Big year for both Burnett & Carpenter

sago1

Reaction score
Keep a close eye on the battle between Burnett & Carpenter to see which player becomes the principal backup (starter next year?) behind ILB Zack Thomas. Burnett becomes a FA after this year & Carpenter is entering the 3rd year. Now 1-2 other LBs might have a say in who eventually starts in 1-2 years, but Burnett & Carpenter are the primary candidates. If nobody really steps it up this year,, we probably will use a high rounder to draft an ILB--something I'd rather avoid doing. So I'll be cheering for Burnett and/or Carpenter along with any other linebacker on this team who can clearly show he's our future starter at ILB.

Reaction score
sago1;2159850 said:
Keep a close eye on the battle between Burnett & Carpenter to see which player becomes the principal backup (starter next year?) behind ILB Zack Thomas. Burnett becomes a FA after this year & Carpenter is entering the 3rd year. Now 1-2 other LBs might have a say in who eventually starts in 1-2 years, but Burnett & Carpenter are the primary candidates. If nobody really steps it up this year,, we probably will use a high rounder to draft an ILB--something I'd rather avoid doing. So I'll be cheering for Burnett and/or Carpenter along with any other linebacker on this team who can clearly show he's our future starter at ILB.

I am pulling for Carp because he was such a high pick and hate to see another bust label on one of our draft picks.

If Thomas stays healthy and plays well he will be back next year. He easily can play another 2 or 3 years in our system.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Right now the best we can hope is that Carp will establish himself firmly as one of our better special teams players.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I have heard of many "big years" from players like Carpenter who begin camp third on the depth chart.:rolleyes:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Alexander;2159907 said:
I have heard of many "big years" from players like Carpenter who begin camp third on the depth chart.:rolleyes:

well, we kind of have an odd situation at ILB -- if James were to miss time, Thomas would likely move to his spot. So there really is only one backup that is a legit #2 on the chart

sago1

Reaction score
Not sure that Zack is suited for James' slot. Actually I don't think we really have a primary backup behind James. Hope somebody steps up to fill that job.

Can understand Wade moving Justin Rogers inside. Now some might say that just means Rogers wasn't that good as an OLB but it could also mean there's too much talent there for Rogers to compete against & Wade likes Rogers play enough to move him inside where he could find a legit role for him as a backup ILB this year but much more in 1-2 years. Of course Welden could also be a factor at inside or outside and it will be real interesting to see where Wade decides to start him off at.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Rey Maualuga, Brian Cushing, James Laurinitis.

Too many good ILBs with "great" potential coming out next draft to pass one up. Also a ton of blue chip 3-4 OLBs as well (Johnson, Selvie, Orakpo, English).

Time for Dallas to build a LB corps for the ages.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
BAT;2160188 said:
Rey Maualuga, Brian Cushing, James Laurinitis.

Too many good ILBs with "great" potential coming out next draft to pass one up. Also a ton of blue chip 3-4 OLBs as well (Johnson, Selvie, Orakpo, English).

Time for Dallas to build a LB corps for the ages.

I'd be willing to bet that Lauriniatis and Maualuga will be gone by the 15th pick next year...it's going to cost us if we want one of those two.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
sago1;2159939 said:
Not sure that Zack is suited for James' slot. Actually I don't think we really have a primary backup behind James. Hope somebody steps up to fill that job.

I think there have been several articles noting that if James went down Zach would likely move over since Burnett plays his spot and is far more developed than Carp - wow, that is saying something b/c I think Burnett is not so great.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
tomson75;2160190 said:
I'd be willing to bet that Lauriniatis and Maualuga will be gone by the 15th pick next year...it's going to cost us if we want one of those two.

I love Maualuga -- he play HS ball around where I live -- he was an absolute monster - a man among boys - sometimes his play reminded me of the Seinfeld where Kramer is in a karate class with little kids.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
abersonc;2160195 said:
I love Maualuga -- he play HS ball around where I live -- he was an absolute monster - a man among boys - sometimes his play reminded me of the Seinfeld where Kramer is in a karate class with little kids.

I'd love either of those two. They've been two of my favorite players for the last two years.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
tomson75;2160202 said:
I'd love either of those two. They've been two of my favorite players for the last two years.

That is obvious, you are likely one of the only people who actually spell those names.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
tomson75;2160190 said:

You could be right, but there are so many blue chippers eligible next year (especially at pass rusher, Oline, DB & WR), very likely one of these guys at the unglamorous ILB spot are pushed down low enough for Jerry to move up to get.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Carp may have a big year this year but odds are that he will have a so-so year as a Dolphin. I don't think Carp makes the cuts this year or he may get traded for a 6th rd pick.