Biggest Improvement Over Last Year?

DBoys

Reaction score
I would have to say coaching...

I have been so impressed with our halftime adjustments. Last year we would do the same stuff over and over and never adapt. We lost a lot of games that way and I hated BP for it. It was quite obvious the team lost all trust in the coaching staff. I swear if our team was on a pirate ship there would of been a mutiny and BP would of walked the plank. I give props to BP for getting the talent and turning the organization around. Unfortunately the game changed on him and he refused to change with it.

Wade n co. interact with players, Wade allows his coaches to coach, and you can just feel the team vibe. The players feel like they contribute and have input to the game plan. A pefect example is TO recommending more slants. Garrett listens and incorporates it into the game plan. By doing this TO had a HUGE game against PHI. Not to mention how much that means to TO that his coach trusts him. TO has complained about this his entire career and honestly I don't blame him. Has TO finally found a home where he is allowed to flourish?

This kind of atmosphere brings about creativity, aggressiveness, happiness, and trust.

In my opinion this is one of the best coaching staffs the Cowboys have ever assembled.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gurode and the playcalling.

gazmc_06

Reaction score
I agree completely about coaching, last year we suffered from running plays that were pretty conservative and only supposed to move the chains. this year the freedom is there, Wade listens to others, allows Garrett to be creative with plays which is resulting in an amazing offense, we take chances with pressure on defence...it's all very good. when we start slow we review why at half time and come out a totally different team, we have blown teams away in the second half all year because we have switched it up to take advantage of what they are doing.

T.O. has most definitely found his home, a coach that listens to him, respects him, involves him and most importantly likes him. in return he likes, trusts and respects Wade. the coaching staff deserve HUGE credit for what's happening.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I can't point to just any one thing.

It just seems like everything is falling right into place. It has the looks of a perfect storm .....

Coaching schemes, overall atmosphere and team chemistry, key additions on the roster, additional experience for the younger players, momentum building as previously injuried players rejoin the line up, and so on ....

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Forget Parcells for a minute -- he's too polarizing a figure for some people to think straight. Just look at the assistant coaches:

OC: Jason Garrett vs. Sparano/Haley/Parcells -- Adv. 07
DC: Phillips/Stewart vs. Zimmer -- Massive Adv. 07
Special Teams: Bruce Read vs. Bruce DeHaven: Adv. 06
O-line, D-line, OLBs, secondary: Push (no change)
ILBs: Dat vs. Vincent Brown: Adv. 07
WRs: Todd "Rat" Haley vs. Ray Sherman: Massive Adv. 07
TEs: John Garrett vs. Freddie Kitchens: Massive Adv. 07
RBs: Skip Peete vs. last year: Slight Adv. 06

So in all, this year's staff is much better.

And just on the field, I'd say the three differences are

1. Romo's maturity,
2. O-line improvement, and
3. Somehow improving both the pass rush and giving up fewer big plays at the same time.

zeromaster

Reaction score
1a. Coaching
1b. OL
1c. More experience for Romo.

Enjoy the ride, NFL. We're just getting started...

:chainsaw:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Play calling
2. O-line play (specifically C and RG)
3. New 3-4 scheme under WP

VACowboy

Reaction score
Top 5:

1. OL
2. Pass Rush
3. OL
4. Pass Rush
5a. OL
5b. Pass Rush

cnhnyy

Reaction score
DEFENSE.

Last year, we simply could not close out games or make a stop when we had to.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
DBoys;1761393 said:
I would have to say coaching...

I have been so impressed with our halftime adjustments. Last year we would do the same stuff over and over and never adapt. We lost a lot of games that way and I hated BP for it. It was quite obvious the team lost all trust in the coaching staff. I swear if our team was on a pirate ship there would of been a mutiny and BP would of walked the plank. I give props to BP for getting the talent and turning the organization around. Unfortunately the game changed on him and he refused to change with it.

Wade n co. interact with players, Wade allows his coaches to coach, and you can just feel the team vibe. The players feel like they contribute and have input to the game plan. A pefect example is TO recommending more slants. Garrett listens and incorporates it into the game plan. By doing this TO had a HUGE game against PHI. Not to mention how much that means to TO that his coach trusts him. TO has complained about this his entire career and honestly I don't blame him. Has TO finally found a home where he is allowed to flourish?

This kind of atmosphere brings about creativity, aggressiveness, happiness, and trust.

In my opinion this is one of the best coaching staffs the Cowboys have ever assembled.

Attitude.

Guys are having fun and not stressing when they make mistakes.

kmd24

Reaction score
In order of importance:

1. Bradie James hasn't been put in exploitable positions this year. He's playing great. That was the single biggest flaw with the team during the late season slide.
  2. The pass protection is much improved.
  3. The offense is more creative, especially with respect to using TO.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Watching this team, this year...the aggressiveness on Offense. I guess that's Jason Garrett:)

To me all points point to that, the O just puts the pedal to the metal and doesn't relent.

The O line play, especially Gurode (who I thought was just terrible coming into the season) has played spectacularly.

As far as the D, pressure and coverage! I think Reeves and Henry have done very well.

Mostly though, the coaches have put players in a position to succeed.