Bill blew it by punting in overtime

illhurtya

Reaction score
If McCarthy was in that exact same situation and he had gone for it and failed the same people claiming Belichick should have gone for it would have been ready to call in the lynch mob on Big Mike.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Patriots averaged 10.9 yards per pass attempt today (this stat excludes sacks)
The Patriots averaged 4.4 yards per rush attempt

So what did Belichick do in overtime needing just 3 yards with the Pats at their own 46?

He did what other traditional dinosaur coaches do: punted. Surrendered the ball for 34 yards of field, which wasn't likely to matter to the Cowboys offense, which gobbled up 567 yards on the day.

The sport is getting smarter. People like Bill...are not.
you a pats fan

JayFord

Reaction score
im not going for it in my territory and if i dont pick it up all Dallas needs is 10 yards for a easy fg

punt it and let the defense do its job and if they cant oh well

and the Pats defense wasnt bad yesterday our offense is just that good

T-RO

Reaction score
Well all the rhetorical reasons you claim the"gotta punt" will use are about as logical as the premise the op gives for saying bill shouldn't have punted because that is solely based on the probability of him making it and the 20/20 vision we now have. At least the punt it crowd has years of stats and risk calculations to base there opinion on.

The analytics community doesn't use rhetoric, nor rely on small sample Monday quarterbacking.

The punt-it crowd is emphatically ignoring "years of stats and risk calculations."

T-RO

Reaction score
This makes no sense. Every coach in the league would punt on 4 & 3 in the same spot.

You seriously aren't paying attention to today's NFL.
-Chargers have gone for it on 4th down in their own territory about ten times already this season.
-Ravens, Chiefs, Bucs, Chargers, Browns no doubt go for it...their coaches trust the data and their offenses
-In week two of this season NFL teams went for it 4th down 35 times!

-Many in Patriots Media slam Bill's conservative calls:

T-RO

Reaction score
I also hate that we won...

I'm enjoying the win 300% more:
-We were the better team on the day and won an exciting game
-Bill and the Pats get exposed, and refs couldn't swing game hard enough
-I get to chuckle at the dinosaurs.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
So guys complain about McCarthy going for it but say Bill made a mistake by not going for it......... flip floppers

Havic

Reaction score
The Cowboys punted once in this game. Once.

The other times where the Cowboys did not complete drives were ones where they failed to execute - missed FG, interception in end zone, fumble in the end zone, stop on the first drive on downs.

If Belichick punted thinking his defense would hold, he wasn't paying attention to how the game was going. Horrible error on his part. Go down swinging when you are playing a superior opponent who can close you out on their next drive.

I dont think he has that level of trust in his QB yet. If that was Brady back there, no doubt in my mind he goes for it.

T-RO

Reaction score
So guys complain about McCarthy going for it but say Bill made a mistake by not going for it......... flip floppers

I'm not complaining about McCarthy going for it...except that he didn't do it enough!

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
I dont think he has that level of trust in his QB yet. If that was Brady back there, no doubt in my mind he goes for it.

Quite possibly some truth to that, but Jones has been completing 70% of his passes, getting the ball out quick and smart. There are so many little pass plays to get three yards in the middle of the field.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It was the right call to punt. I don’t care what the stats say. You don’t go for it there.
Not caring what the data says is why teams lose.

It's a terrible approach to pretty much anything in life in fact.

T-RO

Reaction score

For thirty years the analytics have been saying "Go for it" in many game situations that old school types would be shocked at. Some coaches are finally catching on...and for the most part they are the coaches that are winning. (Reid, Arians, Staley, Stefanski, etc)

You can mindlessly "LOL" it like a Neanderthal or you can learn something.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-teams-...ver-but-still-not-often-enough-163650973.html
https://www.nfl.com/news/introducin...sion-guide-a-new-analytics-tool-for-fourth-do
https://www.nfl.com/videos/next-gen-stats-how-4th-down-decisions-have-shaped-the-2020-playoffs

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
The Patriots averaged 10.9 yards per pass attempt today (this stat excludes sacks)
The Patriots averaged 4.4 yards per rush attempt

So what did Belichick do in overtime needing just 3 yards with the Pats at their own 46?

He did what other traditional dinosaur coaches do: punted. Surrendered the ball for 34 yards of field, which wasn't likely to matter to the Cowboys offense, which gobbled up 567 yards on the day.

The sport is getting smarter. People like Bill...are not.

I guess he’ll go home and mull it over before he falls asleep on his bed made out of championship rings.