Biggest Position Need?

cnuball21

Reaction score
So they can sit the bench behind Coop and CD? ?

They can draft a TE that would be dynamic and start.

So I will respectfully disagree.

I think they take a guy they think will start at LB, DE, or FS personally. DE, I am pretty sure if they don't resign Gregory.

You can get a starting TE in the mid rounds…just like we did with a Schultz.

WR is a premium position and you need 3 quality starters in today’s NFL. We’re about to lose Gallup to FA so I’d take a WR over a TE all day early.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
You can get a starting TE in the mid rounds…just like we did with a Schultz.

WR is a premium position and you need 3 quality starters in today’s NFL. We’re about to lose Gallup to FA so I’d take a WR over a TE all day early.
Dynamic TE's are much more needed today than a 3rd WR that can be picked up in FA pretty easily. Desean Jackson has been available how many times in FA?

You have Semi and Vasher who might play the role, or you can pick one up in the 3rd or 4th like Cole Beasley usually pretty easily. That quick guy without size, or the size guy without quickness but has speed. 3rd WR are nice, but not necessary when you have a dynamic TE.

Getting a TE that could block AND run/catch would take the offense to a new level if he could improve the running game as well. Getting another WR wouldn't change anything. IMO, 3rd WR are not game changers, but a dynamic TE can be.

In fact, I hope Dallas drafts 2 TE's in the next draft. As well as 2 LB's.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Dynamic TE's are much more needed today than a 3rd WR that can be picked up in FA pretty easily. Desean Jackson has been available how many times in FA?

You have Semi and Vasher who might play the role, or you can pick one up in the 3rd or 4th like Cole Beasley usually pretty easily. That quick guy without size, or the size guy without quickness but has speed. 3rd WR are nice, but not necessary when you have a dynamic TE.

Getting a TE that could block AND run/catch would take the offense to a new level if he could improve the running game as well. Getting another WR wouldn't change anything. IMO, 3rd WR are not game changers, but a dynamic TE can be.

Disagree…Schultz is on pace to be one of the top 10 receiving TEs in football and he was a mid rounder. Way easier to do that than find that can kind of WR production in the mid rounds.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Still believe a safety is the 1st priority although probably has been for a number of years. Finding a guy that can take over for Smith at LT is my #1. Believe we see Steele take over at RT and Collins moved to LG which would give us a strong line. Biadasz seems to be improving each year and hopefully next year will really improve or it becomes a position of need. Smith is a great LT but his time is now limited and we need someone in the wings to step in without any loss of productivity. We need a line that can pass block very well but it must be a line that can be road graders first. It should always be at least 3 or 4 yards per run instead of no gain or tackled for loss.

If we get back to that line then no one, absolutely no one would stop this offense or defense!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree…Schultz is on pace to be one of the top 10 receiving TEs in football and he was a mid rounder. Way easier to do that than find that can kind of WR production in the mid rounds.
Schultz benefits from the Cowboys WRs getting all of the attention in coverage.

Also, he sucks as a blocker.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thing that makes the most sense from a cap and draft resource perspective is to start Steele at RT and move Collins to LG.
That has to be a consideration considering that there appears to be minimal drop-off when Steele plays RT as compared to La'el.

La'el does not appear to be an option at LT and Steele is far better at RT than at LT.

If they draft an interior OL, it really should be an OC that can also play OG.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OT appears to have back ups for next year, Steele. and Ball .
Give a top three pick on a solid guard prospect.
We’re short at LB,Edge
Kicker 6th rd or so
If they draft an interior OL in the top 3 rounds, I would prefer an OC that can also play OG.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still believe a safety is the 1st priority although probably has been for a number of years. Finding a guy that can take over for Smith at LT is my #1. Believe we see Steele take over at RT and Collins moved to LG which would give us a strong line. Biadasz seems to be improving each year and hopefully next year will really improve or it becomes a position of need. Smith is a great LT but his time is now limited and we need someone in the wings to step in without any loss of productivity. We need a line that can pass block very well but it must be a line that can be road graders first. It should always be at least 3 or 4 yards per run instead of no gain or tackled for loss.

If we get back to that line then no one, absolutely no one would stop this offense or defense!

I wonder if the Cowboys will always prefer veterans at Safety.

It is a difficult position to evaluate in the draft. There are many DB that have the physical ability to play Safety but only a few that have the instincts/intelligence.

The Realist

Reaction score
If they draft an interior OL in the top 3 rounds, I would prefer an OC that can also play OG.

I’d prefer a guy who starts there for 8-10 years with multiple Pro Bowls/All Pro….like Travis was on track for.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I think there’s a real chance neither Zeke or Pollard are on the roster after next year. Zeke might be a cap casualty and Pollard is likely getting an upgraded contract from someone else.

RB could be something to see in the third day.

