Big Shot Rob to Re-Sign!

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Horry to stay 3 years: Spurs reach agreement with shot-making veteran

Web Posted: 07/06/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

The next big shot Robert Horry makes in an NBA game will be for the Spurs.

Robert Horry is going to sign a new contract with the Spurs the first day league rules allow, according to his agent.

Horry, one of the heroes of the Spurs' 2005 NBA championship run, has agreed to the terms in a three-year contract offer from the Spurs.

Free agents can't sign contracts until terms of the new collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and its players' union are finalized. The league has estimated July 22 as the likeliest date.

"As soon as he is allowed to sign the contract, he is going to sign it," Robert Barr, who represented the 13-year veteran in negotiations, said Tuesday.

The Spurs declined comment, citing an NBA rule preventing them from announcing such agreements before players can sign them.

Horry, 34, whose 3-point shot with 5.8 seconds remaining in overtime gave the Spurs a 96-95 Game 5 victory over the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals, played last season for the veterans' minimum salary of $1.1million. Financial terms of the new deal aren't known, but it is expected to pay him considerably more.

There is a clause in the third year of the deal that would allow the Spurs to buy out the final year.

The Miami Heat and Dallas Mavericks this past week courted Horry, whose shooting has earned him the nickname "Big Shot Bob." He had played in Los Angeles with Shaquille O'Neal, who made it clear he wanted Miami to make Horry an offer.

"The biggest factor in (Robert's) decision is just that the Spurs are a first-class organization," Barr said. "Robert loves the team. He loves Tim Duncan and all the rest of his teammates, and he loves the way Pop (coach Gregg Popovich) is, and the way Pop coaches and the way Pop has learned to use him."

The 2005-06 season would be Horry's third with the Spurs. He averaged 6.1 points in 75 games this past season and has a career scoring average of 7.5 points per game.

But Horry's real value was most evident in the playoffs. He made big shots in every series, including a 3-pointer in Game 2 of the Spurs' Western Conference Finals victory over the Phoenix Suns that gave the Spurs a one-point lead with 2:31 remaining.

Horry averaged 28.6 minutes in the seven games of the NBA Finals and was on the floor for the crucial minutes of the fourth quarters.

Horry, the all-time leader in NBA Finals 3-pointers made, never has been with a team that failed to make the playoffs. In fact, he never has experienced a loss in the first round of the playoffs.

"Robert believes this (Spurs) team can win more championships," Barr said. "For him, that's what this game is all about."

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
This is great that they got it done so early! Now whatever they do for the summer (be it look for trades for Rasho or whatever) at least Horry is already here.
But there shouldn't have been any doubt. If you're playing on a team with no drama or selfishness, still getting your minutes, and winning titles then of course that's hard to leave. He already knew he was getting a pay raise lol.

Its good to see that they are giving him a good deal, he definitely deserves it. Glad he showed some loyalty too.
I guess ticket prices will be going up now since they are about 12 mill or so over the cap.

Great job Spurs...regardless of who else we sign...the core from this years tough minded championship team is locked into place for at least a 2 year run! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

GO SPURS GO!!!

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Payton34smith22 said:
This is great that they got it done so early! Now whatever they do for the summer (be it look for trades for Rasho or whatever) at least Horry is already here.
But there shouldn't have been any doubt. If you're playing on a team with no drama or selfishness, still getting your minutes, and winning titles then of course that's hard to leave. He already knew he was getting a pay raise lol.

Its good to see that they are giving him a good deal, he definitely deserves it. Glad he showed some loyalty too.
I guess ticket prices will be going up now since they are about 12 mill or so over the cap.

Great job Spurs...regardless of who else we sign...the core from this years tough minded championship team is locked into place for at least a 2 year run! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

GO SPURS GO!!!

I thought they still had cap space.

I know they're going to sign Scola (mid level exception?) and rumor has them making a play for Abdur Rahim.

Other than that, jettison the big-white-stiff and move on!

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
For some reason I thought they where over the cap hmmm,I'm prob wrong.

How'bt this one Danny?

Trade Rasho (for Rahim)
Pick Finley (sure he'll be cut)
Sign Scola

Sounds like a plan to me huh....;)

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
If we are looking to trade Rasho they better do it once Nazr has a long term deal.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Payton34smith22 said:
For some reason I thought they where over the cap hmmm,I'm prob wrong.

How'bt this one Danny?

Trade Rasho (for Rahim)
Pick Finley (sure he'll be cut)
Sign Scola

Sounds like a plan to me huh....;)
Rahim's an unrestricted FA, so no need to trade him.

My hunch is that Rasho will simply be released under the new CBA which allows teams a one-time "whoops" release of a high paid player with no negative cap ramifications. Rasho will get his $30 million in a big lump, but no bad cap consequences for the Spurs.

I doubt if anyone will trade given his contract... but I could be wrong. He is servicable.

Where would you play Finley, though? Is he a guard or a small forward? If he's a 2 guard, I don't want him. If he's a SF, I'd rather develop someone younger.

Scola should be huge, though.

I smell a repeat!

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Yea,I thought the same thing about Finley after I posted that lol. "where would he play?'' Plus he has bad knees too. He is one of my fav players though.

I'm thinking repeat too! :beer2:

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
The one problem I have with unloading Rasho is it leaves the team without any "true" 7-footers (since Duncan, for the first time, was listed as 6-foot-11 this season), and the depth at center would be questionable.

Plus, if you bring in Scola and sign Abdur-Rahim, that's a lot of power forwards vying for limited minutes. Horry probably won't play much in the regular season, but still, that would seem rather cramped.