Bills aren't happy with Washington after McKissic negotiations

Jfconrow

Reaction score
It is what it is. Players don't have any loyalty to anyone anymore. It's business.

I will go play for a shiity team if I can get just a few more dollars and the agents are on board because they get more money too.

Just business.

Who am I to lose sleep over it?

This one is weird though because he signed for the same amount, also the Bills actually have a shot at making a super bowl, Washington is not even a contender. I have to say Buffalo is pretty cold though, I’d probably stay in DC if I could.

Manster68

Reaction score
The bottom line is this:
Dallas invested way too much of their cap on players who "Cannot sink the 8-Ball."
They have no bargaining power to bring in players that can do such that.
Dallas will be in the black hole of cap purgatory as long as Dak is our QB, and his contract is no longer the responsibility of the Cowboys.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
they have children, mothers, and wives.

Why $hould they care

Its funny how them top Qbs draw them players in

These guys are rich.

They want to win a ring or get paid a premium.

That's where the Loyalty is

Plus they got a legal weed dispensary near Mile High.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
they have children, mothers, and wives.

Why $hould they care

They should do what they want to do. I think people are just surprised at the length some of these players will go for an extra 5 bucks. Hell, I see it at my place of employment. Take a stressful job at a worse location for an extra 75 bucks a week.

Take Von Miller, bless his soul. But for me, you couldn't pay me enough to get me to move from Los Angeles to Buffalo. Let alone doing it when I'm already financially set. But if he doesn't mind, that's all that matters.

But I kind of like all of this backstabbing. It's entertaining.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
They should do what they want to do. I think people are just surprised at the length some of these players will go for an extra 5 bucks. Hell, I see it at my place of employment. Take a stressful job at a worse location for an extra 75 bucks a week.

Take Von Miller, bless his soul. But for me, you couldn't pay me enough to get me to move from Los Angeles to Buffalo. Let alone doing it when I'm already financially set. But if he doesn't mind, that's all that matters.

But I kind of like all of this backstabbing. It's entertaining.

He's jumping from a Superbowl winner to a real contender in Buffalo. And he's getting like 20 million a year (52 million guaranteed) not to mention new endorsements and jersey sales

$52 million guaranteed is a little more than $75 a week but I feel ya. Lmao

Not very many teams repeat as sb champs. He'll prolly be there for 3 yrs max. He may have a better shot at getting another ring in buffalo than in La.

He did enough to get the Rams a ring. Maybe he can do it for Buffalo

Flamma

Reaction score
It’s ruining the game. You can’t develop talent and keep it anymore. Once they perform well and are up for a new contract it’s off to the highest bidder. That’s bs

Gone are the great teams. Even if a team manages to put together a great team, they can't sustain it. It dissolves. But people like watching mediocre if it gives everyone a fighting chance.

Flamma

Reaction score
Sure you can. You just can't be stupid and pay for everything you "think" is talent. Everyone has the same cap at baseline, it's just a matter of who knows how not to waste it that determines the haves and have-nots.

An NFL without the salary cap (and as a consequence, a cash floor) in the era of TV deals being the highest single source of revenue doesn't work. Nobody is tuning in for a game that features a team with a $500M roster versus a $150M roster.

All teams have the same boundaries. You can't overspend, and you can't underspend. All teams face the same decisions regarding keep/losing talent. It's not like Dallas has been so blessed with drafting ability that they are inherently at a disadvantage when it comes to free agency based solely on an inability to keep everyone worth a new contract. You want no salary cap because you think that will give Dallas an advantage. Don't sugar-coat it. The salary cap is only detrimental to Dallas because Jerry and Steven absolutely suck at managing it. They haven't picked up a big, outside free agent, contract in nearly a decade and still have the salary cap problems they had in 2012. Always over, and now going back to restructuring for the sake of being compliant.

