Bill Cowher

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Defensive minded... Disciplinarian... Not afraid to spit in a guy's face as he is foaming at the mouth while delivering corrective instruction...

It seems that Garrett might benefit from some continued seasoning as the OC. He really needs to have that offense clicking on all cylinders before taking over the HC spot. What are the thoughts on getting a proven HC in here that has also won in the postseason? His first move could be to fire Brian Stewart. That guy is seriously in over his head right now...

Wade is really beginning to get under my skin. Maybe it's just me...

<flame retardant suit on>

Eskimo

Reaction score
I would love to bring in Cowher next year but I'm not sure if he's interested in leaving the booth.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2333133 said:
Defensive minded... Disciplinarian... Not afraid to spit in a guy's face as he is foaming at the mouth while delivering corrective instruction...

It seems that Garrett might benefit from some continued seasoning as the OC. He really needs to have that offense clicking on all cylinders before taking over the HC spot. What are the thoughts on getting a proven HC in here that has also won in the postseason? His first move could be to fire Brian Stewart. That guy is seriously in over his head right now...

Wade is really beginning to get under my skin. Maybe it's just me...

<flame retardant suit on>

You mean the same guy who choked away 3 AFC Title games AT HOME(and barely squeaked away a 4th against a lightweight Indy team in '95)? The same guy who needed THE REFS to squeak past a lightweight Hawks team in the Super Bowl? The same guy who's stubbornly plays old-school Joe Gibbs football?

BTW-Chuck Knoll was quite the contrary-emotionLESS. But, en yet, he won 4 Super Bowls.

No thanks!

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cowher is a Steeler through and through.

I cannot see him ever working for the Cowboys.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Boysboy;2333153 said:
You mean the same guy who choked away 3 AFC Title games AT HOME(and barely squeaked away a 4th against a lightweight Indy team in '95)? The same guy who needed THE REFS to squeak past a lightweight Hawks team in the Super Bowl? The same guy who's stubbornly plays old-school Joe Gibbs football?

BTW-Chuck Knoll was quite the contrary-emotionLESS. But, en yet, he won 4 Super Bowls.

No thanks!

The guy is a consistent winner who plays old-school hardnosed football. That is something that we could desperately use around here. If you don't think he was successful, then you have a distorted view of what successful is. He made it to 2 Superbowls and won one. Heck, he made it to the Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnell as his QB.

He is a great coach and he is not washed up like Parcells was when he was brought here. Wade is just a coordinator - he cannot lead a team.

Reaction score
Cowher is EXACTLY what this team needs...

Too bad it will never happen. Garret will get job and team will still underachieve... until team is too old and will have to rebuild again.

Eskimo

Reaction score
zrinkill;2333155 said:

That's what people said about BP and his Northeast roots. When talent like that exists, you do what you have to do to bring them in.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Eskimo;2333144 said:
I would love to bring in Cowher next year but I'm not sure if he's interested in leaving the booth.

Have you seen him on the panel? He is up there with his nose up in the air.... pretty much dismissing the others and their comments. He thinks he is hot stuff. He is expecting a payday as HC.

Boysboy;2333153 said:

No thanks!

Agreed 100%. Only thing I like is hard core, disciplinary approach.

zrinkill;2333155 said:

Exactly! Bill Parcells is a Giant for life, they hate the Cowboys he could never coach the Cowboys.... oh, wait.

It could happen... its very possible that it happens.
Cowher is in the NFL business... he will take the Cowboys HC position.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would LOVE to see Cowher take over as HC. Redball might not like that. But there isn't any question in my mind he could make our defense much more effective.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Eskimo;2333164 said:
The guy is a consistent winner who plays old-school hardnosed football. That is something that we could desperately use around here. If you don't think he was successful, then you have a distorted view of what successful is. He made it to 2 Superbowls and won one. Heck, he made it to the Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnell as his QB.

He is a great coach and he is not washed up like Parcells was when he was brought here. Wade is just a coordinator - he cannot lead a team.

