here for years, he's not a Zim guy he's a quinn guy I think so who knows, I guess he's fine!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Try explaining that to my buddy the OP sheesh! Lol (JK) yeah I wanted Muhammad to make it, but uhhh who knows. I'm not sold on Gholston he's just been here for years, he's not a Zim guy he's a quinn guy I think so who knows, I guess he's fine!
Maybe Gholston is questionable because Quinn is gone but at that point maybe Muhammad?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jordan Phillips is so big he takes up 2 spots
We used to have someone here that did the same thing, yet they made him lose all this weight, now he's trying to get it back, and he needs to stay away from milk!

Jarntt

Reaction score
Last year they had 11 DL on the initial 53. I'll assume it will be 10 this year and since Micah is going to play some LBer, I think it is much more likely to be 11 again than it is 9. Also, I'm not sure how many snaps Joseph will be ready to play in 2 weeks. I'm, guessing he hasn't exactly been running sprints this Summer. Another reason to possibly keep 11 for at least the beginning of the season. The following assumes no more additions on the DL, but I think it's better than 50/50 that we add a player after cut downs are done.

DE:
Micah Parsons
DeMarcus Lawrence
Marshawn Kneeland
Chauncey Golston
Carl Lawson

DT:
Osa Odighizuwa
Mazi Smith
Jordan Phillips
Linval Joseph
Justin Rogers

If it's 11 I think it will be Fehoko or a player not currently on our roster

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We used to have someone here that did the same thing, yet they made him lose all this weight, now he's trying to get it back, and he needs to stay away from milk!
I was really just referring to the fact he listed Phillips twice under DT, but he is big...

Creeper

Reaction score
Suddenly, there is a glut of DL!!! Yes there some position flex within this group. But generally speaking this is what were looking at. Getting to 53 means the Cowboys likely keep 5 DE's and 5 DT's. A few names are obviously not getting cut and there are some clear cuts and PS guys. So the challenge is picking the 10 you go to war with in Cleveland week one. Who makes the team? I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the closed door meeting where these decisions are made.

DE:
Micah Parsons
DeMarcus Lawrence
Marshawn Kneeland
Viliami Fehoko
Tyrus Wheat
Durrell Johnson
Al-Quadin Muhammad
Carl Lawson

DT:
Osa Odighizuwa
Jordan Phillips
Mazi Smith
Chauncey Golston
Justin Rogers
Denzel Daxon
Jordan Phillips
Albert Huggins
Linval Joseph
I believe last year they opened the season with 10 defensive linemen not including Parsons. I think we will see the same number this year.

DEs will be Lawrence, Kneeland, Lawson, Fehoko,, and Golston.

DTs will be Osa, Phillips, Joseph, Mazi, and I think Rogers.

Golston and Fehoko will play DE and DT at times.

I think Daxon, Wheat (if eligible) and Muhammad my wind up on the practice squad.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

DE:
Micah Parsons
DeMarcus Lawrence
Marshawn Kneeland
Viliami Fehoko
Tyrus Wheat
Durrell Johnson
Al-Quadin Muhammad
Carl Lawson

DT:
Osa Odighizuwa
Jordan Phillips
Mazi Smith
Chauncey Golston
Justin Rogers
Denzel Daxon
Jordan Phillips
Albert Huggins
Linval Joseph
My guess is Phillips will probably be on the roster and Joseph will be insurance on the PS. Or maybe vice versa. I dont see both on the 53

Jarntt

Reaction score
I believe last year they opened the season with 10 defensive linemen not including Parsons. I think we will see the same number this year.

DEs will be Lawrence, Kneeland, Lawson, Fehoko,, and Golston.

DTs will be Osa, Phillips, Joseph, Mazi, and I think Rogers.

Golston and Fehoko will play DE and DT at times.