There are other ways to approach this without a hard cap VS no cap. And I don't believe people wouldn't tune in to see a 500M roster compete against a 150M dollar roster. They would. Because they tune in now to watch two mediocre teams play just about every Monday and Thursday night.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Gone are the great teams. Even if a team manages to put together a great team, they can't sustain it. It dissolves. But people like watching mediocre if it gives everyone a fighting chance.
:hammer:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
There are other ways to approach this without a hard cap VS no cap. And I don't believe people wouldn't tune in to see a 500M roster compete against a 150M dollar roster. They would. Because they tune in now to watch two mediocre teams play just about every Monday and Thursday night.

That's because the score remains close enough to make the game interesting even if it's not a great on-field performance, and there's only 1 game (for most weeks) to choose from.

If a game is over at halftime, so is the viewership. How many non-Dallas blowouts have you stuck around to watch on Sunday? Nobody wants to watch backups on good teams play against starters on awful teams. What I described was essentially preseason football between a contender and a 1st overall pick candidate, and who in the hell watches that outside of the team they follow?

And sure, they could institute a luxury tax like the MLB, but that's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. There is no inherent problem with the salary cap. Personally, I don't care for the idea of any form of a "Get out of Jail free" card when it comes to the cap. If you can't manage the cap then either hire someone who can or be stuck sucking. It's a non-issue. It's been almost 30 years since the cap was introduced, and almost half the league has won one in that timespan. Figure it out, or don't.

Flamma

Reaction score
That's because the score remains close enough to make the game interesting even if it's not a great on-field performance, and there's only 1 game (for most weeks) to choose from.

If a game is over at halftime, so is the viewership. How many non-Dallas blowouts have you stuck around to watch on Sunday? Nobody wants to watch backups on good teams play against starters on awful teams. What I described was essentially preseason football between a contender and a 1st overall pick candidate, and who in the hell watches that outside of the team they follow?

And sure, they could institute a luxury tax like the MLB, but that's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. There is no inherent problem with the salary cap. Personally, I don't care for the idea of any form of a "Get out of Jail free" card when it comes to the cap. If you can't manage the cap then either hire someone who can or be stuck sucking. It's a non-issue. It's been almost 30 years since the cap was introduced, and almost half the league has won one in that timespan. Figure it out, or don't.

We still have awful teams. We still have games over at halftime. The only thing we don't have are great teams. We're watching mediocre garbage. We watch teams tank every year. The product is a joke since the salary cap. It's watched because we don't have an alternative.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
We still have awful teams. We still have games over at halftime. The only thing we don't have are great teams. We're watching mediocre garbage. We watch teams tank every year. The product is a joke since the salary cap. It's watched because we don't have an alternative.

So because there are awful teams and blowouts, we should go to a system that encourages more of those outcomes solely for the sake of having just a couple of franchises always be in contention? Great plan.

How would going without the cap result in something better than "mediocre garbage". I think it would result in more mediocre garbage because uncontested games are inherently garbage and can barely be called mediocre.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. The cap isn't going anywhere. Dallas will either learn to work within it's boundaries or continue to flounder until the end of time.

jnday

Reaction score
you do realize Josh Gordon played in the NFL last year right? I don’t understand why people insist on believing that no team would have gave Randy Gregory a chance. while he was suspended, it cost Dallas nothing to retain his rights and anything they did off the field for him, was only because of what he could do on the field. At the end of the day, Gregory didn’t owe Dallas anything
What other owner and team would have put up with Gregory’s suspensions and constant mental issues? The answer is nobody wanted him during that time. Gregory has forgotten that Dallas stuck with him and helped to have a career in football. He would be bagging groceries if it wasn’t for Jerry Jones. He owes his whole career to one person and that is Jerry. Other teams did not want him at all, but Jerry stood up for him. Like most NFL players, appreciation and loyalty means nothing to Gregory. Gregory would have been out of football for several years if not for Jerry, but money comes before loyalty. Jerry needs to stop actually caring and helping these troubled players. None of them appreciates it at the end of the day. Jerry needs to be as cold hearted as possible with players and treat them like nothing more than a commodity that makes him money. The personal help for players and actually caring about them needs to stop. Belichick will cut them or trade players like kids trading baseball cards. He doesn’t put up with players like Gregory and he would have been cut years ago. Everybody has seen how well it works for him.

jnday

Reaction score
I hate mediocre and I hate the direction that the NFL is going. It’s sad that the league was ruined and now the best teams are not good enough to carry the jock straps of the 90’s teams.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
What other owner and team would have put up with Gregory’s suspensions and constant mental issues?

