Bill Belichick

yimyammer

Reaction score
I heard about him years ago when I saw a football life with Belicheck. Thanks for the link! Great article.

Isn't it? I find their story fascinating.

those two have been obsessing about football since they met in high school their senior year

SINCE.FRIGGIN.HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!

and both have worked their way up from the proverbial mail room since the early 70's

No wonder they're light years ahead of the rest of the league

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm as big a Cowboys fan as anybody you'll ever meet, but I'm amazed at what Belichick is able to do, year in and year out, in New England.

What has he figured out that nobody else in the league is able to grasp?

For as much parity there is, and as unpredictable each team will be each year, New England has consistently been a Super Bowl threat for 15+ years.

Surely he doesn't just know football better than anyone else. What's his secret? (Tom Brady can't be your answer :)).

If you work 8 to 5 Mon-Friday and your co-worker works 5am to midnight 7 days per week, who gets promoted?

Belicheck lives and breathes football every minute while other coaches spend time with their families.

diefree666

Reaction score
BB would not be as successful if he did not have Brady. Now HOW MUCH of his success is due to that IS the question.

He outworks pretty much everyone else in Football so frankly I would attribute that as the other big part of his success.

Sure he has made mistakes; in games and with personnel. But fewer than anyone else. Another factor.

And that he clearly is quite happy to try and break rules or narrowly skirt them is another factor.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Random thought, I think another factor contributing to Belichick's dominance is that as football schemes become more complex, and the rule book becomes more convoluted, the value of elite coaching over average coaching just gets bigger and bigger. Almost no coach can fully understand the game as it exists now that it has become a tangle of elaborate schemes on top of elaborate schemes, and the refs themselves have trouble just assimilating all the weird subjective rules larding up the rulebook. Coaches trying to keep up with Belichick either try to keep it simple and have rings run around them, or try to match his scheming and end up doing something really stupid because they're pushing too hard and have lost sight of basic common sense, like "let's take a 7 step drop on 3rd & short when we just need to run out the clock to win" or "let's throw a goal line slant to a special teams scrub from the 1 yard line when we have the best power back and best run-pass QB in the league, and also all our other receivers are better than the designed target for this play."