I think Daxon, Wheat (if eligible) and Muhammad my wind up on the practice squad.
11 last year:

Defensive end​

• Micah Parsons
  • DeMarcus Lawrence
  • Dorance Armstrong
  • Sam Williams
  • Dante Fowler

Defensive tackle​

• Mazi Smith
  • Johnathan Hankins
  • Osa Odighizuwa
  • Junior Fehoko
  • Chauncey Golston
  • Neville Gallimore

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score

DE:
Micah Parsons
DeMarcus Lawrence
Marshawn Kneeland
Viliami Fehoko
Tyrus Wheat
Durrell Johnson
Al-Quadin Muhammad
Carl Lawson

DT:
Osa Odighizuwa
Jordan Phillips
Mazi Smith
Chauncey Golston
Justin Rogers
Denzel Daxon
Jordan Phillips
Albert Huggins
Linval Joseph
I’d keep and start both Jordan Phillips. There would be no room to run in the middle.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I’d keep and start both Jordan Phillips. There would be no room to run in the middle.

DE:
Micah Parsons
DeMarcus Lawrence
Marshawn Kneeland
Viliami Fehoko
Tyrus Wheat
Durrell Johnson
Al-Quadin Muhammad
Carl Lawson

DT:
Osa Odighizuwa
Jordan Phillips
Mazi Smith
Chauncey Golston
Justin Rogers
Denzel Daxon
Jordan Phillips
Albert Huggins
Linval Joseph
i don't think it's that hard it became obvious that Zim wanted more experience in the middle ie better more seasoned veterans that know Zims D..

easy,

writing on the wall,

Rogers, Daxon and Huggins all on the bubble outside looking in on the 53 but candidates for the PS or one stashed on iR..we did lose Ridgway doing this but it happens its good problem to have.

many have position Flex Fehoko/Gholston can both play inside and out depending on the packages needed. ie when you take out NT in a Nascar type package you than use for example, Parsons-Osa-Gholston-tank or combo of others for full pass rush mode etc.

Sandyf

Reaction score
This is the way I currently see it.

DE:
Micah Parsons - will be counted in with the LBs
DeMarcus Lawrence - yes
Marshawn Kneeland - yes
Viliami Fehoko - yes/flex to 3 tech if needed
Tyrus Wheat - PS
Durrell Johnson - PS
Al-Quadin Muhammad - PS or maybe 53
Carl Lawson - yes

DT:
Osa Odighizuwa - yes
Jordan Phillips - yes
Mazi Smith - yes
Chauncey Golston - yes/flex to DE if needed - wouldn't be surprised to see him traded
Justin Rogers - PS (has good upside but needs a year)
Denzel Daxon - PS maybe
Albert Huggins - cut
Linval Joseph - yes

Depending on the other needs i.e. backups on OL, we might just keep 9 which makes Fehoko and Golston a bit more valuable. Do believe we see Osa and Phillips line up more as 3-tech and Mazi and Linval as the nose or 1 tech. Linval and Phillips have age to factor in over a long season and both have had injuries so having Rogers and Daxon on the PS could be a huge factor.

Lumping Parsons in with the LBs probably helps the numbers. With DL at 9, LB at 6 and DB at 10, you have 25, so 25 for Offense and 3 special team.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Last year they had 11 DL on the initial 53. I'll assume it will be 10 this year and since Micah is going to play some LBer, I think it is much more likely to be 11 again than it is 9. Also, I'm not sure how many snaps Joseph will be ready to play in 2 weeks. I'm, guessing he hasn't exactly been running sprints this Summer. Another reason to possibly keep 11 for at least the beginning of the season. The following assumes no more additions on the DL, but I think it's better than 50/50 that we add a player after cut downs are done.

DE:
Micah Parsons
DeMarcus Lawrence
Marshawn Kneeland
Chauncey Golston
Carl Lawson

DT:
Osa Odighizuwa
Mazi Smith
Jordan Phillips
Linval Joseph
Justin Rogers