Like I said-I wouldn't hold your breath-he plays the same style of football Joe Gibbs plays. Just plain old-school and doesn't look for alot of matchups. I don't mind this philosophy at all, but assuming he gets hired by someone next year, it will be THREE years since he was out of the game, and, of course, he won't be up-to-date with the current schemes.

Believe me-if he comes here, we'll be criticizing him alot more than Wade.

BTW-he also had Jerome Bettis on his team-someone with leadership, fire, and passion on the field, sidelines, AND in the locker room. We do NOT have that someone here.

Hailmary

Reaction score
You can't have Cowher and Garrett. It will have to be one or the other.

If Cowher's brought in, it will be for the long haul and Garrett's not going to want to be an OC for much longer, no matter what Jerry's paying him.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Boysboy;2333186 said:
Like I said-I wouldn't hold your breath-he plays the same style of football Joe Gibbs plays. Just plain old-school and doesn't look for alot of matchups. I don't mind this philosophy at all, but assuming he gets hired by someone next year, it will be THREE years since he was out of the game, and, of course, he won't be up-to-date with the current schemes.

Believe me-if he comes here, we'll be criticizing him alot more than Wade.

BTW-he also had Jerome Bettis on his team-someone with leadership, fire, and passion on the field, sidelines, AND in the locker room. We do NOT have that someone here.

You do realize that he just recently won the SB - that means the style he plays still works.

BP was just stuck in his ways. Cowher is defnitely more willing to experiment.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Just to clarify... The main premise would be to bring him in to fix this defense while it's still relatively young. The offense would be the full responsibility of Jason Garrett. So there would be no fear of any "old school Joe Gibbs" style offense because that would not be Cowher's primary area of responsibility.

Now, that said, should he have the leverage to light a fire under Jason Garrett as HC? Absofreakinglutely...

Eskimo

Reaction score
Hailmary;2333193 said:
You can't have Cowher and Garrett. It will have to be one or the other.

If Cowher's brought in, it will be for the long haul and Garrett's not going to want to be an OC for much longer, no matter what Jerry's paying him.

Cowher >>> Garrett

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dumb comparison.

Bill Parcells has no loyalty to anything as a coach.

He was a Giant

then a Patriot

then a Jet

then a Cowboy

Now a Dolphin

Cowher was a Steeler for 14 years. He is a legend for that team.

I just do not see it.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Eskimo;2333194 said:
You do realize that he just recently won the SB - that means the style he plays still works.

BP was just stuck in his ways. Cowher is defnitely more willing to experiment.

Yeah-with TONS of help from the zebras. Bettis was going to retire, it was no coincidence at all. Otherwise, the Pitt game plan looked lost and the Hawks were gashing them up and down the field, only to get screwed quite a bit.

BTW-if that Pitt defender didn't take a cheap shot on Carson Palmer in the WC game, the Bengals would have won by double digits.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Eskimo;2333197 said:
Cowher >>> Garrett

I'm not saying who would be better for the team, just pointing out to those who think that we can have both that it's not happening if Cowher's brought in.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2333195 said:
Just to clarify... The main premise would be to bring him in to fix this defense while it's still relatively young. The offense would be the full responsibility of Jason Garrett. So there would be no fear of any "old school Joe Gibbs" style offense because that would not be Cowher's primary area of responsibility.

That won't work. Most defensive-minded coaches (and I'm surprised Wade isn't more like this, honestly) want to run the "complementary style" game Parcells always talked about where you control the ball on offense to help out your defense. You can't throw it every down and expect your defense to look great, because quick possessions will get them worn down.

And are you sure Cowher would put up with your fave TO? I'm not. ;)

Finally, Jerry loves being back in control after four years of Parcells. I don't think he's going to give that control back to another strong-willed coach like Cowher unless we have another disastrous few years. And maybe not even then.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I know a lot don't like him but my hope, a couple years ago, was that BP would comeback for one more year and then Jerry some how talk Cowher out of retirement before this season. I wouldn't mind Cowher coaching here but I think if Wade winds up out of Dallas I figure they're giving the reigns to Garrett.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2333262 said:
And are you sure Cowher would put up with your fave TO? I'm not. ;)

Yes. Winning championships is about compromise. It's bigger than a Cowher or a TO.