(5) 159 - OG Jermon Bushrod Towson St.

(6) 195 - DT LaRon Harris Northwestern Oklahoma St

(6) 200 - FB Le'Ron McClain Alabama

(7) 212 - C Dustin Fry Clemson

(7) 234 - CB Geoffrey Pope Howard

(7) 237 - QB Justin Rascati James Madison

dmoore

Reaction score
I'm not really trying to be rude, but why would we trade down twice? Do we really need 13 picks? I like Hill, but why not stay at 22 and get a WR who's better? Or use some of the picks in the later rounds to move up in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
12 picks...

why trade down twice?

cause there were 6-8 players I was coveting from the middle second through the 4th and we only had 3 picks...so now instead of having only 3 first day picks....we would have 5.

I like my mock because it is an assembly of quality prospects....

IMO the only question marks of my draft are the CBs.....however, I keep reading very good things about that Coe kid....and Pope is an absolute burner (KR prospect here)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Zak DeOssie and Brian Robison? My freak athlete fetish would go into overdrive.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Don't discount Weddle........from all I am hearing and reading, he has the skill set to be a really good FS in the NFL....in other words....he doesn't play strong enough at the LOS to be a SS, but he is awesome in centerfield (something we have lacked since the loss of Woody).

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
I really don't like Jason Hill as our first pick. I am nowhere near convinced that the guy has the separation ability to succeed in the NFL. Alot of people compare him to Chad Johnson and I just don't see it. In the past two years he's had 10 games of less than 70 yards. Even last year in his "big year" almost 25% of his yards came from one game. Not to mention the fact that he doesn't play anywhere near his timed speed.

Weddle is a really good pick, and so is Robinson.

I'm not sure how I feel about Coe, it's a pick that scare me. He's not overly athletic and while he played very well as a senior it was against a very low level of competition. He certainly has some potential but I'd feel more comfortable taking a more athletic prospect if we go the small school CB route. Not entirely against this pick though, just on the fence, I do realize he has potential though. I'd probably be on board for this.

DeOssie and Barbre are great picks.

I think Bushrod is a little weak and is a longterm project, not really sure if he'd be slotted at G or at T. Kind of a weak pick I think.

I know nothing about Laron Harris.

Thumbs up on Mclain and Fry. Pope is a fine late round pick and I love the Rascati pick.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We already have two FS on the roster in Hamlin and Watkins. Why draft another? That's just a wasted pick.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1462175 said:
We already have two FS on the roster in Hamlin and Watkins. Why draft another? That's just a wasted pick.

Cause Hamlin's coming off of a down year and was signed to a 1 year deal and because Watkins hasn't showed much?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1462175 said:

No proven long term answer at the position. I am OK drafting a FS anywhere but the first round.

If Wade plays some sort of 3-3-5 nickel, then it'd be nice to have another safety that can cover since I'd imagine Roy would be one of the 3 nickel LBs.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
masomenos85;1462181 said:
Cause Hamlin's coming off of a down year and was signed to a 1 year deal and because Watkins hasn't showed much?

Hello?

Go rewatch the last few games of the season when Watkins was again named the starter.

Even Darren Woodson has said that Watkins is the man at FS.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1462332 said:
Hello?

Go rewatch the last few games of the season when Watkins was again named the starter.

Even Darren Woodson has said that Watkins is the man at FS.

Hello, lol.

You say to go watch the last few games...and I said he hasn't shown much...a few games = not much. I didn't say Watkins hasn't shown anything or that he will never be good.

And it's good that Woodson says that, because Dallas was so confident in Watkins that they brought in a free agent at the position and have interviewed 3 of the top 4 FS's in the draft.

COWBOYSNUM1

Reaction score
I like the idea of trading down, but I would rather pick up a 1st next year than extra picks this year. Maybe something similar to what we did with the Bills a few years back.

We already have 10 and I don't think we will end up with all of them.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
junk;1462183 said:
No proven long term answer at the position. I am OK drafting a FS anywhere but the first round.

