Big roster decisions need to be made on the DL

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Suddenly, there is a glut of DL!!! Yes there some position flex within this group. But generally speaking this is what were looking at. Getting to 53 means the Cowboys likely keep 5 DE's and 5 DT's. A few names are obviously not getting cut and there are some clear cuts and PS guys. So the challenge is picking the 10 you go to war with in Cleveland week one. Who makes the team? I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the closed door meeting where these decisions are made.

DE:
Micah Parsons
DeMarcus Lawrence
Marshawn Kneeland
Viliami Fehoko
Tyrus Wheat
Durrell Johnson
Al-Quadin Muhammad
Carl Lawson

DT:
Osa Odighizuwa
Jordan Phillips
Mazi Smith
Chauncey Golston
Justin Rogers
Denzel Daxon
Albert Huggins
Linval Joseph
I don't think it will be too challenging, outside of maybe the last DE spot. Locks:

-Parsons, DLaw, Kneeland, Lawson,
-Osa, Phillips, Mazi, Joseph

Golston over Fehoko being that flex player. Perhaps Wheat or Muhammad if they go long.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think it will be too challenging, outside of maybe the last DE spot. Locks:

Golston over Fehoko being that flex player. Perhaps Wheat or Muhammad if they go long.
I like muhammad

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Suddenly, there is a glut of DL!!! Yes there some position flex within this group. But generally speaking this is what were looking at. Getting to 53 means the Cowboys likely keep 5 DE's and 5 DT's. A few names are obviously not getting cut and there are some clear cuts and PS guys. So the challenge is picking the 10 you go to war with in Cleveland week one. Who makes the team? I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the closed door meeting where these decisions are made.

DE:
Micah Parsons
DeMarcus Lawrence
Marshawn Kneeland
Viliami Fehoko
Tyrus Wheat
Durrell Johnson
Al-Quadin Muhammad
Carl Lawson

DT:
Osa Odighizuwa
Jordan Phillips
Mazi Smith
Chauncey Golston
Justin Rogers
Denzel Daxon
Albert Huggins
Linval Joseph
I heard yesterday that Zimmer has moved Golston back to DE. Not sure if thats permanent or not yet but it sounds like it. Zimmer likes big DT’s and Golston is only 268lbs. The MS has him listed as a DE as well. Either way, he’s probably worried.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Last year they had 11 DL on the initial 53. I'll assume it will be 10 this year and since Micah is going to play some LBer, I think it is much more likely to be 11 again than it is 9. Also, I'm not sure how many snaps Joseph will be ready to play in 2 weeks. I'm, guessing he hasn't exactly been running sprints this Summer. Another reason to possibly keep 11 for at least the beginning of the season. The following assumes no more additions on the DL, but I think it's better than 50/50 that we add a player after cut downs are done.

DE:
Micah Parsons
DeMarcus Lawrence
Marshawn Kneeland
Chauncey Golston
Carl Lawson

DT:
Osa Odighizuwa
Mazi Smith
Jordan Phillips
Linval Joseph
Justin Rogers

If it's 11 I think it will be Fehoko or a player not currently on our roster
I like this list. But I wouldn't mind seeing them put Justin Rogers on the short-term IR and keep huggy Bear. If we need Justin Rogers back we can get him after 8 weeks.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
It would be nice if Dan Quinn would make this decision a little easier for us. Give us a fourth or fifth for mozy.

CCBoy

Reaction score
DE Parsons, Lawrence, Kneeland Lawson, Gholston (if you followed along he's been moved back to DE along with Fehoko) :facepalm:
DT Osa, Phillips, Mazi,Joseph) Rogerrs/Huggs (practice squad
Strong running defense has been pointed out and working both outside and inside...

CCBoy

Reaction score

Here are the first two strings to start the season...

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't care who makes it, as long as they are the best options. With the additions of Lawson, Philips, and Joseph, all of a sudden the weak link on the team is looking pretty strong. This defense is going to be really, really good.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Last year they had 11 DL on the initial 53. I'll assume it will be 10 this year and since Micah is going to play some LBer, I think it is much more likely to be 11 again than it is 9. Also, I'm not sure how many snaps Joseph will be ready to play in 2 weeks. I'm, guessing he hasn't exactly been running sprints this Summer. Another reason to possibly keep 11 for at least the beginning of the season. The following assumes no more additions on the DL, but I think it's better than 50/50 that we add a player after cut downs are done.

DE:
Micah Parsons
DeMarcus Lawrence
Marshawn Kneeland
Chauncey Golston
Carl Lawson

DT:
Osa Odighizuwa
Mazi Smith
Jordan Phillips
Linval Joseph
Justin Rogers

If it's 11 I think it will be Fehoko or a player not currently on our roster
Golston and Fehoko. Bye Bye. Those guys are terrible. Id rather try Muhammad

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
The role Parsons is going to play will be different than what we have seen. Zimmer is not going to continuously have him butt head with OT's. He's the Queen in our chess game, he's going to come from any direction and create confusion and havoc. Use him on various stunts, shoot the A&B gabs, drop back into throwing lanes and at times find those mismatches on weaker OT's. Moving Parson's around will naturally create confusion for opposing offenses (Yes, we have heard that before), but this time it will be for real. Is he coming of the edge of Lawerance's shoulder or twisting back inside? Is he coming through the A or B gap (no he is dropping back, and Marist is coming!). Just moving him around will change the look of our defense in the QB's head.
Or DEs are going to play more disciplined with setting the edges to keep the pocket from opening up and creating escape routes. QB's are going to feel a little less comfortable than they have in the past. I hated seeing Parsons get around the edge then having to chase the QB to the outside. The shortest distance to the QB the better for Parsons, and the rest of the DL. Quinns defensive scheme created lanes for QB's and RB's...that's no more. Sure, there will be times we will be gashed on a play or two, but overall, we will hold containment. The veteran experience we have on the DL now will pay dividends.

When I look at the defense, I'm seeing...
DE...Lawerance, Lawson, Kneeland, Gholston and Muhammad. (Maybe this list changes after final cuts around the league/ Fehoko to PS)
DT... Phillips, Joseph, Osa, Mazi, (Rodgers to PS)

Now, with Parsons, he may be listed as a DE, but he's not going to typically play like one. So, I'm putting him in the LB group.
LB... Parsons, Kendricks, Overshown, Marist, Clarke, (Harvey to PS)

I have to list the back end ;)

CB...Diggs, Bland, Lewis, Booth, Carson.
S... Hooker, Wilson, Thomas, Bell

I'm not sure if Mukuamu makes it or not. Probably depends on how deep we go at WR and the OL..
I don't think we would be able to put him on the PS without him being claimed before we could. (Quinn is probably lurking in the weeds)

fivetwos

Reaction score
I can’t WAIT until this teams biggest problem is having too many quality defensive linemen.

Wouldn’t call it that just yet.