Bill Parcells QB commandments

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
The commandments apply to a qb who hasn’t won. Brady is a celebrity qb as was Peyton Manning, Rodgers, etc

diefree666

Reaction score
Sure he did. He absolutely did. He could have gone out in the draft and got one or in FA. He evaluated Carter and made the decision that he was going with Carter as his franchise QB. And yes that was rather miraculous. If I remember correctly it was Zimmer that had the #1 ranked defense that year. Albeit in yards only. Part of that was that we couldnt score points with Bonger at QB.
actually you are completely and totally wrong but then I do get amused by imbecility

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Why not?

QB is a hard decision. I can think of one legitimate franchise QB under 30 that hit free agency in my lifetime, that was Drew Brees and we were high on Romo going into that offseason and Bledsoe just had a halfway decent year. The only QB worth anything in his first draft was Carson Palmer...all the other QBs had below average careers and we never had a shot at Palmer.

The only questionable decision he made was passing on Aaron Rodgers for Marcus Spears. A lot of teams passed on Rodgers that season and we ended up with Romo eventually being a franchise QB so it’s not that big of a deal.

If you’re going to question his decisions, tell me what he should’ve done different during that year or during his time here...even in retrospect I can’t see anything better he should’ve done. Carter showed some promise and won the job in camp.

"You all act like you can dial 1-800 and get a quarterback."

Bill Parcells

Brees wasn't viewed as a franchise QB when he hit free agency. In fact, that is what led the Chargers to draft Rivers. They were pursuing a franchise QB. When Brees hit free agency, he had some sort of shoulder injury(forgot the specifics), but the Saints went after him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Quarterback commandments:

1. Ignore other opinions – Press or TV, agents or advisors, family or wives, friends or relatives, fans or hangers on – ignore them on matters of football, they don’t know what’s happening here.
2. Clowns can’t run a huddle – don’t forget to have fun but don’t be the class clown. Clowns and leaders don’t mix. Clowns can’t run a huddle.
3. Fat QBs can’t avoid the rush – A quarterback throws with his legs more than his arm. Squat and run.
4. Know your job cold – this is not a game without errors. Keep yours to a minimum. Study.
5. Know your own players – Who’s fast? Who can catch? Who needs encouragement? Be precise. Know your opponent.
6. Be the same guy every day – in condition. Preparing to lead. Studying your plan. A coach can’t prepare you for every eventuality. Prepare yourself and remember, impulse decisions usually equal mistakes.
7. Throwing the ball away is a good play – sacks, interceptions and fumbles are bad plays. Protect against those.
8. Learn to manage the game – personnel, play call, motions, ball handling, proper reads, accurate throws, play fakes. Clock. Clock. Clock. Don’t you ever lose track of the clock.
9. Get your team in the end zone – passing stats and TD passes are not how you’re going to be judged. Your job is to get your team in the end zone and that is how you will be judged.
10. Don’t panic – when all around you is in chaos, you must be the hand that steers the ship. If you have a panic button so will everyone else. Our ship can’t have a panic button.
11. Don’t be a celebrity QB – we don’t need any of those. We need battlefield commanders that are willing to fight it out, every day, every week and every season and lead their team to win after win after win.

How many commandments did Romo successfully keep after Parcells left?
There's some really good advice there. Few QB 100% live up to that always.

But nobody ever mistaked Parcells for a QB guru.

His preference was to have a totally dominant defense and run game carry his teams

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
There's some really good advice there. Few QB 100% live up to that always.

But nobody ever mistaked Parcells for a QB guru.

His preference was to have a totally dominant defense and run game carry his teams
Well we're on to the run game carrying the team but the defense still has a lot to be desired.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Once Bill Parcells made the decision that Quincy "the bong" Carter would be his QB he became unqualified to judge QB's.

Right.

He arrived to that investment and moved on quickly. Even after a 10-6 season and a playoff birth. He cut a guy who got us to the playoffs. You must be hitting the bong hard, as you seem to have the chain of events backwards

He also quickly sifted through Hutch and Henson, despite the team's investment.

Yours may legitimately be the worst take in recent memory.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Right.

He arrived to that investment and moved on quickly. Even after a 10-6 season and a playoff birth. He cut a guy who got us to the playoffs. You must be hitting the bong hard, as you seem to have the chain of events backwards

He also quickly sifted through Hutch and Henson, despite the team's investment.

Yours may legitimately be the worst take in recent memory.

Lol...ouch

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t care about Romo know, but Dak does a great job with most of these. I’d say all but maybe #5 actually, and probably that one, too.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Quarterback commandments:

1. Ignore other opinions – Press or TV, agents or advisors, family or wives, friends or relatives, fans or hangers on – ignore them on matters of football, they don’t know what’s happening here.
2. Clowns can’t run a huddle – don’t forget to have fun but don’t be the class clown. Clowns and leaders don’t mix. Clowns can’t run a huddle.
3. Fat QBs can’t avoid the rush – A quarterback throws with his legs more than his arm. Squat and run.
4. Know your job cold – this is not a game without errors. Keep yours to a minimum. Study.
5. Know your own players – Who’s fast? Who can catch? Who needs encouragement? Be precise. Know your opponent.
6. Be the same guy every day – in condition. Preparing to lead. Studying your plan. A coach can’t prepare you for every eventuality. Prepare yourself and remember, impulse decisions usually equal mistakes.
7. Throwing the ball away is a good play – sacks, interceptions and fumbles are bad plays. Protect against those.
8. Learn to manage the game – personnel, play call, motions, ball handling, proper reads, accurate throws, play fakes. Clock. Clock. Clock. Don’t you ever lose track of the clock.
9. Get your team in the end zone – passing stats and TD passes are not how you’re going to be judged. Your job is to get your team in the end zone and that is how you will be judged.
10. Don’t panic – when all around you is in chaos, you must be the hand that steers the ship. If you have a panic button so will everyone else. Our ship can’t have a panic button.
11. Don’t be a celebrity QB – we don’t need any of those. We need battlefield commanders that are willing to fight it out, every day, every week and every season and lead their team to win after win after win.

How many commandments did Romo successfully keep after Parcells left?
All of them

robjay04

Reaction score
Brees wasn't viewed as a franchise QB when he hit free agency. In fact, that is what led the Chargers to draft Rivers. They were pursuing a franchise QB. When Brees hit free agency, he had some sort of shoulder injury(forgot the specifics), but the Saints went after him.

He was injured during I believe the last game he played with the Chargers. And no...he wasn’t viewed as a franchise QB when the Chargers drafted Rivers but he proved his worth the next two seasons with them leading to him being viewed as a franchise QB by the Saints when he hit the market.

I thought he was a franchise QB as well at that point. He was definately the best QB I can remember hitting the market from an age/production standpoint since I’ve been following the NFL.