Blame should fall on Tomsula more than Nolan

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
All offseason and into week 1 we heard how great the DL would be with Griffen, Poe and Tank.

I’ve been willing to give the guys the benefit of the doubt given I think it’s vastly underrated how much no offseason strength and conditioning is affecting the older players who need time to get their body going.

However there’s a difference between being bad and being atrocious through 4 games. The DL is the healthiest position on the defense. It may take guys time to reach their peak but there’s no reason 3 linemen are in the bottom 4 in run win percent. That’s on Tomsula more than Nolan for that stat.

Blame Nolan for not having help in position behind but trench play is more 1 on 1 ability than scheme. To me it’s Tomsula that gets the biggest blame.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
They all share equal blame. Players, HC, defensive line coach, DC, all of em. This entire unit has been playing like straight garbage. Only game they looked somewhat competent in is the Rams game and they still looked stupid there.

Fire em all.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All offseason and into week 1 we heard how great the DL would be with Griffen, Poe and Tank.

I’ve been willing to give the guys the benefit of the doubt given I think it’s vastly underrated how much no offseason strength and conditioning is affecting the older players who need time to get their body going.

However there’s a difference between being bad and being atrocious through 4 games. The DL is the healthiest position on the defense. It may take guys time to reach their peak but there’s no reason 3 linemen are in the bottom 4 in run win percent. That’s on Tomsula more than Nolan for that stat.

Blame Nolan for not having help in position behind but trench play is more 1 on 1 ability than scheme. To me it’s Tomsula that gets the biggest blame.

Is this pff nonsense...

Jaylon has veen worse than any DL. Safety Thompson worse than Jaylon until he was benched.

Gerald McCoy gone for the year. Is that healthy...

quickccc

Reaction score

DL lost Gerald McCoy for the season in just first few opening weeks, while Dlaw has clearly been limpy-gimpy with his lingering knee injury
How has DL been healthy for most part,.. and it's Nolan's call to keep jumping to this 4-3,..3-4...5-2 ...hybrid switch up scheme seemingly
every other three to four plays, that has the players heads just spinning with mass confusion.

was Jim Tomsula doing this when he was DL coach for Washington....... or when he was DL coach with the Niners ?

Majic

Reaction score
Tomsula did a good job in Washington and his highly respected. I still think this was is on the players, they need to get their act together

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

We were already light on pass rushing DTs with McCoy, but it got disastrous w/o him. Hill is our #1 option. He's getting the "yay, you're not horrible" treatment, but he's doesn't make him any good, or even average. He's a young guy who might be average against the pass someday.

I've never thought DLaw was that great. His ceiling is very good. Back half of last season, it was half a sack and meh on the various pressure numbers. So him doing nothing, with the excuse of being injured added on top, isn't a big shock to me. But if he were healthy, we would be doing better.

My biggest disappointment is Griffin. I didn't follow him, but he seemed like a legit DE. Not giving us anything.

Poe took some time to ramp up. I think the lack of offseason conditioning was probably hardest on the Fat Bois. He's ok now. He's taking up blockers. That's what he's here for.

Health has been a big issue.We lost our presumed best DT in McCoy to injury. Lawrence is playing worse for injury.
And Griffin and Crawford are just not delivering. We've taken all our hits at pass rush DT.

The run defense DTs looks bad because we play Hill, who's bad at it, and Jaylon suks. He's the guy they protect so he can make plays, and he's awful.

blueblood70

Reaction score
wow the new i know the issues post keep coming,,no ones safe..

next up what the trainers the issue with all the injuries we've heard that before,

uniform guys using too much starch, cleats not right
FIRE THEM ALL

Pathetic fan base..I see the issues its Fans expectations..

all the fans know everything but the Coaches, owner, gm, fo, and all the players know nothing. Lmao

Aven8

Reaction score
Poe and Hill have been playing well and doing their jobs. The DE’s however haven’t maintained gap integrity and are not setting the edge. They have also lost containment a lot. Lots of free lancing going on at End.

That’s why we are getting killed on the edges.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Poe and Hill have been playing well and doing their jobs. The DE’s however haven’t maintained gap integrity and are not setting the edge. They have also lost containment a lot. Lots of free lancing going on at End.

that and LBs not getting there either..

fans are crippled emotionally right now, there no ONE player, One coach, or One plan that is going to fix this overnight. Changes are being made regardless of what being said publicly and coaches and layers are working to make changes but they just cant flip a switch and run a different defense.. its slow process

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They had fewer defenders than there were blockers several times during the Browns game. Combined with the fact that Dallas doesn't have an LB or S who can make a stop in the whole, individual DL play shouldn't really be the concern. They're outschemed, and unblocked defenders aren't making tackles - both of which are independent of DL play.

On the second and third plays here, specifically, the defense has no chance. There are 5 play-side blockers and only 4 defenders lol

I heard this board complain all offseason about how they needed more meat, and wanted bigger bodies and blah blah blah. This is the consequence of that. Teams are too smart and too athletic now for run stoppers to matter, because they allow offenses to win the numbers game so easily.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score

" Poe playing well" ? ...really ?... :facepalm:

blueblood70

Reaction score
They had fewer defenders than there were blockers several times during the Browns game. Combined with the fact that Dallas doesn't have an LB or S who can make a stop in the whole, individual DL play shouldn't really be the concern. They're outschemed, and unblocked defenders aren't making tackles - both of which are independent of DL play.

On the second and third plays here, specifically, the defense has no chance. There are 5 play-side blockers and only 4 defenders lol

I heard this board complain all offseason about how they needed more meat, and wanted bigger bodies and blah blah blah. This is the consequence of that. Teams are too smart and too athletic now for run stoppers to matter, because they allow offenses to win the numbers game so easily.

im starting to buy in on Jsmith he either is playing far out of position do to Lee and LVE being out, which is causing him to think to much in the new defense, or hes that bad..he got washed out of everyone of those plays and that looked like his responsibility..

i try and keep an open mind and defend players given the circumstances but thinking Lee ad LVE covered up JS deficiency's and hes now exposed.

i do know my eyes also see LB and SS play is making the DL look worse..

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm anticipating Mike Nolan is likely to become the next coach to be dismissed in like manner that OL Coach, Paul Alexander, was last year! His defense is indefensible. I hope we can count on his exit being a swift and effective one! o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: BAT

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
im starting to buy in on Jsmith he either is playing far out of position do to Lee and LVE being out, which is causing him to think to much in the new defense, or hes that bad..he got washed out of everyone of those plays and that looked like his responsibility..

i try and keep an open mind and defend players given the circumstances but thinking Lee ad LVE covered up JS deficiency's and hes now exposed.

i do know my eyes also see LB and SS play is making the DL look worse..
I don't think he's looked any different than he has for the last 3 years.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Tomsula failed in San Fran as well as Washington. He was the only DL coach available when MM was searching for one.

Tomsula needs to go back to the Europe league!