I don't know, possible Cleveland, New England, Seattle or Kansas City since all of them gave him opportunities despite him having a similar suspension history

The answer is nobody wanted him during that time. Gregory has forgotten that Dallas stuck with him and helped to have a career in football. He would be bagging groceries if it wasn’t for Jerry Jones. He owes his whole career to one person and that is Jerry. Other teams did not want him at all, but Jerry stood up for him.

I don't get what you're basing this assertion off of. Maybe *you* think no one should have given him a chance, I don't know, but I do know Josh Gordon played in 12 games and started 7 this year for Kansas City. Darren Waller was suspended for 4 games in 2016 and for all of 2017 and he was released and signed by Oakland in 2018. Even made a pro-bowl in 2020. When it comes to weed, guys get 2nd, 3rd and 4th and 5th chances, it happens and I'm giving you evidence. You are welcome to not agree with them getting chances, but to assume someone who clearly has ability...as over rated as it may be, would be bagging groceries for failed weed tests in 2022 is laughable.

Like most NFL players, appreciation and loyalty means nothing to Gregory. Gregory would have been out of football for several years if not for Jerry, but money comes before loyalty. Jerry needs to stop actually caring and helping these troubled players. None of them appreciates it at the end of the day. Jerry needs to be as cold hearted as possible with players and treat them like nothing more than a commodity that makes him money. The personal help for players and actually caring about them needs to stop. Belichick will cut them or trade players like kids trading baseball cards. He doesn’t put up with players like Gregory and he would have been cut years ago. Everybody has seen how well it works for him.

In 2018 NE traded for Josh Gordon. He played in 11 games before stepping away to check himself into rehab, missing the final 5 games as well as the postseason (won the super bowl). It was also announced that he faced another indefinite ban for violating the terms of his reinstatement. He was able to avoid suspension, but was waived from injury reserve after 5 games or so.

Now did Belichick sign him out of the goodness of his heart? Absolutely not, he signed him because he thought he could help him win, *despite* his unreliability

Did Belichick keep him in 2019, despite stepping away from the team and facing another suspension because he wanted him to have just one more shot? No, he did it because he thought he could contribute. When he was injured, he was discarded.

And do I think Jerry kept Gregory around because he's some patron saint? No, he did it because he thought Gregory would help him win.

Did he pay Gregory while he was suspended? Not that I know of, and he shouldn't have.

Did he pay Gregory above his value in 2021 out of the goodness of his heart? No, and he shouldn't have.

Flamma

Reaction score
So because there are awful teams and blowouts, we should go to a system that encourages more of those outcomes solely for the sake of having just a couple of franchises always be in contention? Great plan.

How would going without the cap result in something better than "mediocre garbage". I think it would result in more mediocre garbage because uncontested games are inherently garbage and can barely be called mediocre.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. The cap isn't going anywhere. Dallas will either learn to work within it's boundaries or continue to flounder until the end of time.

I kind of agree with you too. It can get a bit boring without a cap. But like I said before, there is a medium between no cap and a hard cap.

Flamma

Reaction score
I hate mediocre and I hate the direction that the NFL is going. It’s sad that the league was ruined and now the best teams are not good enough to carry the jock straps of the 90’s teams.

I wish they would do something like give a cap discount off of resigning players you drafted. That would allow teams that drafted well to sign more impact players if they chose to do so.

But yeah, even in the 80s if you were old enough to remember. Over half that decade had one crazy good team after the other.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hand shake or verbal agreements don’t mean squat when these players hit free agency.

And these teams that get their noses bent should consider how Von Miller found out he was traded or Bobby Wagner found out he was released.