Blake Jarwin: The Back-Up TE

conner01

Reaction score
Best passing offense in the league by most measures. Second-best scoring offense in the league behind Baltimore. I don't know that they "need" to do anything.
Because we don’t have the defense to stop another good offense from scoring with us

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm sure the response will be that he didn't have a great 2017, so that's not such a big deal, but in more of a shared role and playing fewer snaps it isn't bad. As things are, we are on pace to get 971 yards and 8 TDs from our TE's, which will be the most we've had from the position since 2013. I'm hoping we will see more from Jarwin and the pace will increase after he's made some big plays the last couple of games.

I agree.

I said in another thread that Jarwin is better at bigger plays but Witten is better at moving the chains. We need both. I'd like to see more of Schultz as well.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witt's blocking ain't top notch. I thought we are a passing team now, since Zeke can't do anything and is overpaid.
Passing the ball doesn't preclude a TE on the line of scrimmage, and besides, it's never just all passing or all running. The hope is still to be balanced, but some early deficits and inconsistency in the running game has caused us to pass more.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s earned the chance to be featured more prominently.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree.

I said in another thread that Jarwin is better at bigger plays but Witten is better at moving the chains. We need both. I'd like to see more of Schultz as well.
What some may not be considering also is that Jarwin's big play ability has been enhanced because he gets forgotten by opposing defenses. For example, on the 23 yard gain yesterday there was nobody within 7-8 yards of him when he caught the ball. Obviously he did more after the catch than Witten could have in the same situation, but the point is if the roles were reversed and Jarwin was playing 76% of the snaps and Witten 38%, teams would game plan more for Jarwin being in the lineup.

That said, I don't want anyone to get me wrong and think I'm trying to disparage Jarwin, because I'm not. Clearly he is the more athletic of the two, and the more capable of making big plays. I personally would love to see him get a couple more targets each game.

Last edited:

Cmac

Reaction score
Passing the ball doesn't preclude a TE on the line of scrimmage, and besides, it's never just all passing or all running. The hope is still to be balanced, but some early deficits and inconsistency in the running game has caused us to pass more.

You lost me on that one. Free Jarwin!

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
I agree.

Good way to retain Jarwin as well. Folks are prob right and then he'd be priced out of range.

Increase his snaps during playoffs.. wink wink

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You lost me on that one. Free Jarwin!
What I'm saying is (1) using Witten as a in line TE does not mean we can't pass the ball, and (2) we aren't trying to become a pass only team anyway - that the goal is still as much balance as possible. Going back to your earlier post, while it's true Zeke has had a tough time the last 2 weeks (some being the fault of the O-Line), he is still on pace for 1,400+ yards and 11 TD's, which does not equate to Zeke not being able to do anything. As for him being overpaid, that's irrelevant to his usage. He gets paid the same whether we use him or not.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Says every play-by-play guy who calls our game. Is he really just Witten's back-up, spelling the old man periodically during the game, or is there some situational strategy behind when and how he is being used?
he is getting about 50% of the snaps Witten is getting, its about 200+ snaps now. so its not like he is not getting in the game. he is good at certain things and not so good in others. he is best matched up as the 3rd or 4th option. he is not so good going against the top level defenders. tends to disappear. his biggest games are against the giants for some reason. makes those spectacular long catches. outside of that he has had two long catches. he needs to be more consistent to make the routine 8-10 yard catch and he is not consistently able to do that.

with that said, his play is improving, from week 1 to now and we see him more and see Dak target him more...