If Wade plays some sort of 3-3-5 nickel, then it'd be nice to have another safety that can cover since I'd imagine Roy would be one of the 3 nickel LBs.
For what it's woth in his old playbook he didn't really have any 3-3-5. He had some traditional nickel and dime packages. But what's interesting is that he had some nickel packages with a sort of "46" defense lineup. In these packages one of the linebacker positions is played by a safety. I guess in a way that's a 3-3-5, but it's really quite strange.

http://img337.*************/img337/2809/defensexz2.png

On a side note, notice the Jack backer manned up on the TE. That happens quite a bit in his nickel and dime packages. Images of Bradie James manned up are making me sick...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
masomenos85;1462348 said:
Hello, lol.

You say to go watch the last few games...and I said he hasn't shown much...a few games = not much. I didn't say Watkins hasn't shown anything or that he will never be good.

And it's good that Woodson says that, because Dallas was so confident in Watkins that they brought in a free agent at the position and have interviewed 3 of the top 4 FS's in the draft.

The FA you speak of came "dirt cheap" and for only one season so there must be some confidence in Watkins.

Interviews? They've interviewed many prospects-- big deal.

Right now there are 5 safties on the roster... how many you want--10? 12?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1462523 said:
For what it's woth in his old playbook he didn't really have any 3-3-5. He had some traditional nickel and dime packages. But what's interesting is that he had some nickel packages with a sort of "46" defense lineup. In these packages one of the linebacker positions is played by a safety. I guess in a way that's a 3-3-5, but it's really quite strange.

http://img337.*************/img337/2809/defensexz2.png

On a side note, notice the Jack backer manned up on the TE. That happens quite a bit in his nickel and dime packages. Images of Bradie James manned up are making me sick...

I don't think James is going to be a 3 down linebacker this season. I would look for Burnett to replace James in that situation.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1462575 said:
I don't think James is going to be a 3 down linebacker this season. I would look for Burnett to replace James in that situation.
If Carp isn't moved inside, I'd expect to see Burnett replacing James in just about every situation. :D

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
So why cant we have Roy, Hamlin, Watkins, Weddle, and either Elam or Davis as our safeties...

honestly, what is wrong with having talent coming off our bench?

I havent completely finalized my mock.....

I actually had 4 different versions of this mock in my head with various other players like G/T Justin Blalock, OT Tony Ugoh, OG Manny Ramirez, OG Andy Alleman, WR Anthony Gonzalez, CB Usama Young, and RB Michael Bush all making at least one appearance in one of the 4 mocks.

However, Weddle, Robison, DeOssie, Fry and McClain are mainstays on all 4 mocks.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Biggems;1462947 said:
So why cant we have Roy, Hamlin, Watkins, Weddle, and either Elam or Davis as our safeties...

honestly, what is wrong with having talent coming off our bench?

I havent completely finalized my mock.....

I actually had 4 different versions of this mock in my head with various other players like G/T Justin Blalock, OT Tony Ugoh, OG Manny Ramirez, OG Andy Alleman, WR Anthony Gonzalez, CB Usama Young, and RB Michael Bush all making at least one appearance in one of the 4 mocks.

However, Weddle, Robison, DeOssie, Fry and McClain are mainstays on all 4 mocks.

I would consider safety only after we secured talent at the following positions:

WR
CB
Guard/Tackle
Center
"Tweener"

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1462952 said:
I would consider safety only after we secured talent at the following positions:

WR
CB
Guard/Tackle
Center
"Tweener"

your opinion is noted, but you wont change my mind....i like my mock for the most part...

I like Weddle and want him in Big D.....good thing for you that I am not the GM....hehehehe

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Biggems;1462958 said:
your opinion is noted, but you wont change my mind....i like my mock for the most part...

I like Weddle and want him in Big D.....good thing for you that I am not the GM....hehehehe

You are correct sir. :)