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
Not sure the BAP will be a O-Men there late in the 1st round when it comes to the OL. Rounds 2/3/4 is when hopefully the Cowboys load up on some O-Men

kskboys

Reaction score

And if you want to win a super bowl, the biggest need is a highly disruptive DT.

Verdict

Reaction score
I am a big proponent of making a team better by improving their overall score (to do this you have to be able to honestly grade the current guys you have). If you can take a guy you have graded on your current team as a 50 and upgrade him with a guy from the draft that graded 85, you have improved the overall ability of the team if the coaches can figure out how to utilize him.

With that said, salary cap and numbers do come into play.

Which position do you think is the one that we should be looking to upgrade the most?

Here is how I see it.
As far as FA goes, hope they resign some of their own -- and one big splash signing of Von Miller.
QB -- they have Dak and too much money tied up in him. They will make no major changes here. Changes to backup QB at the very best but most likely no changes.
RB -- they have Zeke in a position it would cost too much to cut and Pollard under contract. No changes
WR -- they have Coop and CeeDee under contract. A development in Simi. A project is Vasher. Maybe a pick, but I can't see it being to high with your #1 and #2 WR already locked up.
OL -- Smith, McGovern, Biadasz, Martin, LCollins, Steele, Ball, Farinok, Alarcon, Hyatt, ACollins -- developmental guy I am guessing. If they think Ball can take Smith place eventually or LCollins can move that side -- I don't see too much need here. Bigger need at G than T -- or need to churn.
TE -- Sprinkle and Jarwin with a maybe (no for me) on the resign of Schultz--- this is a position I think they need to upgrade badly. Possible #1 or #2 pick.
DE -- Lawrence and hopefully a resigned Gregory. Then you have Basham and Gholston still under contract, and Anae and Armstrong as resign possibilities. Watkins is a possible resign. I still think they should sign Von Miller and bring him home and move Lawrence inside some but I don't see them using high draft capital on DE IF they resign Gregory. This changes if Gregory not resigned.
DT -- Gallimore, Hill, Osa, Bohanna, Faoliu -- Watkins a possible resign (plays both DT and DE). I think they could find a upgrade here. Possible 1-4 round draft pick. If they wait till the later rounds I hope they pick up Siaki Ika from Baylor -- huge guy who will at least DEMAND a double team -- not sure about his quickness, nor motor -- but if they are looking for a moving trashcan full of dirt -- he can play that role.
LB -- Parsons, Cox -- maybe resign Neal, and Bernard........Big Need and Yes if they can find a guy who can play beside Parson so he can free lance.........you might have the starting of something special. #1 or #2 round pick -- if that guy is available.
CB -- Diggs, Joseph, Brown, Lewis are all under contract. Wright, Robinson, Canady, KBrown -- 4th or lower is my expectation. Can't improve too much here.
S -- Kearse resigned hopefully, Wilson, Mukuamu --- maybe Hooker or Kazee resigned, Coyle. I can only see a big increase if they have BPA as a FS. So unless their board has on FS they think will start, I think they would find one 4th or below.

So from what I am seeing, they really need to look at LB, TE, and DT in the top three rounds with any of these dropping the DT to lower if they see another OL or FS (as BPA and will be starting by mid season at least next year). So in order -- LB, TE, DT, FS, OL in a perfect, it fell their way draft.

What position do you think Dallas should be looking to upgrade in the top of the draft?
I’m not knocking your “needs” list, but I’m not basing a draft on needs. I’m going BPA every round or trading.

Needs:

1. I think you could upgrade any position on the OL other than Martin. The rest are dicey at best. You don’t pass on a stud OL if he falls in your lap.

2. DT. I am of the opinion that playoff teams usually have a very strong DL, especially in the interior. Those guys seldom last past the top 10 but if you find one you grab one.

3. Linebacker. It would be easy to upgrade one of the spots over what we have now, other than Parsons. But those guys are like RBs.. you can find one anywhere in the draft if you sift through the chaff.

4. RB. Here is where I think the need is higher than most. I love Zeke but his best days are behind him. Pollard is a free agent after 2022. I could see Zeke and Pollard moving on after next year. Zeke could easily be a cap casualty. Pollard is not an every down back.

You need a potential bell cow back to replace Pollard and Zeke after next year and you don’t want an inexperienced rookie starting and giving teams a free release to pound your $40M QB. The need here is medium to high.

5. TE. High need. Schultz will get paid and we don’t really have a stud blocking TE. They will be looking for a a Schultz clone.

6. Kicker. Plan on the Cowboys drafting a kicker sometime after round 4, if a really good one shows up on the radar. Greg the Leg is probably a goner.

7. We don’t “need” a receiver, per se, but we will need to replace Gallup AND Amari’s cap number puts some pressure on the position.

8. We need at least one really good safety.

That’s how I see the needs shaking out, unless we have cap casualties.

But again, I wouldn’t draft based on need. I would go BPA pretty much all the way.